Dark Beers And Roast Grain Additions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TB...... one day you and me are going to meet...... and its my shout! :icon_cheers:

I have used flaked barley a lot over the years and love the stuff. Im gunna give a larger amount a run this time round. 15 to 20% i think..... just for the hell of it.

Are you talking nitrogen or Nitromethane :)

As far as i know...... the beer at the pub isnt carbed with nitrogen. Its actually very low carb with Co2 but they use nitrogen to serve it cause the nitrogen wont go into solution and increase the carbonation. The tap has a creamer in it that foams the low carb to make that super creamy head.

Im thinking of getting a creamer tap, and running a low pressure line into the keg of stout and using a very short piece of line from the keg to the tap so i can serve it at a keg pressure of about 30kpa..

worth a shot i recon :)

They would want to be smaller than 1 micron to make it past my filter. I can understand the reasoning though........ small bits of fine roast grain in the beer would add a bit of astringancy.

And thats what im going to do......... a 15 min soak once the mash is done so i dont have to add any chalk as per TB's recomendations.

Also....... i have found i have no Roast Barley but i do have 2 kilos of Weyermann Chocolate wheat........ so im gunna give this a go:

Bull Dust Stout

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 54.00 Wort Size (L): 54.00
Total Grain (kg): 10.00
Anticipated OG: 1.045 Plato: 11.14
Anticipated EBC: 60.0
Anticipated IBU: 40.1
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
70.0 7.00 kg. TF Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt UK 1.037 5
20.0 2.00 kg. TF Flaked Barley UK 1.034 0
10.0 1.00 kg. Weyermann Choc Wheat Germany 1.035 1000

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
50.00 g. Wye Target Pellet 9.00 24.3 60 min.
40.00 g. Wye Northdown Pellet 7.30 15.8 60 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1882PC

Let us know if you want some roast barley mate, I have some here.

Cheers

cheers mate.... but im gunna give the choc wheat a run.

Your selcome to drop over for a look and a Wit though.... i will let you know when im brewing.

you havnt seen the REX yet have ya :)

cheers mate.... but im gunna give the choc wheat a run.

Your selcome to drop over for a look and a Wit though.... i will let you know when im brewing.

you havnt seen the REX yet have ya :)

Cheers, might take you up on that

Well just threw in the stout on short notice as the wife got called into work.

I have gone with this:

Australian Stout

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 46.00 Wort Size (L): 46.00
Total Grain (kg): 12.10
Anticipated OG: 1.064 Plato: 15.56
Anticipated EBC: 80.4
Anticipated IBU: 44.7
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
70.2 8.50 kg. TF Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt UK 1.037 5
16.5 2.00 kg. TF Flaked Barley UK 1.034 0
8.3 1.00 kg. Weyermann Choc Wheat Germany 1.035 1100
2.5 0.30 kg. TF Pale Chocolate Malt UK 1.033 550
2.5 0.30 kg. TF Crystal UK 1.034 145

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
120.00 g. Pride of Ringwood (whole) Whole 8.00 44.7 45 min.

I have put the crystal and pale choc in the mash and will add the chocolate wheat with 10 min to go in the mash.

Gunna hop it up with some of my home grown PoR flowers..... see how thay go too.

cheers

Hey Tony,

Just FYI, i was at the James Squire brewhouse in melbourne last night and they had their seasonal stout "the craic" on tap. From memeory when i had discussions with the brewer some time ago, the bulk of the roast component in that beer is roast wheat followed by roast barley.

In short, its probably the best local example of a dry stout (at least in my opinion). Im planning on getting my hands on some of the briess Midnight Wheat soon so might give this angle a crack as the current stout i have whilst it is good, the malt profile is angled more towards a porter.

From what i observed, it seems the roast wheat gives that smooth roasted character you speak of to slightly thin the roast barley but doesnt make it overly bitter/sharp nor chocolatey like carafa does if you used it in the same way.

Cheers.

I have used the JW Roast Wheat a lot over the years...... usually as a sub for black malt as i prefer the dry ashy roast it imparts.

I had a friend who loved making his dunkleweizens give up brewing last year and just after i bought a kilo of Weyermann choc wheat..... he gives me another 2 kilos of it.

I gave some away and this stout has consumed another kilo of it...... and i must say....... DAMN it smells good going into the kettle. Kind of like very dark roast coffee.

I have a feeling this is going to be a nice stout :)

I have used the JW Roast Wheat a lot over the years...... usually as a sub for black malt as i prefer the dry ashy roast it imparts.

I had a friend who loved making his dunkleweizens give up brewing last year and just after i bought a kilo of Weyermann choc wheat..... he gives me another 2 kilos of it.

I gave some away and this stout has consumed another kilo of it...... and i must say....... DAMN it smells good going into the kettle. Kind of like very dark roast coffee.

I have a feeling this is going to be a nice stout :)

G'day Tony,
This is the great thing about making your own....you can suit yourself :)

While I too am happy to sub roasted wheat malt for Black (in English style stouts) , my preference is definitely for Roast Barley in a Stout.
Entirely different flavour.

Rgds,
Peter
Not brewing, but keeping out of the wet instead

Oh, PS, just noticed the topic, sorry. My dark malts go in with everything else.

Back