Cyser (first Brew).

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's nice and clear in the middle, and my thinking is that if I take the 14lts from the middle only, bulk prime and bottle it should be the 'cleanest' stuff?

I'll then take the rest (6lts or so) and rack to a 5lt demijohn and 1lt bottle (for top ups) and continue to age. I'm thinking of freeze distilling the left over 5lts and see what I get (besides a hangover).

Suggestions, Comments? Don't want to f up my first batch!

Cheers,

Ken.

Why not let it clear completely.. that way you will have 20l of nice clear stuff.

Patience grasshopper...

Cheers
Dave

Why not let it clear completely.. that way you will have 20l of nice clear stuff.

Patience grasshopper...

Cheers
Dave

:D Sorry, I meant the yeast cake on the bottom and a little bit of froth/crud on top. Seems primary fermentation wasn't quite finished when I racked it. Even though it hadn't bubbled for 3-4 days. I understand it's bad to leave it on the yeast cake for too long because it could pick up off flavours? Should I rack one more time and let it age and clear a while longer before bottling do you think? It's been in the 24 days since I racked it from the primary fermenter to the carboy.

IMG_1120___Copy__Large_.JPG

Cheers!

:D Sorry, I meant the yeast cake on the bottom and a little bit of froth/crud on top. Seems primary fermentation wasn't quite finished when I racked it. Even though it hadn't bubbled for 3-4 days. I understand it's bad to leave it on the yeast cake for too long because it could pick up off flavours? Should I rack one more time and let it age and clear a while longer before bottling do you think? It's been in the 24 days since I racked it from the primary fermenter to the carboy.

Cheers!

Ahh... should be right to bottle. Hard to see how clear it is from the photo but you should be pretty much crystal clear before you bottle. Wouldn't worry too much about the yeast cake unless its going to be there for 6 months or more. Weeks to a few months should be fine.

Let it clear completely then bottle. You'll get at least 18 odd litres if you rack carefully and don't disturb the sediment. Most of that stuff on the sides will be a really thin coating on the glass. Its not a huge thick yeast cake.

Cheers
Dave

Ahh... should be right to bottle. Hard to see how clear it is from the photo but you should be pretty much crystal clear before you bottle. Wouldn't worry too much about the yeast cake unless its going to be there for 6 months or more. Weeks to a few months should be fine.

Let it clear completely then bottle. You'll get at least 18 odd litres if you rack carefully and don't disturb the sediment. Most of that stuff on the sides will be a really thin coating on the glass. Its not a huge thick yeast cake.

Cheers
Dave

Cool as, no worries. Will let it clear further, then carefully rack the middle bit to a bottling bucket and prime. With the rest, I'll freeze distil. I don't think I'll have to worry too much about getting a bit of crap in the portion I plan on freeze distilling. I'm pretty sure ice crystals tend to form on impurities first, so I should be able to get most of the junk out during the freeze distillation process.

Thanks mate! Found it :)
http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/product_in...roducts_id=8799

I'm after these too:
http://www.amazon.com/Drilled-Rubber-Stopp...6124&sr=8-1

Shattered they don't deliver to Oz either! :p

Can't find them on any of the sponsor sites.

Winequip just around the corner from me are wholesalers to most brewshops in vic. They have most of everything I need.
They have those bungs

But I warn you, I've not found a bung yet that I'm happy with for carboys. When I asked at Winequip, they siad... hmmm they're hard things to bung. THe silicone bungs I've got now work well, but if wet just pop out. At least they pop out quick, not like the rubber ones that take an hour.

To fix the issue with my rubber bung when i first encountered it, I got a length of wire from a scrap of phone cable, and a champagne cork wire. I then removed the bottom loop from the cork wire and replaced it with the copper wire. (Unfortunately a champagne cork wire wont fix around a carboy neck without being lengthened.) Then simply wired the rubber stopper in. It didn't move again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi All,

Well, this grasshopper has been quite patient (read: busy) and has left his cyser alone for a few months. This is the result, just a little bit clearer than it was! :p

IMG_1214__Large_.JPG

I have a couple of days leave, and was hoping to bottle. I've used all my honey for the feijoa wine I made, so I bought some dextrose to prime with (probably the better option).

My plan is (please correct me/guide me/slap me if I'm wrong):

1) Rack 14lt to a clean fermenter (didn't buy a bottling bucket).
2) Prime with dextrose (I'm not sure how much to use, what would people recommend for similar carbonation to Magners?).
3) Bottle into 12 x Magners pint bottles.
4) Add an amount of stevia to the remaining 7lt or so (not sure how much for a nice sweetness, but not TOO sweet).
5) Bottle into the remaining 12 pint bottles.

So I think I might be almost really, I would just like a couple of suggestion:

1) How much dextrose to use (to prime 14lt to approximately the same carbonation as Magners).
2) How much stevia to use (to sweeten the last 7lt to keep the missus happy :p).

Thanks all!

