Current Favourite Spec Malt?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mje1980

Old Thunder brewery
Reaction score
Been loving Spec b lately. Had a bag for ages, but i've overused it before with horrible results. Last few batches, a brown ale, and a special bitter have been very nice. Im going to try a malty ale like Bombardier with it. Thinking 5% pale, 3% medium, then 2% Spec B.

Hey mje, what flavour do you get from the Special B? I used it for the first time recently in an amber ale at around 2% and got a real distinct aniseed flavour from it. Is this normal?

Gt to say ay favouraite specialty malt atm is carared

Hey mje, what flavour do you get from the Special B? I used it for the first time recently in an amber ale at around 2% and got a real distinct aniseed flavour from it. Is this normal?

Gt to say ay favouraite specialty malt atm is carared

I get a strong deep crystal malt flavour. Almost raisiny. Never noticed anniseed with it.

Also loving TF pale crystal. And definately weyermann abbey malt

Been loving Spec b lately. Had a bag for ages, but i've overused it before with horrible results. Last few batches, a brown ale, and a special bitter have been very nice. Im going to try a malty ale like Bombardier with it. Thinking 5% pale, 3% medium, then 2% Spec B.

Yeah i am on a special B binge, used a little in an american brown and liked it, so now i am trying a 10 min american amber with 8% special B, 2% pale choc, 45 IBU with approx 5g/L centennial and 2g/l chinook @ 10. Cold conditioning now, cant wait to try it.

Weyermann's Beech Smoked Malt

As I do mainly medieval type beers, their malt was usually fire dried, so a touch of smoke in every brew is good...
And the Rauchbier I did with 4kg Beech Smoked and 1Kg of Baird Peat Smoked malt has come out truely special...

Yeah i am on a special B binge, used a little in an american brown and liked it, so now i am trying a 10 min american amber with 8% special B, 2% pale choc, 45 IBU with approx 5g/L centennial and 2g/l chinook @ 10. Cold conditioning now, cant wait to try it.

8% Faaark mate, you really love it hehe. When its done, make sure you update us.

Chocolate has been my fav for the last few months.
I need some Spec. B but have just bought some golden naked oats to have a play with.

8% Faaark mate, you really love it hehe. When its done, make sure you update us.

Having my 1st taste now after 3 weeks in the keg. Can safely say this is the best amber I have done. Big roasty/toasty malt combined with pretty intense grapefruit hops upfront, only a hint of raisin beneath. Deeper coffe/caramel with a lingering bitterness at the end. Pretty big and bold amber in the west coast style, but balanced. Very happy.... Just started my third to get better acquainted! :party:

Manticle does g&g have Simpsons heritage? Or do you get yours elsewhere

Heritage xtal and cararoma.

Have a couple of belgians cc at present with abbet malt and hydro sample very tasty.

Doon, get my heritage from craftbrewer

Manticle does g&g have Simpsons heritage? Or do you get yours elsewhere

Got 1/4 sack in a bulk buy I ran in Dec 2011. Bulk buy was organised through grain and grape. Not sure how readily available it is but they certainly can get it.

I have noticed you and others mention it in some recipes and want to give it a try. It's not on their website will ask them next time I am in there

Back