Danstar Munich German Wheat Dry Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunderlips

Reaction score
As I often do with things, I read the instructions afterwards...

Normally with dried yeast, such as US56 or the one that comes with the Coopers kit, you can just throw the yeast
into the fermenter, close the lid and away you go.

Now after two days and no action I read this...

"Sprinkle the yeast on the surface of 10 times its weight of clean, sterilized (boiled) water at 30 - 35C.
Do not use wort, or distilled or reverse osmosis water, as loss of viability may result. DO NOT STIR.
Leave undisturbed for 15 minutes then stir to suspend the yeast completely, and leave it for 5 more
minutes at 30-35C. Adjust the temperature to that of the wort and inoculate without delay."

and

"Attemperate in steps of 10C at 5-minute intervals to the fermentation temperature by mixing aliquots
of wort. Do not allow attemperation to be carried out by natural heat loss. This will take too long and
could result in loss of viability or vitality.
Temperature shock, at greater than 10C, may cause formation of petite mutants leading to long-term
or incomplete fermentation and possible formation of undesirable flavours."

Bloody hell, that seems more complicated than using liquid yeast and making a starter.

Is there any chance that the yeast I just threw on will start?

I'm trying a Redback extract recipe and couldn't be bothered with the liquid yeast.
http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator?item=8001

It should start - if you read the directions for US05 it will say to rehydrate like this as well although many people do just sprinkle the dried yeast directly onto wort.

From my understanding, dried yeast can rehydrate in wort but better results can be gained by rehydrating in warm water before pitching.

I'm not expert, but I'd just relax- with lots of things, there's optimum performance (involves a while lab coat) and there's performance you and I can get away with (no lab coat).
What's the OG and present SG though? They're the important performance measures.

What's the OG and present SG though? They're the important performance measures.
Heh, no idea :)

I haven't really bothered with that for a few years now.

I don't bottle so I don't really need to worry about explosions but yes I should do it so I can tell when a brew is really finished
I even bought one of those fancy Refractometers once. It'll be on a shelf somewhere.

I've never had a problem with a stuck ferment though so I'm hoping this wont be the first.

Thanks for the replies...

I'm having the same problem with the same yeast 24 hrs after pitching but did follow the instructions on the pack. My SG is 1.046 and temp is about 20 deg C. I am having a crack at my first all grain wheat beer. Should I be worrying that I am not seeing any CO2 action yet. :blink:

I'm having the same problem with the same yeast 24 hrs after pitching but did follow the instructions on the pack. My SG is 1.046 and temp is about 20 deg C. I am having a crack at my first all grain wheat beer. Should I be worrying that I am not seeing any CO2 action yet. :blink:

24hrs - you may just have a leak in your fermenter or something. Should be fine. It doesn't REALLY get cracking with a big krausen - it does get one but not a 3068 style eat your neighbour's dog krausen.

Btw here is an interesting article involving the Munich yeast, pretty technical though.

View attachment Wheat_beer_article_for_NB.pdf

Cheers for the reply and the pdf - a bit of interesting bed time reading for tonight.

I pulled the lid off and had a bit of a look at the wort and didn't see much in the way of rising CO2. I have just put the fermentation tank on a heater pad to warm things up a bit over night. Hopefully I will see something happen by morning.

24hrs - you may just have a leak in your fermenter or something. Should be fine. It doesn't REALLY get cracking with a big krausen - it does get one but not a 3068 style eat your neighbour's dog krausen.

Btw here is an interesting article involving the Munich yeast, pretty technical though.

I just flicked the link open and had a quick scroll down to read the headings, nice little table that tells me Invertase is involved in mashing, thats a surprise, here is me thinking its made by yeast to break disaccharides into monosaccharides. Now I will have to go and read up on Maltase another enzyme that I have not encountered in mashing, but as it sounds like it degraded Maltose Im a bit suspicious of that one to. I hope the rest of the article is slightly better.

M

I just flicked the link open and had a quick scroll down to read the headings, nice little table that tells me Invertase is involved in mashing, thats a surprise, here is me thinking its made by yeast to break disaccharides into monosaccharides. Now I will have to go and read up on Maltase another enzyme that I have not encountered in mashing, but as it sounds like it degraded Maltose Im a bit suspicious of that one to. I hope the rest of the article is slightly better.

M

Got it from Lallemand themselves - not sure how accurate it all is...

Edit, found this http://www.braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/T...Mashing#Maltase

Maltase converts maltose into glucose. It is therefore an important enzyme for the yeast. But it is also present in malt. But since its temperature optimum is between 95F (35C) and 104F (40C) [Narziss, 2005] and it is being deactivated above 115F (45C), this enzyme does not play any significant role in most mashing schedules since higher temperature rests are necessary to genate glucose for this enzyme.

It is however used in a masching schedule developed by Markus Hermann from the Weihenstephan brewing school in Germany. This mash converts half the mash to get a large amount of glucose. After that conversion is complete, it is mixed with the remaining mash to achieve a rest temperature of 95F (35F) where the maltase converts the now existing maltose to glucose. After that the whole mash is again run through a regular mashing schedule to convert the remaining starch to matose and dextrins. The result is a wort with a very high glucose content (about 40% of the fermentable sugars). Yeast fermenting such a wort will generate more esters, a property that can be used to produce German wheat beers with a high ester content.

Invertase in the context of the article is probably just for completeness, it is not referred to in the mash schedule nor would I expect it to be, unless you were a sneaky brewer adding it to the mash for some reason (maybe with sucrose)

Thanks for finding that, I did have a quick look last night and found some similar results. It looks like a bitch of a mash programme and I suspect that if you arent brewing under the Reinheitsgebot its going to be a lot easier to just add the appropriate amount of dextrose (glucose), if in fact thats what the mini decoction is intended to produce.

Either way, being a Braumeister brewer I have the perfect tool for the step mash and will have a look at putting this one (or a variation) on the schedule. God knows I do like my wheat beer to have lots of Banana.

Mark

Thanks for finding that, I did have a quick look last night and found some similar results. It looks like a bitch of a mash programme and I suspect that if you arent brewing under the Reinheitsgebot its going to be a lot easier to just add the appropriate amount of dextrose (glucose), if in fact thats what the mini decoction is intended to produce.

Either way, being a Braumeister brewer I have the perfect tool for the step mash and will have a look at putting this one (or a variation) on the schedule. God knows I do like my wheat beer to have lots of Banana.

Mark

Good point. Dextrose additions making loads of banana in a wheat - whoudathunkit?

Back