Hi All,

Well, this grasshopper has been quite patient (read: busy) and has left his cyser alone for a few months. This is the result, just a little bit clearer than it was! :p

View attachment 48697

I have a couple of days leave, and was hoping to bottle. I've used all my honey for the feijoa wine I made, so I bought some dextrose to prime with (probably the better option).

My plan is (please correct me/guide me/slap me if I'm wrong):

1) Rack 14lt to a clean fermenter (didn't buy a bottling bucket).
2) Prime with dextrose (I'm not sure how much to use, what would people recommend for similar carbonation to Magners?).
3) Bottle into 12 x Magners pint bottles.
4) Add an amount of stevia to the remaining 7lt or so (not sure how much for a nice sweetness, but not TOO sweet).
5) Bottle into the remaining 12 pint bottles.

So I think I might be almost really, I would just like a couple of suggestion:

1) How much dextrose to use (to prime 14lt to approximately the same carbonation as Magners).
2) How much stevia to use (to sweeten the last 7lt to keep the missus happy :p).

Thanks all!

Process looks good. Amount wise, try this priming calculator - http://webspace.webring.com/people/ms/sirl...Calculator.html

You probably want to aim for around 2 volumes.

No idea on the stelvia... add a tiny bit, taste... rinse... repeat...

Cheers
Dave

Process looks good. Amount wise, try this priming calculator - http://webspace.webring.com/people/ms/sirl...Calculator.html

You probably want to aim for around 2 volumes.

No idea on the stelvia... add a tiny bit, taste... rinse... repeat...

Cheers
Dave

No worries, it's sitting at about 15C, so for 2 volumes it says to add 55.8g to 17lt. Will give it a go tomorrow :)

Sounds good, I'll just add and taste with the stevia, although I'll have to keep in mind that there will be some sweetness (caused by the dextrose) that will be lost when the yeasties do their thing.

Also, anything special I should do after bottling? Lay them down, keep them upright etc?

Cheers!

Also, anything special I should do after bottling? Lay them down, keep them upright etc?

OH! Also, do I have to put any campden tablets in as a preservative when bottling? Or were the couple I put in at the start enough?

OH! Also, do I have to put any campden tablets in as a preservative when bottling? Or were the couple I put in at the start enough?
I never do, unless I'm stabilising for residual sugars.
I know it's a bit early, but would you like to organise a bottle swap? I have one aging now from the start of this year... and I'm eager to see if mine's any good.

I never do, unless I'm stabilising for residual sugars.
I know it's a bit early, but would you like to organise a bottle swap? I have one aging now from the start of this year... and I'm eager to see if mine's any good.

Yeah cool as, didn't think ya did :) Because this is my first run and so much time has passed since I did all my study, I was second guessing myself like an idiot!

I bulk primed with dextrose, bottled half, then added stevia (to taste) to the remaining. I only got 28 pint bottles out of it, have about a gallon left over which I'm going to... do stuff to. :)

It tastes okish at the moment, will give it 3 months then chill some and see how it goes! My mates got some on at the moment, he breaks all the rules and is quite haphazard in his approach to homebrew, but always tends to come up with half decent stuff! He has quite a few hives, and makes big batches of mead each year that comes out really well.

Dunno if it's worth swapping any of this swill, but would be keen to hook up for a tasting in a few months :) Might even have my feijoa melomel bottled by then (but it'll be very young still).

Yeah cool as, didn't think ya did :) Because this is my first run and so much time has passed since I did all my study, I was second guessing myself like an idiot!

I bulk primed with dextrose, bottled half, then added stevia (to taste) to the remaining. I only got 28 pint bottles out of it, have about a gallon left over which I'm going to... do stuff to. :)

It tastes okish at the moment, will give it 3 months then chill some and see how it goes! My mates got some on at the moment, he breaks all the rules and is quite haphazard in his approach to homebrew, but always tends to come up with half decent stuff! He has quite a few hives, and makes big batches of mead each year that comes out really well.

Dunno if it's worth swapping any of this swill, but would be keen to hook up for a tasting in a few months :) Might even have my feijoa melomel bottled by then (but it'll be very young still).

Mead is more forgiving of haphazard techniques than you'd think.
I'm going to be in Ballarrat for a tasting in a month or so... perhaps we could work something out.
My cyser is definitely not ready. Still brew, 14% with residual sugar. finishing at 1004 or thereabouts I think... I'd need to check my log. It was quite hot and tart last time I tried it (at primary racking) but that was some time ago.

Well... what a fizzer! Or, lack of fizz... er :(

Bottled 2 weeks ago, thought I would give one of the bottles a sneaky sample... No carbonation what so ever. The non stevia'd batch tastes better than the stevia'd batch, but still tastes quite young. I don't know what happened :|

Dead yeast I'm thinking.
Perhaps too much alcohol?
Perhaps too cool to restart? Yeast doesn't like restarting a brew that's got more than 7% alcohol, do it could be stalled.
Perhaps got too hot just before bottling and pasteurised?
There are many possibilities.
Still mead's ok. I like force carving anyhow.

Latest posts

Back