Dark lager help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chopdog

Reaction score
G'day all, I'm brewing a dark larger and I was cross checking with brewing classic styles. Jamil advises to do a 90 min boil. Does this mean I let it boil for half hour before first hop edition?

Cheers

Many people do that, as they want the extra 30 minutes to volatilise the SMM (DMS precursor) from the wort. You can add hops at 90 mins if you want, but it depends what you're after specifically.

chopdog said:
G'day all, I'm brewing a dark larger and I was cross checking with brewing classic styles. Jamil advises to do a 90 min boil. Does this mean I let it boil for half hour before first hop edition?

Cheers
Yes,

Good luck, nice style.

Screwy

chopdog said:

Cheers
Yes.

Dark lagers & ales are my priority now in preparation for Canberra's approaching winter. eg. just started drinking two schwarzbier recipes sourced from Jamil's "... Classic ..." and one from the magazine "Beer & Brewer". Note: Jamil's & Ross's (in the AHB database) are almost identical... Both recipes nice and no favourite to date. Munich amounts is the biggest difference between the two.

Jamil/Ross:

Munich 56% Pils 32% Crystal (light) 4% Chocolate 4% Roast Barley 2% Carafa 2%

Mag:

Munich 28% Pils 48% Wheat 15% Crystal 5% Carafa 4%

Mine recipe was what I had in stock
3kg pale
2kg pils
200g crystal40
200g biscuit
270g choc

No chill
30g hallertau 40 mins
10g hallertau 10 mins
10g hallertau 0 mins

Hopefully it's ok on the pallet. Hahaha, ill drink it anyway and learn for next time

Latest posts

Back