Czech Pilzer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brendon rose

Reaction score
Im about to bottle my 2nd ever batch of this kit beer and the instructions say to add 2 carb drops or a teaspoon of sugar to each bottle. My first batch i used the carb drops so im thinking i might opt for the sugar this time. Does this change the flavour using sugar?? what do you all reccomend, What type of sugar? white normal csr stuff ??

1 carb drop equals 1 teaspoon of sugar so you will need 2 of either per 750ml of beer. You wont taste the difference between the two. CSR sugar and a good measure like this
messure.jpg
will be allot cheaper. Also search "Bulk Priming" much better and more accurate.

Drew

Carb drops are easier and quicker but a bit more expensive - I used to prefer the convenience rather than measuring out each dose but each to their own. Now I bulk prime with dextrose (corn sugar). Either dextrose or table sugar are highly fermentable and fairly neutral in flavour, particularly given the small amount used for priming. If you were weighing up between a kilo of sugar or a kilo of dextrose for a k&k recipe I would recommend the dex...or 1.5kg of dried malt extract instead.

Dudes it's in before, not inb4, in before, well, this could go on for a long time now couldn't it...

There is an extreme possibility that this may continue for an extended period of time, one presumes..

If you are using normal brown PET home brew bottles then you can't go past one of these in each bottle:

csr_cubes.jpeg

I do all my PETs that way and even all my competition entries if they are a bottle conditioned job. God designed them to fit exactly through the top of any PET bottle.
Pilsner, Pilsener or Pils comes from the Czech town Plzen so the OP was almost there. The city was part of the Austro-Hungarian empire for a long time and it was known by its German name Pilsen before reverting to its indigenous name following the collapse of the Empire during the First World War. In fact they were the mob who sparked the War with the assassination of their Archduke Franz Ferdinand, often mistakenly confused with the Emperor Franz Josef - I expect Franz was their equivalent of Britney or Corey in those days - by a Balkan freedom fighter / terrorist. That's why my Grandad got shot up at the Somme "Show me your scars again Grandad" . Bastards.
Pilsner is the 'contracted' German form of 'from or pertaining to Pilsen' - Zwickel could maybe put us right here.
When the famous golden beer spread around the world it was called by variations on the Pils theme, being contracted even further in Germany where one just asks for "Ein Pils".

If you are using normal brown PET home brew bottles then you can't go past one of these in each bottle:

View attachment 41188

I do all my PETs that way and even all my competition entries if they are a bottle conditioned job. God designed them to fit exactly through the top of any PET bottle.
Pilsner, Pilsener or Pils comes from the Czech town Plzen so the OP was almost there. The city was part of the Austro-Hungarian empire for a long time and it was known by its German name Pilsen before reverting to its indigenous name following the collapse of the Empire during the First World War. In fact they were the mob who sparked the War with the assassination of their Archduke Franz Ferdinand, often mistakenly confused with the Emperor Franz Josef - I expect Franz was their equivalent of Britney or Corey in those days - by a Balkan freedom fighter / terrorist. That's why my Grandad got shot up at the Somme "Show me your scars again Grandad" . Bastards.
Pilsner is the 'contracted' German form of 'from or pertaining to Pilsen' - Zwickel could maybe put us right here.
When the famous golden beer spread around the world it was called by variations on the Pils theme, being contracted even further in Germany where one just asks for "Ein Pils".

Archduke? :lol: :lol: Franz Ferdinand is a band ... DUH!

Archduke? :lol: :lol: Franz Ferdinand is a band ... DUH!

I would probably google something before giving some else shit for a mistake. Franz Ferdinand named there band after the old Arch Duke I'm pretty sure.

I would probably google something before giving some else shit for a mistake. Franz Ferdinand named there band after the old Arch Duke I'm pretty sure.

Yeah right, and Macedonian Princess Abba, third husband of Metallica the Great and concubine to Led Zepellin IV were real people too. :rolleyes:

EDIT: we really need a facetious font. I am aware of some influential historical figures - and also that I'm shit at humour.

On topic,
I was using the carb drops for ease of use myself but have now switched to white sugar as well. It has been working fine.

:icon_offtopic:
I've been following the thread for the humor alone!

View attachment 41188

Somewhat :icon_offtopic:
You've done it again Bribie you should have been a teacher.
I love these little snippets. Good stuff. Informative, entertaining and not condescending. :beer:
Daz

View attachment 41188

Sorry Bribie, but I think you've got it all horribly wrong. As the great historian Private Baldrick explains it, the Great War was started "when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry." When his superior officer, Captain Blackadder, offered, "I think you mean it started when the Archduke of Austro-Hungary got shot," he assured him that, "Nah, there was definitely an ostrich involved..."

It's an easy mistake to make, so you can be forgiven.

:p

Yes I generally believe what is told to me by those in authority. Hang on, does that mean that VB possibly isn't the best cold beer? :eek: :eek:

Hey!
Did you know that 5.10.1842 was brewed very first Pilsner, so today is Pilsner Urquell's birthday. Celebrate!

(Urquell > Original)

Hey!
Did you know that 5.10.1842 was brewed very first Pilsner, so today is Pilsner Urquell's birthday. Celebrate!

(Urquell > Original)

Guess it's time for birthday drinks then! :beer:

Sorry Bribie, but I think you've got it all horribly wrong. As the great historian Private Baldrick explains it, the Great War was started "when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry." When his superior officer, Captain Blackadder, offered, "I think you mean it started when the Archduke of Austro-Hungary got shot," he assured him that, "Nah, there was definitely an ostrich involved..."

It's an easy mistake to make, so you can be forgiven.

:p
That was the first quote that came to my mind too...
What a great series!

Back