Cyclone Debbie. Bring it on.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RdeVjun said:
Could knock out a stovetop MiniBIAB before breakfast with that fresh rainwater Bribie!

However in all seriousness, some folks are getting hammered in various ways, hope they're all safe, sound and the community mobilises to help them back on their feet.
Yep certainly getting hammered I'm sure the maternity wards will be busy in around 9 months. I mean no tv, power, cold beer, what else do you expect people to do.

Bribie G said:
7000 people about to be evacuated from Lismore. I can't get to Aldi Liquor section for my Rivet Lager. Bloody inconsiderate Rain Gods.
The Gods have merely seen fit to favor you with time to reflect on the wisdom of that decision. Tis a deliverance of sorts. Mysterious ways 'n' all that shit you know.

Danscraftbeer said:
I don't get it. So its not good to have 100%?
Is it not capable to store 100%?
Have a look at a picture of the dam embankment. Where do you think all those rocks are going to go if the dam reaches 101%?

The sea was angry that day my friends, like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

wp_ss_20170331_0001.png

wp_ss_20170331_0002.png

Lismore just now.

When it dries out and gets going again I'm going to do absolutely all my shopping, petrol, grogs etc there to try and help the bizzos there, even my few hundreds will help I'm sure.

lismore floods 2.jpg

Tried to get a hold of my brother who has a creek that runs through his property that flows into the Albert River but had no luck. I'll just assume he has enough meth for himself and food for his dog to get through the next few days.

For everyone that isn't a hermit tweaker, always follow the government advice in these situations:

weakcunt.jpg

Rockhampton will go under in a week or so too. The Fitzroy is an enormous river, by East Coast standards, and all the water entering that catchment needs to pass through the city. At least they have plenty of time to prepare .

It breaks my heart like many people to see this. Not enough water it can be devastating. Then too much its catastrophic.
I refer back to what I have only read as science fiction so far but logical. A logic totally overseen by short term mentality.
Irrigation rather than over complicated and ridiculously expensive Desal Plants etc. Desal plants are really rediculouse we are back to front on this water scenarios.
Consider money/infrastructure. It would be better to have irrigation that can divert the water than be a disaster and reservoir catches.
Its like our modern technological short term mentality totally missed it.

To think that situations like this heavy rainfall should/could be celebrated as a win! rather than suffering terrible disaster.

$0.02

Danscraftbeer said:
It breaks my heart like many people to see this. Not enough water it can be devastating. Then too much its catastrophic.
I refer back to what I have only read as science fiction so far but logical. A logic totally overseen by short term mentality.
Irrigation rather than over complicated and ridiculously expensive Desal Plants etc. Desal plants are really rediculouse we are back to front on this water scenarios.
Consider money/infrastructure. It would be better to have irrigation that can divert the water than be a disaster and reservoir catches.

To think that situations like this heavy rainfall should/could be celebrated as a win! rather than suffering terrible disaster.

$0.02
Well, in fairness, the folks who can make those disturbingly expensive projects happen have only got a three year cycle to play with and need to prioritize. Digging holes and trenches out at Woop Woop wont get you as many votes as cutting the ribbon on a spanking new footy oval or a that much needed 75th shopping complex within a five kilometer radius.
But its the 90% of the rest of the world thats out of step with their four and five year parliamentary cycle, not us. Idiots.

Danscraftbeer said:

$0.02

GoogleTranslate-1jawf0a.png

Infrastructure (Levee) in Lismore is only good (as I understand) for a 1 in 10 or so flooding event.

The business owners know that and are mostly prepared. But if I were a ratepayer / business owner I'd be questioning whether a 1/10 levee is up to the mustard.

The Cbd is right on the river due to historic reasons (timber cutters sending produce down the river) but there's no need for business to be centred there nowadays (we have a highway and bugger all timber left).

Floodplains flood. That's what they do. I'm always surprised when people are surprised that a floodplain has flooded.

Major problem with Lismore is that it sits right on the junction of two rivers: Wilson's River and Leycester Creek, both of which carry the run off from the Border Ranges, for example Nimbin. Many newcomers make the mistake of thinking that the big river they see as they cross into town is the Richmond, however that mighty river which drains the Western part of the ranges from Kyogle joins the Wilsons way South of town and when that floods as well, the Wilsons backs up and floodwater has nowhere to go in Lismore.

The new buildings are mostly two storey with parking underneath (Lismore Square shopping town, KFC, Hungry Jacks, Aldi, Officeworks, Centrelink etc etc) although thinking about it, Dan's is ground level.. I expect they got smashed. Hmmm... flood stock sale?????

I've stayed at this motel, they just spent a couple of mills renovating all the rooms to four star quality, now rooted.

lismore motel.jpg

Most councils legislative structures for 1/100 year flooding.

1/10 doesn't really cut the mustard, that's a bit frequent for my liking. Must be hard to get insurance...

Sad thing is that the megafranchises like I mentioned aren't too badly affected, hose out the car park afterwards and they can start trading again. It's all the mum and dad stores like Magic Noodle, the art and framing shop I use, the pubs, cafes and the healthfood and asian stores that are fecked.

Too true, those family stores give the town it's character.

Anyway they are tough cookies and will bounce back I'm sure with community support.

Latest posts

Back