Danstar Abbaye

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaded and Bitter

Reaction score
Did a search, got nothing.

Any one tried this yeast?

How did it go?

Not expecting anything, just want to know if its worthwhile keeping a pack around. :drinks:

Yeah, I'd like more info. I grabbed a pack because it was cheap as insurance but would genuinely like to know what it can do.

From someone who pushed T58 over its limits and loved it.

Hey

Jaded and Bitter

I tried the yeast recently in a Belgium Tripel for the local Westgate Brewers comp trying to immulate a Karmeleit Tripel

It did a great job of chewing through a porridge like brew that was 1/3 1/3 1/3 Barley, Wheat & Oats.

Make sure its fresh and Usage pitching instructions are followed - don't make a starter for a dry yeast as not appropriate - just buy enough packs to pitch at rate of 1g/L so two packets for a normal brew length
• Use 50-100 g of active dry yeast to inoculate 100 litres of wort. Brewer
may experiment with pitching rate to achieve a desired beer style or to suit processing conditions.

Good info up on the Danstar website on the yeast as well: http://www.danstaryeast.com/company/products/abbaye-belgian-ale-yeast

cheers,
Dermott

I got my packet in the mail today, along with a heap of other nice yeasties.

I guessing this yeast is more along the lines la chouf, leffe blonde etc?

Thinking ahead to a nice belgian blonde for autumn.

Anyone else use this yeast?

I've got a pack of this for a Belgian Pale (the brewing classic styles recipe - no chill adjusted). I'm going to cube it this weekend and ferment on the cool side (18C). I'll report back

shacked said:
I've got a pack of this for a Belgian Pale (the brewing classic styles recipe - no chill adjusted). I'm going to cube it this weekend and ferment on the cool side (18C). I'll report back
Cool thanks shacked

I used Abbaye before for a simple Leffe Blond clone and was happy with the results. Was a while ago,
so don't have much more details than that soz.

zeggie said:
I used Abbaye before for a simple Leffe Blond clone and was happy with the results. Was a while ago,
so don't have much more details than that soz.
So it really is an Abby yeast, not a knock your socks off Trappist yeast?

Jaded and Bitter said:
Cool thanks shacked
Wow... that was a delay. Used this in a pale, fermented on the cool side and it was stuble and slightly peppery. I think if you pushed the temp up a little you'd be able to get a bit more character out of it. It reminds me of a toned down version of WLP530. Attenuation was pretty good and I'd call the flocculation medium.

Used it in a Belgian Porter (nothing majorly interesting) which was also fermented with Nottingham for the other half of the batch.

It was rubbish for about 2 months. The Notto version (which was a majorly overpitched yeast cake) was easy enough to drink and the missus used it in Porter Pie a great deal (thus reducing the ageing time of the damn thing, because I had to drink it before she used it).

Then about 2 months, it really started to come good. It always had a bit of yeast character but tasted unsettled, but in 2 months the character really melded well with the malt and the beer shone.

And then it ran out.

Used it in a Coopers Rad Abbot recipe (Belgium Dark Ale) and it worked and tasted good.

Latest posts

Back