Curry Recipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gar

Reaction score
Nothing better than a good curry in this miserable weather... anybody got a favourite recipe?

One of my favourites is a beef Rendang
icon_drool2.gif

-Ingredients-

800-900g Beef (chuck or topside) cut into nice BIG chunks
4 cups Coconut Milk
1 cup of Coconut Meat (finally grated)
2 stalks of Lemongrass (bashed about a bit)
3 Kaffir Lime Leaves
3 tbsp Peanut oil
2 tsp Raw Sugar
Salt & Pepper to taste

-Chilli Paste-

1 Roughly chopped Onion
4 tbsp Sambal Olek
1.5" Ginger
1" Galangal (fresh if possible)
1.5" Tumeric Root (fresh if possible)
2 tsp Salt
little splash of oil

1) Season Beef with Salt + Pepper and set aside for 30mins or so

2) Blend all the ingredients of the Chilli paste with a blender or morter & pestle

3) In a dry pan, toast the Coconut meat until golden (be careful, it'll take a while to start toasting and then change quickly!) allow to cool, crush up and set aside.

4) Heat oil in a pan/wok and fry the Chilli paste for a minute or so.

5) Add the Coconut milk and bring to a gentle boil

6) Add Beef and boil for 10 mins

7) Add the Lemongrass, Kaffir Lime leaves, Sugar & season with Salt & Pepper

8) Kill the heat to its lowest, cover and simmer for an hour and a half or so.

9) Remove the lid & when it starts to thicken add the Coconut meat

10) Continue to cook until the Curry is VERY thick and the oil is seperating (the dryer the better for my liking)

11) Gerrit inya, I like it with rice and a bit of Lime Pickle

Here is my dinner tonight, does it count or is it cheating? ;)
ricecurry.jpg

In one go I meant.

Hope you have a big bowl.

My curry recipes vary each time and obviously with whether it's Indian/sri lankan style or south east asian style.

I prefer to use whole spices when I have them (ground fresh and toasted) but am often content with packets of spice from my local arabic supermarket which are cheap and quality.

Always toast my dry spices first and cook out my garlic and ginger softly and separately. To toast spices, I heat a dry pan till it's hot (not super hot), throw in the spice with the pan off heat, stir quickly and thoroughly till aromatic and throw away if it burns.

I like to marinate meats in the curry paste if I have the time.

One really good way I've recently discovered to cook super moist, tender chicken quickly (when researching pho recipes) is to cover the whole chook in cold water and bring to the boil. As soon as it hits the boil, drain, rinse the chook quickly in cold water till warm to the touch, then let it rest till cool.

You can then strip the chicken and use the bones to make a stock. The chook flesh will render pink breasts and slightly undercooked legs, depending on the size of the chook and if you do it properly. The meat will be super tender so slice up, season and add into a hot (as in temp) curry paste or whatever and finish cooking. Good for risottos and laksas too. For a marinated meat curry - make the curry base and cook out, allow to cool, cover the chicken overnight and then cook up with a touch of stock or coconut.

Three other things that work with curry:

-Slow cooking
-Begin the garlic (and onions if you use them) in a cold pan, seasoned and use a very low heat to soften them for 15 -20 mins.
-If using ginger, blister the ginger skin in a hot pan or on a grill till the outside just begins to blacken. Allow to cool, the peel the skin and you will have a slightly soft, aromatic ginger knob. Peel ginger with a spoon (fresh or blistered), use young soft ginger rather than old hard crap.

Might not go well on a beer forum, being veg, but here's my pea and potato curry.

750g potato
250g frozen (or fresh) peas
bunch fresh mint chopped
3 cloves garlic chopped
Teaspoon chopped fresh ginger
2 chopped chillies (or chilli powder to taste)
2 fine chopped onions

1 tablespoon oil
2 tsp brown mustard seed
2 tsp cumin seed
1 tsp funugreek seed
1 tsp fennel seed
1.5 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp salt

chop potato into small pieces and microwave till cooked
heat oil in pan, add seeds and fry gently till seeds start to pop.
Add onions, fry till soft, mixing with seeds.
Add fresh herbs, salt and turmeric, fry for a few minutes.
Add cooked potato and peas, and a splash of water. Bring to simmer.

