Damn, Over-carbonated It!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stebas

Reaction score
i made a Brecraft Mexican Cerveca a while back and i've started to crack them, much to my disappointment they are all highly overcarbonated. I'm talking about open the bottle and head starts pouring over the top, not good..... Some have even started to explode.

I was thinking, is there a way of perhaps opening the cap, letting some of the CO2 escape then re-cap them?

Stebas said:
i made a Brecraft Mexican Cerveca a while back and i've started to crack them, much to my disappointment they are all highly overcarbonated. I'm talking about open the bottle and head starts pouring over the top, not good..... Some have even started to explode.

I was thinking, is there a way of perhaps opening the cap, letting some of the CO2 escape then re-cap them?
[post="77887"][/post]​

Stebas,

A lot depends on whether you simply over primed for the gravity you bottled at? Or whether an infection has got hold of your brew...

Stebas said:

[post="77887"][/post]​

I am sorry to say that I do not like your chances when you have a gusher like that and some are exploding. It could be an infection. On the other hand if your notes that you made at the time of carbonation indicate that you used too much sugar/dextrose or whatever, you could ease the cap off very slowly and if you lucky, you might be able to taste the remains. If it tastes sour, off, I would ditch the lot before more explodes. Recap otherwise.

Good luck.

:chug:
PeterS....

Did something similar with my partial wheat:-

3.00 kg IMC Pilsener Malt
1.50 kg Coopers Wheat Malt Extract
0.50 kg JW Wheat Malt
50 g Saaz hop pellets (60 minutes)
Safale/Wheat K97 yeast

4 days in primary & 8 in secondary & 11 weeks in the bottle, with a lot of head & a lot of nuisance. I added the normal level teaspoon of sugar per bottle. Too much? I don't bulk prime. Any pointers to where I've gone wrong. :huh:

:beer:

Good luck Stebas but this is a good addvert for using Grolsch type swing tops. At least you can let some of the gas out and still reseal them. I had a problem with a Muntons ale and had to release the pressure about six times, and then it was decant by jug only. I bulk primed from then on.

Hogan.

Latest posts

Back