Damage to bottle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

microbe

Lapsed Brewer Lurking
Reaction score
Hey all,

I was recently gifted a few dozen long necks by my son in law, in going through them today I've noticed damage to a few of them. Pits or chips on the rim where the crown seal is placed. Please see attached pictures.

Are they dangerous to use, would you use or discard?

Cheers,

Mike

Attachments

• 20221015_230053.jpg
    20221015_230053.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221015_230045.jpg
    20221015_230045.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
In themselves those chips are not a hazard, but hairline cracks in the necks might be. Hold them up to a strong light to check. It is not likely.

You might lose carbonation around the cap. In the two posted examples, the chip extends across the neck wall. If the cap doe not press fully into the gap, you'll end up with flat beer. I've tossed ones like that.

Hey Mike,

My rule was always to toss bottles that were even slightly dubious. Not worth the risk of an explosion in my book or losing a percentage of your brew through poor carbonation.

Bottles are, by and large, easy to come by and not a great expense in the grand scheme of brewing. If in doubt, chuck them out.

JD

In themselves those chips are not a hazard, but hairline cracks in the necks might be. Hold them up to a strong light to check. It is not likely.

You might lose carbonation around the cap. In the two posted examples, the chip extends across the neck wall. If the cap doe not press fully into the gap, you'll end up with flat beer. I've tossed ones like that.
Thanks, I think they'll get recycled

Hey Mike,

My rule was always to toss bottles that were even slightly dubious. Not worth the risk of an explosion in my book or losing a percentage of your brew through poor carbonation.

Bottles are, by and large, easy to come by and not a great expense in the grand scheme of brewing. If in doubt, chuck them out.

JD
Good rule, and the way I was leaning. Thanks for the confirmation

Back