Cook for about 15 min on low heat.

Good on its own, as a side dish or a filling for samosas.

Might not go well on a beer forum, being veg, but here's my pea and potato curry.

There's vegoes on this forum and if it's a good curry recipe, a vegoe can work out how to take meat out and an omnivore can work out how to put meat in.

Curry is about the base and how it will work with the meal so smart cooks can extrapolate.

I'm a fan of aloo paratha which your recipe looks like it would fit.

Just realised I stuffed up the cut and paste on the first post so have deleted and added it again.

Heres a Sri Lankan Beef curry recipe from my dad. Very popular at curry nights.
I use the cheapest meat cuts and it turns out very tender. I also add potatoes after the first hour. The curry powder I use is either the Jaffna curry powder or the Sri Lankan dark roasted.

Sri-Lankan Beef Curry

Ingredients

Stage 1
3 tablespoons Ghee or oil
2 large onions (Finely chopped)
1 Tablespoon Fresh ginger (Finely Chopped)
3 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
Stage 2
4 tablespoons Ceylon Curry powder
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
Stage 3
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon vinegar

Stage 4
1.5 kgs stewing steak (Cut into small cubes)

Stage 5
6-10 fresh red chillies (Or 3 teaspooons chilli powder)
1 can whole tomatoes (Drain liquid first)

1. Fry onions garlic and ginger in ghee or oil until golden.
2. Add stage 2 ingredients and fry for 3-4 minutes.
3. Add stage 3 ingredients and stir well.
4. Add stewing steak and fry on medium heat to coat meat well.
5. Add stage 5 ingredients and simmer on very low heat for two hours with lid on.

Stir well every 30 minutes.
After 1.5 hours if gravy is to thin or theres too much, remove lid and increase heat for last half hour.
If preferred add a cup of coconut cream and simmer for 10 mins longer.
Taste test and add salt or lemon if desired.

I ******* LOVE curry!

SWMBO was from that part of the world in her last life I swear!

We went up to the winter magic festival on the weekend at katoomba, had some good food at a few stalls, ended up with a pile I chicken thighs marinated in curry goodness (home made) overnight and bbqed the next for dinner! (for ease of cleaning) whacked the roti on the BBQ as well and served with the yoghurt and one of my favourites, eggplant pickle!

I'm showing her this thread after work tonight for sure!

My samosa dough:

2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup water
Filling - any curry

Mix the water, salt and flour to a dough, pliable but not sticking to fingers. If it's too tough, add some water, too sticky add some flour.

Divide into 16 pieces, about the size of a walnut. keep the bag of flour on the bench, and roll out the dough with a rolling pin, nice and thin, about 10cm diameter, dusting with flour to stop the dough sticking. Put a spoonfull of curry in the middle, use the tip of your finger in a cup of water to moisten the far half of the circumference, and fold the dough over and pinch the edges to join. You now have a semicircle shaped samosa. Fill a pan with vegetable oil 2cm deep, heat to almost smoking and fry the samosas one side at a time on a medium/high heat. Place on paper towel to drain.
You can also deep fry.

You can make bigger samosas by dividing to fewer pieces and rolling bigger.

I have always told my missus that If I ever find a woman that can cook a beef vindaloo like the ones from my fav indian restraunt that she is in trouble. I have had many people attempt to make me a good beef vindaloo but theyre never even close to what the indian places dish up.
Anyone got a recipe that comes close?

Curry Recipes, Got a goodun?

No sir, what you ask for doesn't exist.
Curry is the ultimate in evil in food.
:D :lol:

from yesterday:

warm oil in the pan, throw in cumin seed.

Toss in cauliflower florets before the cumin starts to burn, mix. mediumish heat, don't burn it.

Chop and micro some potatoes. Keep aside until cauliflower has started wilting. Put it in at that time. You could also start cooking the potatoes in the cumin before the cauliflowers but I'm lazy and cut the guesswork out (every bloody potato cooks at a different speed). Add salt, chilli powder, turmeric powder. Cook uncovered for a few minutes. Try to keep the cauliflower from wilting too much.

