Dark Maple Ipa Toucan Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maz91379

Reaction score
I find it fairly interesting how people tend to have similar ideas on here on a regular basis. Putting this down tomorrow any suggestions to get more of an ipa flavor how does doing a small hop boil work? Want to make sure it isn't too bitter but lots hoppy which i liked about epic ipa.

Coopers Pale Ale Kit
Coopers Dark Ale
25g galaxy
50g chinook
200ml maple syrup
300g brown sugar
Nottingham

Is this too much sugar/malt overall where will my final alcohol content be around? i'm thinking about 10-20 g hops steeped at a light boil in 5 liters or so with brown sugar and maple for 10 to 15 min then dry hop the rest of the hops. Anyone know what bittering and flavor hops are used in the two above kits? Pride of ringwood?

You've probably got the hop boil about right. Do a 20min addition if you can cool the boil quickly, else do a 10min boil; the two cans come together at roughly 50IBU so you might prefer to use the hops solely for flavour and aroma.

I expect pride of ringwood to be the hop used in both kits

Anyone else had a slow start with nottingham?

pitched it at around midnight yesterday no visual activity / no krausen yet didn't take a hydrometer reading yesterday so not sure if it's just being quiet . Think i've used it before with no issues ( if i remember it started and finished super quick with a giant krausen).

Anyone else had a slow start with nottingham?

pitched it at around midnight yesterday no visual activity / no krausen yet didn't take a hydrometer reading yesterday so not sure if it's just being quiet . Think i've used it before with no issues ( if i remember it started and finished super quick with a giant krausen).

Tell us if you get any of the Maple flavour in the brew, I like the idea of a maple syrup brew but I read Charlie Papazian's bible and he say you'll need like 3 kilo of Maple in the beer to get any flavour of it.

About 42 hours and no krausen or visible activty other than some condensation on the lid and very small groups of bubbles give it another day or re pitch? My yeast was a 7 gram pack that my LHBS repacks thinking it might be bad. As i skipped taking a hydrometer reading pitch day might take one now and see if it goes down by tomorrow.

Also will do on maple flavor if it ends up working out.

About 42 hours and no krausen or visible activty other than some condensation on the lid and very small groups of bubbles give it another day or re pitch? My yeast was a 7 gram pack that my LHBS repacks thinking it might be bad. As i skipped taking a hydrometer reading pitch day might take one now and see if it goes down by tomorrow.

Also will do on maple flavor if it ends up working out.

what volume was your wort? with only 7g of yeast that will be way under pitched and will take a fair while to start check out the yeast pitching calc on mrmalty.com if you havent already

what volume was your wort? with only 7g of yeast that will be way under pitched and will take a fair while to start check out the yeast pitching calc on mrmalty.com if you havent already

good point from jpr; also check temps.

Being a strongish beer and coldish weather it make take awhile for the yeast to truly kick into gear. Mind you condensation on the lid is a sign of fermentation so things are probably just going slow

23.5 liters and it seems to be staying around 18 to 22 which seems to either indicate yeasties are at work or i need a new thermometer as my ambient house temp is around 16 or 17. I got impatient before reading this and chucked one of the packs from the kits in. Hopefully the nottingham takes over with the headstart.

Kinda jumping the gun lots but tasted my hydro reading today! I'll reserve final judgment until after a few weeks into finish/bottle conditioning but it seems any sort of maple flavor got overwhelmed by hops. I can definitely taste the extra flavor hops which is actually pretty cool. It sorta tastes like a pale ale which is a success I should have used just a little bit more flavor hops and dark malt. A bit disappointed by a strange kinda soapy homebrew after taste. Hopefully it mellows out in bottle / after another 2 weeks / dry hopping .

The next 5-7 weeks need to hurry up!

Back