Darkside Calling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roverfj1200

Reaction score
The darksde is calling me... So I have a few questions....

What is the max size batch in a 70 litre pot

And

Does anyone use a crab pot burner...

Now talk me out of it..........Aaaaaaahhhhhhhh

Cheers.

dont do it....

go back to K & K, it dont get any better, your wasting your time,

it costs too much,
it takes too long,
you need to much gear,

70 litres thats a big pot,

I reckon 3 full batches with some water to top up or around 48-52 litres in the FV, dont know for sure never used a 70 litre pot, just quick calcs in me head,

anyway it doesnt matter,'

your really better off with cans of goop and white sugar,

where all here to.....help. :icon_cheers:

is the pot actually 70L? Because sometime when they sell pots they round up. My 140L pot is 135L in reality.

I used to use an actual 70L pot for doubles, but its just on the small side. Maybe if you did 2x 20L batches it would be ok.

If you haven't bought the pot yet i'd look for something alittle larger, like 80+ litres. If you've already got it then buy some voille and grain and get cracking.

If the crab pot can boil 60L of water it can boil 60L of wort. Give it a go, try it on 30L first to see if you can do a single and then try it on 60.

At last some sound advice...about time up till now its all been pretty much useless..

lets see 70L. triple reduce boil batch at 60L end of boil split in to 3 cubes. then 5L of water added to each cube at fermentation.
other than that double batch at 56L pre boil with a final volume of 40ish .

as for the crab burner will it have enough power to get it to the boil.
personally i use the spiral burner with a medium pressure reg.

70L is a good size for a biab double (40L)

Worst case you Need to add a couple of litres of water after
Mashout depending on target OG

Theoretically you could scale up the MaxiBIAB method, it is helpful where kettle volume is a limiting factor, so take the kettle volume and add 25% to give an estimate of the final brewlength. However, based on a few different experiences, MaxiBIAB doesn't seem to scale up linearly, so I'm being conservative in estimating around 80 to 85L in the fermenter by that route.
I would though strongly recommend doing a few stock BIABs while the training wheels are on, so get a decent handle on the processes and become comfortable with your equipment before launching a biggie, otherwise you can be guaranteed that things will go to shit pretty quickly.
Also make sure that you get a BIAB bag which will accommodate a bigger grain bill- using smaller bags is a world of unnecessary pain, so remember that the kettle should fit inside the bag.
HTH! :icon_cheers:

I will be happy with a finished size of 46 litres or there about's.

Looking in to purchasing the equipment needed so that is why the questions.

Reading everything I can find on the whole process.

Would think a urn the easiest to use but limited to 40L.

The crab pot burner is 104 Mj/hr or there abouts should be plenty at a guess but conformation is always good.

Cheers.

Do you have any days off during the week? I'm brewing like a storm trooper at the moment, waaaaayyy behind on my planned schedule - Bribie Island and the Dark Side are only a 25 min drive from Petrie.

Do you have any days off during the week? I'm brewing like a storm trooper at the moment, waaaaayyy behind on my planned schedule - Bribie Island and the Dark Side are only a 25 min drive from Petrie.

Thanks Bribe but there's this thing called work that keeps getting in the way of a good brew day..LOL

And that bloody thing called "Wife" can throw everything off the rails.....

So weekends the only time I have..

Cheers...

Yup I suffer from the opposite problem as I work Thurs to Sunday and my social life is therefore restricted to the retired, unemployed and work dodgers :rolleyes:
However I'm off this coming Saturday if interested, let me know one way or the other :icon_cheers:

I do 46L batches with my 70L Robinox pot EASILY. Pre-boil volume is around 56L and I lose approx 10L with boil off and cooling. I reckon I would boil 60L in it no worries at all but it'd have to be a simple beer with only a couple of hop additions or the wort would leap out.

vader_phone.jpg

It is the Supreme Chancellor, he has a message for you, "The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural."

That's a bit harsh, nothing unnatural about Braumeisters. Well not too unnatural.

Thought I was clicking on a thread about porters and stouts. :chug:

I'd love to watch a BribieG brew day, or anyones before I'd begun BIAB. It's not rocket science, but I tend to overcomplicate things when I'm learning.
You could always go the neext best thing and youtube BIAB brewing.

IMO 60 litres is too much! That will fill 3 kegs after chucking out the dregs. Don't know if I'd want 3 kegs of identical beer. I would like to be able to brew double batches and give each one a different yeast now and again though. 40-42 litres into FV's would accomplish that.
I'd sooner have plenty of headspace in my kettle than have to watch it like a hawk in case of the wort jumping out.

Thought I was clicking on a thread about porters and stouts. :chug:

I'd love to watch a BribieG brew day, or anyones before I'd begun BIAB. It's not rocket science, but I tend to overcomplicate things when I'm learning.
You could always go the neext best thing and youtube BIAB brewing.

IMO 60 litres is too much! That will fill 3 kegs after chucking out the dregs. Don't know if I'd want 3 kegs of identical beer. I would like to be able to brew double batches and give each one a different yeast now and again though. 40-42 litres into FV's would accomplish that.
I'd sooner have plenty of headspace in my kettle than have to watch it like a hawk in case of the wort jumping out.
This is easy to overcome. Just brew a big batch using 100% base malt and bitter lightly with a neutral, high AA hop that is going to suit your desired styles. When you open a cube up to ferment, draw off 4 or so litres, bring to the boil and add the aroma and bitterness charges. You can also add the juice of some steeped crystal that you have prepared earlier

I have done this successfully using a 98L pot to get 4 cubes of 'base' beer - biab as well

I think you definitely need to keep the initial cube bittering light. I brew my IPA to be around 3% with 5gm of high AA hops like Stella per 750ml bottle and after a few weeks of storage yellow lupulin begins to precipitate and become noticeable on the inside of the bottles.

Back