Curry

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
something like this I found on the net... Fijian ceviche
  • [size=-1]
    [*]1 pound freshly caught firm white fish, such as halibut, mahi, wahoo or walu
    [*]1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
    [*]1/4 cup lolo, we know as coconut cream (available at Asian markets)
    [*]2 TBSP very finely chopped green onions
    [*]2 TBSP finely chopped tomatoes
    [*]Red pepper flakes to taste
    [*]Salt to taste[/size]
[size=-1]Cut the fish into cubes. Marinate in lime juice overnight or for at least two hours. Drain the juice and set aside. Add the coconut cream, tomatoes, red pepper flakes and salt, and some of the lime juice you set aside to taste (it should be tangy). Serve chilled and garnished with spring onions and a wedge of lime, ideally in a half coconut or clam shell. This makes a good appetizer and a good entre. [/size]

That sounds good. I think they also do something similar in the carribian with squid & octopus rather than fish. Maybe some of Tony's 7 pots or scorpions would be the go there...

Cheers
Dave

Mate......... if you can add a 7 to that and finnish it i will be amazed. a single slice of one put me well and truly out of action for anything other than pannic and swearing for about 15 minuites.

The goatsweeds i grow are a native from peru. Would work well. They are about as hot as a habanero.

might try this some time

cheers

Just put a Chicken Vindaloo in the fridge to marinate:

This is one of the most loved Indian curries in the UK. All Indian restaurants have it on their menu. It is a Portuguese influenced dish from Goa, in India. Traditionally, it was not meant to be hot. It originally contained pork, potatoes, (aloo) and vinegar (Vin), hence the name. However, as most curry house chefs in UK were Muslims, mainly Bangladeshis, they did not eat pork. They replaced the pork with beef and/or chicken. These days, you dont see pork Vindaloo at all in UK. Present day UK Vindaloo contains beef or chicken and it sometimes has chopped potatoes.

Another story about its name, which seems more feasible to me, is that vin stands for vinegar and alho is garlic in Portuguese. So, it is a pork dish made with vinegar and lots of garlic. The term Vindaloo in present day Indian restaurants in UK simply means a very hot curry that brings tears to your eyes! Hotter the better for some! Serves 4

Ingredients
500 gm. pork or beef or lamb
1 tsp. cardamom seeds*
3-4 cloves*
3-4 peppercorns* (If you want it really hot, add 8-10 pepper corns)
1 inch piece cinnamon stick*
1 tbs. coriander seeds*
1 tsp. cumin seeds*
1/2 tsp. fenugreek or methi seeds*
3-4 dry red chillies
2 heaped tablespoons shredded garlic
1 tablespoon shreddedginger
1 large onion, peeled, sliced
2 tbs. oil
1 1/2 inch piece root ginger, peeled
2-3 garlic cloves, peeled
1 heaped tsp. chilli powder
1 tsp. turmeric powder
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tbs. cider or wine vinegar
3-4 curry leaves (not bay leaves)
2-3 tbs. vegetable oil
1 tsp. mustard seeds
50 ml. Water

Instructions
1. Dry roast ingredients marked * in a wok or in a microwave, adding chillies only towards the end. Chillies burn quickly and become bitter.
2. Heat oil in a pan and fry onion slices, until deep deep brown. Take out onto a greased paper. Leave oil in the pan.
3. Place ginger, garlic, fried onions, chilli powder, turmeric, salt, roasted whole spices * and vinegar in a blender and make a fine puree. If necessary, add a little water or more vinegar to make a paste.
4. Place chicken in a bowl, add the spice paste and mix thoroughly.
5. Keep in the fridge for a few hours, preferable overnight, in a covered container (otherwise, everything else in the fridge will smell).
6. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan or wok.
7. Add mustard seeds and curry leaves.
8. When seeds splutter, add meat in its marinade, stir well and cook covered until meat is tender. (about 2hrs)
9. You will need to stir it from time to time and add water if it becomes too dry.
10. Garnish it with fresh coriander leaves.
11. Serve with Boiled Rice and natural yoghurt. Yoghurt is to cool down your mouth!

Notes
You can add diced potatoes halfway through cooking.
If you want it fiery hot, add more chillies and black pepper than given in this recipe.

