Dark And Stormy, Will This Work?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chucky

Reaction score
Guys,

I have a plan, but am unsure if this would work.

Brew a ginger beer to about 3.5 or 4% A/V, and add about 1125 mls of Bundy Black to the keg....hey presto....dark and stormy on tap.

Does anyone have any view on this re:
1. am I dreaming,
2. does ginger beer screw up your fermenter (plastic) or kegs (cornelius).

Has anyone tried this before? Thanks in advance for feedback.

I love ginger beer. Done a few now, i have to reccomend the Morgans ginger beer, comes out nice and tasty without any sweetness.

Never had a problem with the fermenters, haven't tried it in my kegs though as i tend to drink it in moderation.

I reckon you're onto a good thing.

Ginger will linger in the plastic fermenter and the next brew may take on a ginger flavour.

SS will not take up the ginger, maybe the rubber oring will.

I've done 1/2 dozen ginger beers in one of my fermenters, never noticed any lingering smell. But i soak all my fermenters for 5 days after use with water and bleach.

I keg my ginger beer when I do it.

I soak my fermenters and kegs in a potassium hydroxide solution they use at work to sanitise all the stainless steel surfaces.

Not a trace of ginger afterwards.

jgriffin said:
I love ginger beer. Done a few now, i have to reccomend the Morgans ginger beer, comes out nice and tasty without any sweetness.
I'll second that!
I've tried a lot of kit ginger beers & Morgans seems to be the best. Never had any trouble with a ginger taste in the next batch. I also sterilise with bleach,but only for around 20 hours or so. Will leave it to others to put in the Bundy Black? as that seems a bit pricey but sounds a great idea. Let me know how it goes.

Thanks for the replies.

Just to be sure that my plastic fermenter is OK, I suppose I could always get a second one..............maybe I need another keg too! (gleeful rubbing of hands is now occurring)

WRT the Bundy Black, the wife buys it duty free for me. Can't stand the smell of the UP or OP anymore. Just lucky I guess!

Back