Dangerous Masters Chimnea - be aware

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadSeed

Reaction score
Back in March we bought a La Hacienda Pizza Clay Chiminea from Masters.
It was seasoned correctly and then used around eight - ten times.
The last time we used it the entire bottom of the Chimnea cracked and dropped out spilling hot burning wood and embers over the patio.
Fortunately our children were no longer sitting in front of it toasting marshmallows at this time.
I have cross posted this on a few forums and this seems like a good spot.

I returned to the store and spoke to the manager, I didn't have the receipt anymore and wasn't really concerned about money back, just the safety aspect.
He mentioned a few people had bought them back cracked and his exact words were "This has happened too many times"
He then said he would contact the buyer and manufacturer and call me back within two days. No call.
After a week I called back and was again told that he would call me back. Again, no call.
I sent an email to Masters earlier in the week and the reply said someone would contact me within 48 hours, guess what. No contact.

This is a dangerous product and not fit for purpose.
Masters management know about this and the risk involved in using it and don't seem to be concerned about the safety of their customers. Here are a couple of pictures of the aftermath.

17630332464_35d559eb93_b.jpg

18065216480_83b68175c9_z.jpg

Good reporting, mate.... onya.

Glad no one was hurt.

Keep at 'em, not good enough. Burns aren't fun, glad everyone was OK. Not sure how it rolls in WA but in VIC a dangerous, faulty, potentiality fire causing product could also be reported to the Metropolitan Fire Brigade who can make some noise for you.

I do not participate in social media ie: twitter and Facebook ,put it out there ( if you are a member).
Use it as a tool to warn others and get attention to a possible nasty consequence and remedy.

send a link of this post to Masters and I guarantee they will get straight back to you...

Masters contacted me about an hour after this post <_< I also cross posted on a camping forum.

Apparently they take these things very seriously and are contacting the store, the manufacturers, the management hierarchy, everyman and his dog.
I must have just imagined being fobbed off with bullshit for the last two weeks.

The reviews on the Masters website tell a similar tale - https://www.masters.com.au/product/100316125/la-hacienda-pizza-clay-chiminea-spring-green

Isn't it marvellous how much they dislike bad publicity

I suspect they prefer the tag line 'Australia's fastest growing hardware store' to 'Australia's most ignorant hardware store with regards to customer safety'.
I do like their range of chilli plants though, which could also give you a nasty burn, ironically.

Masters - same chain that had the issue with the shit house electrical wiring they bought from china being a fire hazzard.

just looking at that thing it doesn't seem to have adequate support at the base. Pretty poor design.

Lets imagine a potentially much worse, slightly different but entirely plausible scenario. Timber deck, family gone to bed, chimnea fails and drops its fiery guts.
As noted above in regard to the faulty electrical wiring, these ******* Mc Hardware stores should take an interest in performing a little due diligence on their suppliers and quality control before their $2 shop merchandise does some real damage.

But still, we'll all keep buying from the main "two" hardware stores purely based on price...

DJ_L3ThAL said:
But still, we'll all keep buying from the main "two" hardware stores purely based on price...
Here in Port Lincoln one of the locally owned h/ware shops ( home hardware) closed its doors on Sunday as Bunnings has taken a lot of the local business,I now go to Mitre 10 purely to support local business .
I have yet to buy anything from Bunnings here, but it pisses me off that many of the locals want to shop there ,not in locally owned businesses and then whinge when locals are loosing their jobs.

DJ_L3ThAL said:
And thats the problem - not the pricing, the assumption. I bought my last cordless drill set from a local guy who had them on special. Cheaper than bunnings 'every day low prices'.
A lot of their gear is cheap because its flimsy disposable shit (citronella bamboo torch anyone?) Look at the glazed expression of many of the shoppers. Came in simply to buy a paint brush, got seduced by the gratuitous chirping of the trained parrot like staff and the giant fascist hammers adorning all their logos, left wheeling out a poorly constructed garden shredder. When you inevitably return next week with the warranty card in your hand, the cycle will repeat.

I do like the fact they have a play land for the kiddies where I can sit and enjoy a piece of stale cake and indifferently prepared coffee whilst hoping one of the kids injures themselves on the equipment.
Nothing to serious mind you, just enough to provoke a generous out of court settlement.

You're just as likely to injure yourself with that leaden cake... but the outcome is the same.

And remember folks, ''Low prices are just the beginning !''

I support my local Mitre 10, I don't have to walk 500 miles to get something, I get fast personal friendly service and the pricing is competitive. Last year I bought a basic 4 burner bbq, the owner assembled the unit that day, delivered it after hours (both free) and came in and had a homebrew. Now you cant beat that for customer service. Bunnings, lucky to find someone that's not on a till.

Cheers

That manager is probably in a world of trouble. If your chain stores are anything like our he wouldn't be allowed to say shit with a mouth full of it. Any sort of negative talk against the company, admitting products are crap, you name it is seen as corporate treason.

Every time I go to Bummings (for there are no independent hardware shops near my home) I feel like punching someone. I once asked the idiot in the tool section for a 6mm standard thread tap and he told me to try the plumbing section.

Dave70 said:
A lot of their gear is cheap because its flimsy disposable shit (citronella bamboo torch anyone?)
Thats it .....I am Done.

Going back to my daily driver, which just happens to be a 1961 Morris Minor Ute....made at Zetland in 1961 no less

Good old Aussie steel stamped by British dies, .....but mostly British steel stamped in Britain.......

But the plate says BMC Ltd ( Australia ) so it is a legit Aussie Ute....mostly made in Britain....

Latest posts

Back