Ta da!

recap: tablespoon of oil, couple of pinches of cumin seed, a cauliflower or half, a few potatoes, pinch of turmeric, salt & chilli powder to taste.

under no circumstances add water to the pan. Really, do not put in any garlic, onion or ginger, not required.

Also made some moong-masoor daal (takes ~5 minutes).

My samosa dough:

2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup water
Filling - any curry

Mix the water, salt and flour to a dough, pliable but not sticking to fingers. If it's too tough, add some water, too sticky add some flour.

Divide into 16 pieces, about the size of a walnut. keep the bag of flour on the bench, and roll out the dough with a rolling pin, nice and thin, about 10cm diameter, dusting with flour to stop the dough sticking. Put a spoonfull of curry in the middle, use the tip of your finger in a cup of water to moisten the far half of the circumference, and fold the dough over and pinch the edges to join. You now have a semicircle shaped samosa. Fill a pan with vegetable oil 2cm deep, heat to almost smoking and fry the samosas one side at a time on a medium/high heat. Place on paper towel to drain.
You can also deep fry.

You can make bigger samosas by dividing to fewer pieces and rolling bigger.

I know what I am making friday night !!

:eek: Sacrilege!!

:angry: "Bring forth the Infidel Vat, we shall curry him" :angry:

I have always wanted to make a decent Biryani at home but have always expected to to be painfully laborious. I can tell you now from experience, its one of the easiest meals to prepare you just have to be willing to wait 45 mins for it to cook. A set and forget one pot wonder (if you re-use the pot you boiled the rice in.)

Enough to serve 4-6 people

Chicken marinade
2 packs of chicken thighs (1kg) or preferably bone in chicken marylands bone-in (4) each cut into 4 pieces
1tsp Turmeric
1tsp each Coriander and Cumin (ground)
Enough Yogurt to coat chicken
Chopped Mint
Chopped Coriander
Salt + Black Pepper
1 Inch ginger and 5 Garlic Cloves minced
1 tsp Chilli powder (to taste)
3-4 tsp fried onions (can be fried yourself or use the Malay style fried onions you get at the asian grocer).
3-4 tbps ghee or vegetable/grapeseed oil

Biryani Rice
2 cups basmati rice
2 Cassia leaves
1 stick of cinnamon/cassia
5 green cardamom pods, cracked
1 star anise (broken)
1 tsp cumin seeds
4 cloves

Assembly additions
Cashews and/or slivered almonds
Fried onions (same as used in marinade)
Saffron or saffrom color if you're that way inclined (optional)
2-3 tbps ghee

Mix all marinade ingredients together and then add chicken. leave to marinade for as long as possible (preferably 2-3 hours or overnight)

For the rice
Add rice to heavily salted water (like you would when boiling pasta) along with all the spices and bring to the boil. Par boil the rice until edges soften and then rinse rice in a colander enough to cool slightly and halt any further cooking.

In your largest pot layer all of the chicken pieces on the bottom and follow this by a 1 inch layer of rice topped with nuts. Add the next layer of rice, topped with onions and continue layering until all rice is used.

Finish the rice with saffron soaked in a small amount of milk (or your saffron powder, its fine to omit both if you do not have on hand) another layer of onions and nuts and dress the top of the rice with ghee.

pop a lid on the pot and on the lowest setting on your biggest stove top burner cook the biryani for 1/2 hour. Once cooked take from the burner and rest for 10-15 minutes with the lid on.

You will end up with a darkened delicious crust underneath the chicken (should not be burnt) and beautiful leavened biryani rice

Enjoy with some daal, raita and an ice cold beer. :icon_cheers:

Curry Recipes, Got a goodun?

:eek: Sacrilege!!

:angry: "Bring forth the Infidel Vat, we shall curry him" :angry:

Thanks for the laugh!

Mrs warra and I have been married for 37 years, and never ever have we participated in curry. We've had lots of other activities and proclivities, but never curry. Nor shall we ever.

My better half gets as far as a buttered chicken but thats about it...she isn't a fan of the heat.

Me on the otherhand LOOOOOVE anything hot...especially with a really some nice rotti and naan bread :icon_drool2:

Back