Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

Danstar London ESB and Mash Temperature

Discussion in 'All Grain Brewing' started by cpsmusic, 4/11/18.

1. cpsmusic

Home Page:
    Posted 4/11/18
    Hi Folks,

In my quest to produce a decent ESB I thought I'd try using Danstar London ESB yeast. This yeast doesn't ferment maltotriose so Lallemand suggest using a lower mash temperature as a way to ensure better attenuation.

>London ESB does not utilize the sugar maltotriose (a molecule composed of 3 glucose
    >units). Maltotriose is present in wort in an average 10-15% of all malt worts. The result
    >will be fuller body and residual sweetness in beer. Be advised to adjust gravities and
    >mash temperatures according to desired result.

Just wondering what mash temperature would be best for this?

The recipe I'm planning to use is something like this:

80% English Pale Ale Malt
    10% Munich I
    5% Victory or Biscuit
    5% Medium Crystal

Cheers,

Chris

2. Wobbly74

Posted 6/11/18
    The last time I used this in a bitter I mashed at 63C and ended up with 68% attenuation...

3. Georgedgerton

Posted 13/11/18
    I put an ordinary bitter down with this yeast (mash temp averaged 65 c + a little) used two 11grm packs in 20 litres, and the whole thing was done and dusted in 2 days leaving a finishing gravity of .008 from .040. One of the fastest fermentations I have ever had; including keeping it within temp guidelines, which was interesting due to the rapid rise in the quick fermentation; but at at the end of the day it has shaped up to be a good, clean, session brew