I usually use about 10-15 black peppercorns and about 10-12 dry red chillies

Cheers
Steve

Hmmm slow cooked for 2 hours...tender :icon_drool2:

I like to add a little coriander or mint to the yoghurt with a pinch of cracked black pepper.

Freshly baked naans for dipping and you're in flavour country!

What are you drinking with it Steve?

Hmmm slow cooked for 2 hours...tender :icon_drool2:

I like to add a little coriander or mint to the yoghurt with a pinch of cracked black pepper.

Freshly baked naans for dipping and you're in flavour country!

What are you drinking with it Steve?

havent done my own naans at home. I usually make roties n parathas...but ive been out to a very pissy family lunch and cant be stuffed so im just going the shop bought ones

Drinking:

a beer kegged last night

9kg BB Galaxy
1kg Light Crystal

Superpride for bittering and nothing else US05 for yeast. A nice quoffer...cant type! going now!

If you want it fiery hot, add more chillies and black pepper than given in this recipe.

I usually use about 10-15 black peppercorns and about 10-12 dry red chillies

Sounds great Steve.

And you recon i use to many ingredients :blink: I love curry with lots of complexity and this looks fantastic!

Let me know your Address a per the PM i sent you and i will cut that chilli usage back to a pinch :super:

On another note............ i just ordered a Curry plant. My brother sent me a link to a mob in QLD that post small plants.

I will report back on how it goes....... im a bit sceptical but he had a miricle fruit plant sent with no harm done.

cheers

PS....... Steve..... im going to make this through the week to take for lunches at work. I have hundreds of Indian Jalokia PC1's dry and hung i n my garage. Perfect for this..... and not being muslem..... im using dead pig!

Edit: Quick tought............ do you use the cinnimon stich whole and remove it or crush it and leave it in?

Edit: Quick tought............ do you use the cinnimon stich whole and remove it or crush it and leave it in?

dry roast it with the rest of the spices and then chuck them all in your coffee grinder and grind to a powder.

Edit....the vindaloo was sensational - nice and hot. Loads left over for lunch today. Also really cook the onions until they are very brown. This gives the brown colour to the curry.

Recipes look good. We love our curries here. The frozen paratha/roti chani you get from asian supermarkets are great if you can be bothered making your own bread.

cheers
Andrew.

Having this for dinner. Its beautiful:

Chicken Curry from Sri Lanka

Sri Lankan Murga Curry

Srilankan curries vary from house to house, just like Indian curries. It is difficult to generalise a curry recipe, but here is my version of cooking spicy chicken in coconut milk. the list of ingredients looks long but the recipe is not difficult to make. Serves 6-7

Ingredients

1 kg. chicken thigh pieces.
1 1/2 tbs. oil
1 tsp. mustard seeds
4-5 curry leaves
3 cardamoms* (large ones)
2 inch piece cinnamon stick*
1 stick of lemon grass (if you don't have it, use peel of 1/2 lemon or lime or use 1 big tbspon shredded)
2 medium onions (300 gm), peeled and finely chopped
2 medium tomatoes, chopped or equivalent amount of tinned tomatoes
2-3 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
2 tsp. coriander powder*
1 level tsp. turmeric powder*
1 tsp. chilli powder* (adjust to taste)
1 tsp. fennel powder*
2 tsp. sweet paprika powder* for colour (optional)
2 tsp. salt, adjust to taste
2 tbs. malt vinegar
1 1/2 cup coconut milk, un-sweetened

Instructions

1. Wash and drain chicken pieces.
2. Heat oil in a heavy pan and add mustard seeds, cardamoms, cinnamon, curry leaves and allow seeds to splutter.
3. Add onion ginger and garlic and fry until browned.
4. Add all spices, salt and vinegar and stir for a few seconds.
5. Add chicken and stir until well sealed and covered in spices.
6. Add tomatoes and lemon grass and cook on medium heat, covered, until chicken is tender.
7. Add coconut milk and adjust seasoning.
8. Let it reats for a few minutes and spoon of excessive fat, if necessary.
9. Serve with Boiled Rice.

Notes

You can garnish with chopped coriander leaves.

