Czech Pilsener Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haydos_23

Reaction score
Hi,Have been reading this forum for a few months,and have learned so much on the art of brewing.Have made a few shocking brews so worried a have stuffed up another one!

My last Brew turned out good, Was a Morgan's Cerveza and 1kg brew enhancer that i fermented at 13 deg and left for 3 weeks in my fridge.Still quite sweet but very drinkable.

I really enjoy a nice pilsener so bought a can of Morgan's Golden Saaz Pilsener and Czech Pilsener enhancer instead of dex from my LHBS.The owner said it was perfect for the Golden Saaz and had some Hallertau hops mixed in with it.I think it was made by Brew cellar.Also got the Saflager s-23 yeast.On sunday mixed the can in with warm water,gave it a good stir then mixed the enhancer in.I noticed straight away it turned a milky white colour.Is this normal?I know that he Pilsener is a light colour,but it looked really milky.I then pitched the yeast at 18 deg and then into the fermenting fridge on 12 deg.Looked today and is still very milky colour.
Any advice here would be much appreciated thanks.

Hi,Have been reading this forum for a few months,and have learned so much on the art of brewing.Have made a few shocking brews so worried a have stuffed up another one!

My last Brew turned out good, Was a Morgan's Cerveza and 1kg brew enhancer that i fermented at 13 deg and left for 3 weeks in my fridge.Still quite sweet but very drinkable.

I really enjoy a nice pilsener so bought a can of Morgan's Golden Saaz Pilsener and Czech Pilsener enhancer instead of dex from my LHBS.The owner said it was perfect for the Golden Saaz and had some Hallertau hops mixed in with it.I think it was made by Brew cellar.Also got the Saflager s-23 yeast.On sunday mixed the can in with warm water,gave it a good stir then mixed the enhancer in.I noticed straight away it turned a milky white colour.Is this normal?I know that he Pilsener is a light colour,but it looked really milky.I then pitched the yeast at 18 deg and then into the fermenting fridge on 12 deg.Looked today and is still very milky colour.
Any advice here would be much appreciated thanks.

I'd be concerned if a 1.7 kg malt tin was white /milky when mixed. It may be a bit cloudy when first mixed due to undisolved malts, maltodextrins and dextrose etc, but it should clear pretty quickly.

Can you post a pic?

Martin

I'd be concerned if a 1.7 kg malt tin was white /milky when mixed. It may be a bit cloudy when first mixed due to undisolved malts, maltodextrins and dextrose etc, but it should clear pretty quickly.

Can you post a pic?

Martin

Thanks for your reply Martin.I will try to get a pic up tomorrow.The can of extract was the right colour when i was stirring that,then it was a 1kg bag of Czech Pilsener enhancer that made it go more white colour.
Should i take a pic of the fermernter with lid off or just a sample in plastic jug?

Cheers.

Haydn.

OK....that makes more sense Haydn.

No, i'd just leave it alone.

The dextrose/maltodextri and dry malt blend in the enhancer would have been responsible, it'll mix and clear throughout the next few days. Don't stress about it.

It'll be fine. It will settle and do what it's suposed to do.

I thought the whole thing was milky, which would be odd.

When the brew is getting near finished, raise your temperature to around 18-20 degrees for 2 days for a diacetyl rest. It'll clean it up and you'll see some more airlock activity during that phase.

Enjoy.

Martin.

Okay great,i didn't think i had done anything wrong in the mixing stage.That is a big relief!
Cannot wait to try this,going to give it about 6 weeks though i think.
I raised the temp up to 18 on the ceverza for the last few days and that seemed to off cleaned it up a bit as well.
Just looked at it and getting some good bubbling from the airlock so the Saflager seems to be working fine.Was a bit worried i under pitched it with 1 satchet?
Thanks again for your help.

Was a bit worried i under pitched it with 1 satchet?
Thanks again for your help.

Not ideal, and a starter would have made it a bit better, but it's done.

Don't stress it.

You're on track with temp control and better yeasts and a bit of planning going into your brew.

Onwards and upwards from there. It's worth the extra care and attention to detail.

Enjoy.
Martin

Czech Pilsener

Fascinates me so much I have to brew it regularly as well. Let me know next time you brew and I'll send you some excellent Saaz hops to help it along.

batz

Fascinates me so much I have to brew it regularly as well. Let me know next time you brew and I'll send you some excellent Saaz hops to help it along.

batz

me also Batz.A czech bloke that i am working with gave me a beer to try from Slovakia,called Zlaty Bazant or Golden Pheasant.it was one of the nicest lagers i have ever tried.So that made me want to brew something like this.

That would be awesome thanks trying your Saaz hops.I have used some different ones in my first few brews and went a bit crazy with them and beers turned out to be too bitter.Haven't used Saaz yet though so am very keen to try it.

Ooh, glad I found this thread.

I just put an ESB Czech Pils 3kg kit into the fermenter today, and it's really, really dark.

Sexual Chocolate dark.

Will it lighten up, or has something gone horrifyingly wrong? 0_o

Also, after reading the directions on the yeast (S23), I was concerned that I was underpitching too, but my LHBS said that the yeast should multiply enough if I pitch at 20deg and keep it at around 18 deg for "a bit". I was relieved, and forgot to ask how long "a bit" should be.

What do you reckon? I'm thinking leave it for a day, let the yeasties start to chew a bit, then drop it down to 12-13 deg for the rest of the ferment?

Hi fnaah,

I put down an ESB Czech Pilsner on Friday night.
I pitched 2 packets of S23 which i rehydrated. I pitched this at 20 deg
Stuck it in the brew fridge @ 18 deg.
Sat Arvo it was bubbling away nicely and I dropped the temp to 12deg.
All good so far

Matt

You probably don't need to worry about the yeast being able to do the job. I'd worry more about stressing the yeast which will through off inappropriate flavours. Once all your beers have finished I'd suggest saving your yeast cake and make another lager. Your next lager will have enough yeast to start you're fermentation at 10c which will give you a much cleaner lager.

Back