Czech Saaz In Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nonicman

Slack Brewery
Reaction score
Any thoughts on using Czech Saaz in an ale? I have a lot of this hop at the moment and have been using them for wheat beers. Was wondering if I could use them in a pale ale, along the lines of a hoppy APA. Don't care if it's not to style, more interested in making a beer that can have a lot of hop additions (to test the changes I've made to Andrew's brewtimer) and Czech Saaz is what I have on hand (and a little fuggles and northern brewer). Will be using Bedford Ale yeast (WLP006).
I don't have the facilities (yet) for lagering, hence ale.

Brewing today so any comments appreciated.

jleske

just brewed a pseudo lager using saaz hops. Grain bill - 85% pils, 10% flaked maize, and 5% munich. Used US-56 dried Ale yeast. has been in the secondary for a week and out of the fermenter tastes like it will be an easy drinking summer ale(won't offend the megaswill visitors).

cheers
Roach

Thanks Roach, was going to add some Chocolate malt, but the summer ale idea is good, this is what I've have a go at:

Saaz Ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 25.00 Wort Size (L): 25.00
Total Grain (kg): 6.05
Anticipated OG: 1.054 Plato: 13.23
Anticipated EBC: 14.4
Anticipated IBU: 42.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
90.9 5.50 kg. JWM Traditional Ale Malt Australia 1.038 7
3.3 0.20 kg. TF Torrefied Wheat UK 1.035 3
3.3 0.20 kg. JWM Wheat Malt Australia 1.040 4
2.5 0.15 kg. JWM Crystal 140 Australia 1.035 145

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
20.00 g. Northern Brewer Pellet 7.70 19.9 60 min.
30.00 g. Czech Saaz Pellet 3.00 11.6 60 min.
15.00 g. Czech Saaz Pellet 3.00 5.2 45 min.
15.00 g. Czech Saaz Pellet 3.00 3.0 30 min.
15.00 g. Czech Saaz Pellet 3.00 1.6 15 min.
10.00 g. Czech Saaz Pellet 3.00 0.8 10 min.
5.00 g. Czech Saaz Pellet 3.00 0.3 5 min.
30.00 g. Fuggle Pellet 3.80 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP006 Bedford British Ale

Have only used the Saaz as an early addition for wheats, and from some of the post recently, I'm a little wary of saaz for dry hopping.

Edit:, should read 15 grams of Saaz for the 5 min addition, not 5gram as I have above

Edit: whoops should check inventory before making a recipe, 1kg short on the Pale malt (4.5kgs into grist) so the wheat malt (from 200grams to 1kilo) has been increased to make up for the Pale malt shortfall.

sounds ok to me,

and as side note thingy, the malt shovel pale ale uses saaz (it was listed on the tin i bought about 6 months ago)

Thanks Bonk, starting the mash now. Will post the results (in a few weeks time).

looks good jleske. i also used northern brewer for bittering. end up doing a sort of dry hop as it was about 5 minutes after flame out. Too many ales during the brewing session - must get a laptop and use Andrew's BrewTimer in future.

Was a little worried that the hops will over power the malt, so I did a single 30 minute decoction (60,70 step mash, 75 mashout/single batch sparge).

English breweries used to use "Bavarian" hops at different times and for a variety of reasons.

They were always said to be "inferior" but you can take that with a soupcon of salt :)

Jovial Monk

You can use any hops you like in any style of beer.

Traditionally, the hops to a particular style has evolved due to what is available where that style came from, for example English beers are traditionally made with fuggles or goldings.

You can use whatever you want that you think will be a nice combination of malts and hops. Just don't try and enter it in a competition where it may be marked out of style.

Getting ready to bottle this, so had a taste. I added 30 grams of saaz pellets to the secondary fermenter a few weeks ago. Was expecting a grassy smell or favour. It could be due to having a blocked nose, but I can't detect any grassiness. It has a bitter finish, but doesn't seem unbalanced, I like it.

Latest posts

Back