Cheers
Steve

I reckon we should all go to Steve's place for dinner folks! I'll bring the IPA.

cheers

Browndog

My brother sent me a link to a mob in QLD that post small plants.

I will report back on how it goes....... im a bit sceptical but he had a miricle fruit plant sent with no harm done.

Got the details Tony? I'd love to try this miracle fruit that's meant to be an incredible experience.

De boned the pork leg and diced it up. Doubled the recipe as i had 1kg of meat and the leftovers wont go astray!

Added 5 dry chillis and a teaspoon of dry ground Bhut Jalokia to the paste.

It was hot enough to render my taste buds useless and made my nose run :)

cheers

StevesVindalo824x549.jpg

Tops recipe mate... very nice.

De boned the pork leg and diced it up. Doubled the recipe as i had 1kg of meat and the leftovers wont go astray!

cheers

StevesVindalo824x549.jpg

Damm that looks tasty!! I just gotta make me a curry, wonder if I can slow smoke one in a casserole dish in the smoker??

http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/?PHPSESSID=5...c6833bfab6d7404

Cooking a curry now.... Steves Vindalo

Used a pork leg that was on special for $5.95/kg...... cant beat that :)

pics to come :)

cheers

Tony, I have bought a curry plant from Daley's, and had it sent with some other exotics, by barge to Weipa, Cape York, without too many dramas. The service from Kathy was very good.
6 or 8 leaves in any style of curry really adds to the overall flavour.

Regards

Tonights dinner :icon_drool2: !

Cumin Lamb, Potato and Pea curry, Chango Mutney and Pickled Vegies all with some nice jasmine rice and Roti bread(not in the pic)

Reckon I'll give your Vindy recipe a go soon Steve, sounds delish!

C&B
TDA

Curry.jpg

Tony tried your curry the other night
And it was certainly a winner, Even the the next day for lunch

woulda liked it hotter but out red chilli plant hasnt done too well this year
But the Habeneros have done amazing and are still going nuts with dozens of new chillies forming up on it. So i think ill be adding a couple of those to spice up the heat a bit :icon_drool2:

Although I would love to try your jalokias or 7s if your willing to trade.. im sure ive got something i could offer :p

Tom

cheers

StevesVindalo824x549.jpg

No worries - glad it came out nice :beer:

Cheers
Steve

Had this for dinner last night (my wifes favourite):

Chicken Tikka (for starters), Raita and Murgh Mahkani (butter chicken)

Raita

This is perhaps the most common raita served in Indian restaurants and a very popular one during summer months in India. You can use Kakri, instead of cucumber, if you wish. Kakri is a light green, ridged Indian cucumber. Serves 4-6

Ingredients
• 2 cups natural yoghurt or dahi
• 1 cup grated or chopped cucumber
• 1 green chilli-finely chopped (optional
• 1/t tsp. salt,adjust to taste (black rock salt is good, buy from Indian grocers)
• 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
• 1/2 tsp. roast cumin seeds, coarsely ground (dry roast in microwave or in a wok or frying pan)*

Instructions
1. Beat yoghurt, salt, black pepper and cumin together.
2. Add cucumber and green chillies and mix well. Adjust salt. Serve chilled.
3. To garnish, you can sprinkle a bit of roast cumin and chilli powder on top.

*To roast cumin seeds in microwave, place 2 tbs. seeds on a suitable dish. Microwave on full for 3 minutes, stir them up, roast for a minute at a time until a nice aroma of 'roast' cumin arises. To roast in a wok or on a griddle, simple heat a griddle and dry roast until the correct aroma rises. It is very distinctive, you won't miss it! Cool and coarsely grind.

Chicken Tikka

• 3-4 Chicken thighs cut into halves
• 1.5 tbspns Tandoori Masala* (see below)
• 2 tbspns plain yoghurt or the already prepared raita
• 3-4 drop of Red food colouring (if you want to make it look like what you get in an indian restaurant) Looks great when cooked!

Instructions

1. Place chicken in an oven dish.
2. Coat chicken in yoghurt or raita
3. Sprinkle on tandoori masala and stir again to mix it all in.
4. Place on pre soaked wooden skewers
5. Let marinade in the fridge for a while
6. Take out of the fridge, turn the oven on to its highest setting 200-250 and let it preheat for 15 mins
7. Cook chicken in the oven for 20 mins, turn over and brush with any marinade left over, cook for a furher 20 mins until bright and and slighly blackened/charred.

