Dark Munich smash

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what temp did you mash at ? low 60's like MHB suggested ? you said it was first time using that pot. you confident in the temp you had ?

what temp did you mash at ? low 60's like MHB suggested ? you said it was first time using that pot. you confident in the temp you had ?

I'm not and i believe that is my problem, i expected the grain to reduce the temp more than it did. In hindsight i could have thrown some ice in to get it down but didn't think of it at the time.

Strike water temperature can be calculated on lots of online sites, just find one that thinks in metric (rationally).
Or you can calculate it your self, remember that the calculation is all on mass but 1kg of water is a litre (ish).
Strike Temp = [((0.4*Grain Mass)+Water Mass)*Target Temp]-(0.4*Grain Mass*Grain Temp) / Water Mass

It actually makes a lot more sense if you derive it from the standard dilution equations but that's another story.
Your grain temperature should be pretty close to ambient, or stick your thermometer in the middle of the grist for a few minutes and use the reading.
Mark

I'm not and i believe that is my problem, i expected the grain to reduce the temp more than it did. In hindsight i could have thrown some ice in to get it down but didn't think of it at the time.
what was your stirke temp and how much grain and water ?

I do no sparge as well . most of the time my recipes are 6kg of grain and 35l of water

I lose 2 degress tops once well stirred

5kg grain , i checked against a few different strike water calculators and they were all a little different. So i went with 30ltrs since i read on another post that 1kg makes 5ltr wort and requires 6ltrs of water.
I have moved my fermenter from the fridge to the laundry not that its any warmer and put a heat belt on and actually got a little krausen forming so it is fermenting a bit more now.

Back