Danstar BRY-97?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivonavich

Reaction score
Anybody used it? I have been using US-05 for majority of my Ales - How does this one compare?

Used it in two beers now. Drops to create a very clear beer. Nothing noticeable ester wise and does strip a bit of bitterness but in a good way. Will probably be a good house yeast.

Some say it takes a while to get going too - but when it does, stand back.
I've just made a wet hop harvest ale with 800g fresh hops and this yeast. Mine started to form a krausen within 24hrs at 18 degrees and went like the clappers for the next 72.
Its only just in the keg but observations so far are that its a good attenuator (1052-1010) and floccer. I can't pick any yeast character with all the hops but it has let them shine through perfectly - just what I was after. Maybe its dropped the bitterness but I can't be sure as the homegrown hops were an unknown factor.
Overall I'm impressed and am considering this as the new standby house yeast (over S05) as it floccs so well - I'm always disappointed with the effort it takes to get a bright beer with S05.
I've harvested the cake and and about to throw GenII into an american hopped porter to see what its like with the darker malts.

+1 for the slight stall, but it certainly clears out after it goes mental

Used it on a coopers vintage toucan and has done a fantastic job

I bottled an attempt at an American Brown last night with BRY-97.

I had 7g Galaxy @ 15 min, and 15g Cascade @ 0 min. (for ~19L), which was almost undetectable at bottling. There was a definite fruity flavour/aroma half way through the fermentation, and this kind of hopping normally works for me with US-05.

It also turned out darker than I was expecting (unrelated to yeast), so I'm relabelling it a porter. :unsure:

I recently hit a cube of my Cream Ale with this instead of my usual US05 or 1056. I sampled several over the weekend and it is bloody nice. Definitely adds a bit more flavour than the US05. Dropped as clear as a bell. i may well make it my new standard.

Tried this yeast recently, impressed!!! Prefer the profile to that of 05.

Screwy

I find it similar to WY1272.
I've kegged 3 brews with it so far and have just pitched 2 more last night.

I will keep on using it in preference to US05

I pitched at the recommended rate 1g/L which is more than I would normally use with 05. Anyone else????

Screwy

I followed the mr. malty pitching rate. It had a very slow start, around 36-48hrs before I saw any activity. Which was worrying, but spot on with a lot of the reports I've read on various forums.

It then went from 1.048 to 1.010 in about 5-7 days, tasted brilliant out of the FV, haven't tried it carbonated yet.

felten said:
I followed the mr. malty pitching rate. It had a very slow start, around 36-48hrs before I saw any activity. Which was worrying, but spot on with a lot of the reports I've read on various forums.

It then went from 1.048 to 1.010 in about 5-7 days, tasted brilliant out of the FV, haven't tried it carbonated yet.
It's definitely a slow starter........but gets the job done once its up and away.

Anyone tried this yeast at the lower end of temps? I had a beer that was finishing up around the same time we had a bit of a cold spell and it's full of what I think is Acetaldehyde. Anyone want a keg of green apple fat yak? :(

Rowy said:
It's definitely a slow starter........but gets the job done once its up and away.
I have experienced this similar conditions with yeast. Once it got going it blew the top of my coopers flash fang-dangle fermenter. It is certainly a more aggressive fermenter than Nottingham( which is become the normal yeast I use). It has about 1 or 2 days to go before I smash this brew into a keg. Fermenting at 18 degrees

i have just done a couple of brews with it and as others have said it was slow to start but once up and running it was finished in 2 days at 17. flavour wise im very impressed with the beer being clean but having good hop presence and the way it flocs out and the beers clear is awesome. and due to the simplicity of pitching without stuffing around with starters i think it will be replacing 1272 as my go to yeast for american style beers.

Just an observation on this strain.

I did a 3L starter with 2 packets, which I was going to use to innoculate 3 x 20L worts with, but I couldn't brew. After 20 hours I took the starter off the stirplate and put it in my food fridge. I was slightly worried it would contract and suck in goodies from the fridge. It is now a week and a bit past this point, and it is still fermenting away, I even knocked the krausen down with the stirbar and tried to get it suspended in liquid but it was back in a day. It has also retained much of the yeast in suspension.

So I would suggest that while perhaps slow, this yeast is pretty cold tolerant. Other yeast would have shrivelled and flocced by now.

I have an IPA in the primary on day 10 with BRY-97, my first use of it. It was slow to start, but reached FG within 6 days.

Interesting you do a starter for it Bizier, unusual for a dry yeast. Do you re-hydrate first, then pitch that into the starter?

carniebrew said:
Interesting you do a starter for it Bizier, unusual for a dry yeast. Do you re-hydrate first, then pitch that into the starter?
Rehydrate as per instructions (I like Danstar's small pack instructions - except for the picture of an open beaker) in 1L flask, pitch to 3L starter.

BUT my plan was to have it on stir plate for about 24-30 hours (took off on stir plate immediately) to just get the yeast firmly into the log phase before pitching to wort.

Back