* Tandoori Masala

This makes enough for a small jars worth which can last weeks in an airtight jar.

Ingredients
• 8 tsp. coriander powder
• 4 tsp. cumin seed powder
• 4 tsp. sweet paprika powder (for colour)
• 2 tsp. red chilli powder
• 2 tsp. garlic powder*
• 2 tsp. ginger powder*
• 2 tsp. garam masala powder
• 3 tsp. dry mango powder (amchoor). If you do not have mango powder, either use anardana (pomegranate seeds) powder or add lemon juice to the dish where you are using tandoori masala.
• 1/2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg

Instructions
1. Mix all ingredients together in a dry bowl, transfer to a dry, screw-top jar and store.
2. *You can omit garlic and ginger powder and add fresh, when ready to use this mix.
3. ~ If you do not have either of these, add lemon juice when ready to use this mix.

Murgh Mahkani (Butter chicken)

This dish has chicken in a thick, creamy sauce, hence the name. It is not very highly spiced and has delicious, gentle flavour. Makhani means 'buttery' or 'creamy'. Serves 4

Ingredients
• 700 gm. to 1 kg. chicken pieces of your choice, skin removed
• 2 tbs. (30 gm.) butter
• 2 tbs. oil
• 2-3 bay leaves 1 inch piece of cinnamon stick
• 1 level tbs. ginger, finely grated or ground into paste*
• 1 level tbs. garlic, finely grated or paste*
• 1 medium or 150 gm onion, peeled and ground to a paste*
• 1 tsp. sugar
• 500 gm. tomatoes, pureed in a blender (can use 350 gm. tinned, but taste is better with fresh)
• 1 tsp. chilli powder, adjust to taste
• 2 tsp. paprika powder for colour
• 1 1/2 tsp. Tandoori Masala (see above).
• Salt to taste, about 1 tsp.
• 2-3 tbs. cashew nuts, soaked for 1 hour and ground to a paste
• 1 cup or 250 ml. milk
• 1/2 cup or 125 ml. water (less if frozen chicken is used)
• 3 tbs. or 60 ml. double cream. Sour cream can be used
• 1 tsp. Garam Masala
• *Ginger, garlic and onions can be ground all together to a paste in a blender.

Instructions
1. Making gravy:
2. Heat butter and oil in a heavy bottomed pan or karahi.
3. Add bay leaves, cinnamon, ginger-garlic-onion paste and fry. Add sugar when it is beginning to look transparent. Sugar helps to calamalise the onions. Cook until it turns brownish and all the water is gone.
4. Add pureed tomato, chilli powder, salt, tandoori/chaat masala and fry until water is evaporated and oil separates at the edges of the mass.
5. Add cashew paste and fry for a further 10-15 seconds.
6. Add milk and water and bring to boil, stirring all the time. The gravy should be of custard consistency. It is better to add less water to start with and adjust later if the dish is looking too dry.
7. Cooking the Chicken:
8. Add chicken pieces, stir fry for a couple of minutes and cook covered until chicken is tender. At this stage, it can be transferred to a slow cooker. When the dish is ready, the gravy turns to a brighter colour and the fat separates.
9. Turn the heat to minimum, add half the cream and garam masala and half the coriander leaves. Stir well.
10. Adjust salt/chillies/tandoori masala to taste and turn the heat off.
11. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and 1 tbs. fresh cream.

I cook this for about 2 hours

You can cook this dish in an oven too:
Prepare gravy/sauce as above. Place chicken pieces in an oven-proof dish and pour over the gravy. Cook in a pre-heated oven at 180 C or 350 F or Gas mark 4, for approximately 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Oven temperatures and times vary. Add cream and garam masala and cook for a further 5 minutes. Add and mix cream, garnish with coriander leaves.

Serve with fragrant Jasmine or Basmati rice*, poppodoms, naan bread, parathas or rotis.

*Add half a tspns turmeric, 4-5 green whole cardamon pods, 3-4 cloves to the rice before it starts to cook.

Cheers
Steve

Back