Quantcast

Czech Pils taste like vegemite

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

micblair

Reaction score
Recently made a 46L batch of what I hopped to be Czech pils, but for whatever reason it's not on the money, and I think tastes maybe a bit vegemitey. Perhaps I just don't like the flavour of Czech Saaz?

Anyway here's the recipe:

OG: 1.050, SG: 1.012
IBU's 37
EBC: 11

8.0 Kg Best Pils
0.5 Kg Caramunich T1
0.5 Kg Carapils.

Czech saaz @ 60 min
@ 30 min
@ 10 min
@ 0 min

Wyeast Budvar, 10 days 10C.

Riggers from G & G recommended adding carapils, but I think it has screwed this recipe up as the gravity finished fairly high, and its not sessionable at all. Should have been a bit more thoughtful than using 10% of the grain bill in caramalts.

manticle

Standing up for the Aussie Bottler
Reaction score
Czech saaz won't be the culprit.

Sounds like a yeast related issue.

micblair

Reaction score
manticle said:
Czech saaz won't be the culprit.

Sounds like a yeast related issue.
Yeah I cant find any related descriptors for vegemite related to beer spoilage microorganisms or other, but I suspect you're correct. Maybe one pack in a 5L starter, pitched at high krausen was the culprit. That said, I've never had off flavours from doing this in the past...

manticle

Standing up for the Aussie Bottler
Reaction score
Autolysised yeast can give flavours that might be described as meaty, fatty or vegemitey.

How long on the yeast cake before bottling/kegging and did it ever get a bit too warm when conditioning?

mxd

Reaction score
maybe autolysis, how long on the yeast, what yeast, what temp etc..

where are you, if your near G+G one of the guys there may assist, if you in a club take it along.

my boh pils are 90 % wey pils and 10 % wey carapils

micblair

Reaction score
It sat on the yeast for only a few days, and the weirdness was definitely post pitching. Good idea taking some to my next club meeting.

mxd

Reaction score
just re-read OP, from the starter did you pour all in in or just the yeast, was the 5ltr starter on a stir plate at room temp ?

micblair

Reaction score
Yeah stir plate, full pitch at high Krausen (20C into 16C wort, then drop to 10C o/night), with wort oxygenation for 2 mins.

_HOME_BREW_WALLACE_

Professional Drunken Yahoo!
Reaction score
is it possible that the yeast had been shocked when pitching??

mxd

Reaction score
you added some oxingenated beer to your fermenter, not too sure if that could cause an issue.

Nick JD

Blah Blah Blah
Reaction score
Put some bread in the toaster and have it for breakfast.

CosmicBertie

Reaction score
Vegemitey, marmite (yup im a Pom), or beefy tastes are down to the yeast. Most of the time when I make a starter I taste it before I add it to the fermenter. And keep some dried yeast on hand as an emergency :)

Byran

Reaction score
I done a pilsner with Southern German lager and it turned out the same, it was under temp control and fermented well but the beer developed a harsh Vegemite characteristic that didn't dissipate D rest or a cold condition. Tipped the beer out. Put me off that strain but I hear its pretty good if it works out.......

KaiTroester

Reaction score
What I'm hearing is that you are getting the vegemite taste during primary fermentation?

Was old yeast pitched or was the starter made from old slurry?

Kai

Latest posts