Custom Mashtun

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thanme

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My brother works for a company that builds custom coolrooms, and they're getting rid of a bunch of coolroom panel off cuts, so he called me to see if I wanted anything made from it for my brewing (so thoughtful :p), so he's going to build me a nice little box for a party keg, but it also got me thinking that I can use this to give me a leg up into AG and maybe I could get a mashtun while he's at it. So, what would be the ideal dimensions/size for a mashtun? I'm assuming a tun made out of coolroom panel would be heavy, but awesomely well insulated which would be good. Initially I'd be doing single batches, but I'm all about scalability, especially when it's not costing a lot ;)
I'd also prefer to go the false bottom route if possible (easier for me as I'm not overly handy :p), but I don't know how practical that will be. Any ideas would be awesome however :)

aim for 50ltrs....

Just make sure you use Food grade silicon that can handle 85C (visit bunnings) to make it water tight.

Also, get him to make you a miracle box...

even seen a large rectangle mini cool rooom - approx 1.5m x2mx 1.5m with an air conditioner fitted with a mash master reg to ckill the kegs down to 5C. just be careful that the air cond does not ice up too much.

This should give you some ideas.

Hi guys,

My brother works for a company that builds custom coolrooms, and they're getting rid of a bunch of coolroom panel off cuts, so he called me to see if I wanted anything made from it for my brewing (so thoughtful :p ), so he's going to build me a nice little box for a party keg, but it also got me thinking that I can use this to give me a leg up into AG and maybe I could get a mashtun while he's at it. So, what would be the ideal dimensions/size for a mashtun? I'm assuming a tun made out of coolroom panel would be heavy, but awesomely well insulated which would be good. Initially I'd be doing single batches, but I'm all about scalability, especially when it's not costing a lot ;)
I'd also prefer to go the false bottom route if possible (easier for me as I'm not overly handy :p ), but I don't know how practical that will be. Any ideas would be awesome however :)

What do they Cut the Panels with? I see them a fair bit at our Local Recycling Centre and wouldnt mind building a Custom Esky for 19ltr Kegs....

CB

What do they Cut the Panels with? I see them a fair bit at our Local Recycling Centre and wouldnt mind building a Custom Esky for 19ltr Kegs....

CB
I'm a shop fitter and i've seen them cut the aluminuim panels with a circular saw with a TCT blade in it as aluminuim is pretty soft .Make sure you wear goggles and ear protection though as it does spit chips...
Just set up a straight edge for a nice even cut...and a quick file to smooth off the rough edges...
Cheers
Ferg

interesting ive got a heap out the back and been wondering what to cut them with

I managed to cut mine fairly well with just a small angle grinder, had to cut one side at a time turn it over and cut the other side as the angle grinder was not large enough to go through the whole thing in one hit.
You can always go over the edges again with the flat edge to clean it up, proberly not perfect but this is how I cut it out to fit a aircon in the side.
Its pretty soft stuff and easy to cut if you don't have the right tools for the job, i even managed to cut a piece in half with the edge of a 6" hole saw and a drill once, bit of a pain in the arse but it worked and the cut was cleaner then you would expect.

That Palmer site is a lot to take in! It's really quite complicated when you break it down :p

Should I go for a longer, shorter design, or skinnier, taller one??
To get arond 50L, I'd consider something like 350x350x450 (internal), which would give me 55L, and hopefully deep enough to be awesome, while not having too much headspace for lesser grain bills.

And yep, had thought of the silicon :)

Excuse my noobness, but what's a miracle box? That mini coolroom does sound awesome :D

I have no idea what they cut it with. I leave that to him ;)

miracle box is a box to chill your beer lines before serving.

Normally an esky filled with ice with SS coil which the beer travels through so the keg can be at ambient temps but the beer is served cold. Some guys use bronco taps with this setup, some a beer gun and some have shanks with a beer tap mounted to the esky. Great for parties and BBQs. Do a search heaps of info on them on here

CB

I have seen sandwich panel cut on site with a chisel and hammer.

Lefty

Edit : Spelling ;)

Like I said it is easy to cut with whatever tools you can find around, chisel and hammer though umm I guess you need to find something to do for the apprentice while you go do nothing/drink beer and smoke cones :p

Latest posts

Back