Danstar London ESB and Mash Temperature

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpsmusic

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

In my quest to produce a decent ESB I thought I'd try using Danstar London ESB yeast. This yeast doesn't ferment maltotriose so Lallemand suggest using a lower mash temperature as a way to ensure better attenuation.

>London ESB does not utilize the sugar maltotriose (a molecule composed of 3 glucose
>units). Maltotriose is present in wort in an average 10-15% of all malt worts. The result
>will be fuller body and residual sweetness in beer. Be advised to adjust gravities and
>mash temperatures according to desired result.

Just wondering what mash temperature would be best for this?

The recipe I'm planning to use is something like this:

80% English Pale Ale Malt
10% Munich I
5% Victory or Biscuit
5% Medium Crystal

Cheers,

Chris

The last time I used this in a bitter I mashed at 63C and ended up with 68% attenuation...

I put an ordinary bitter down with this yeast (mash temp averaged 65 c + a little) used two 11grm packs in 20 litres, and the whole thing was done and dusted in 2 days leaving a finishing gravity of .008 from .040. One of the fastest fermentations I have ever had; including keeping it within temp guidelines, which was interesting due to the rapid rise in the quick fermentation; but at at the end of the day it has shaped up to be a good, clean, session brew

Back