CURRENT BATCH BRY-97

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBHB

Reaction score
Chased up the Aust Distributors of Lallemand BRY-97 and got a reply this afternoon to advise that the current batch is being replaced.

I believe there were no major issues with these yeasts, though the vitality of the yeast has had a few variable results from reports received and there is replacement stocks on the way via Airfreight out of the country of origin.

As soon as the replacement stocks are received, we'll advise to this thread.

The review of the batch was based on reports from brewers that they had mixed results with prolonged lag phases. There are no contamination issues.

I believe this is a good indicator of a company that stands by the quality of it's product and that Lallemand have done the right thing by brewers and it's distributor network by taking this measure.

Martin

Thanks Martin.

Do you know the lot numbers on the batch?

A couple of weeks ago I did an APA that took forever to get going (much longer than usual).
I thought I just hadn't oxygenated well enough, but maybe it was part of this lot?

Kumamoto_Ken said:
Thanks Martin.

Do you know the lot numbers on the batch?

A couple of weeks ago I did an APA that took forever to get going (much longer than usual).
I thought I just hadn't oxygenated well enough, but maybe it was part of this lot?
Just knocked off work and about to settle in with a Saison Ken. Will check the batch numbers tomorrow and drop them here for reference.

No worries Martin, and thanks for the reply. The beer fermented out ok so there's no drama, but I'd be interested to know if it was from the replaced batch.

Enjoy that Saison.

Cheers.

Looks like those Distributors are more responsive than the yeast.

All the boxes we have here from the batch are Lot 3520255V with a BBD of 05/2015

I threw a couple into a Centennial Hopped AIPA with an OG of 1.064 and it chewed down to 1.010 in 6 days. Was no signs of Krausen after 36 hrs and didn't get back to it until day 3 again.
2 packs rehydrated and pitched at 22 Deg C fridge set to 18 Deg C.

Thanks for letting people know. I was going to use some tomorrow on an APA, so will check batch numbers.

Martin, that seems fairly typical of the yeast since it hit the market, a seemingly longish lag followed by a fairly dry finish, not saying it isn't an issue, but it's certainly not a new one, the yeast review thread has this documented from way back. (my own among them)

Yob said:
Martin, that seems fairly typical of the yeast since it hit the market, a seemingly longish lag followed by a fairly dry finish, not saying it isn't an issue, but it's certainly not a new one, the yeast review thread has this documented from way back. (my own among them)
Agree that whilst usually pretty effective yeast this one does have a chequered history.

HBHB said:
All the boxes we have here from the batch are Lot 3520255V with a BBD of 05/2015
That was the lot number I had an issue with, although I almost certainly did not oxygenate as much as I normally do (I was watching footy {aka shouting at the telly} and drinking prior to pitching).
It was an APA with an OG of 1.050, and took about 5 days to do anything. I left it for three weeks in the FV and the FG was 1.012. It's been in the bottle for three weeks and tastes good, so no harm done that I can tell.

I do agree with the other posters that it almost always starts slowly, but this was slower than usual for me. It might have been a combo of the recalled batch and the lack of oxygen, or purely the lack of oxygen. Interesting coincidence though.

Yob said:
Yeah Yob. Have read lots about it happening. I really don't know why that would be though. I often thought about storage conditions as being a possible suspect, but then I think most places that are likely to be storing this stuff would know how to store it in ideal conditions. It seems doubtful that would be an issue.

To stack the odds against the yeast, I just pulled 4 packs from that batch on Sunday Night and pitched them dry into a 46 L batch of un-aerated American Pale Ale with 1.058 gravity - Pitched at 22 deg C at 7.35pm and Fridge ambient set at 16 Deg C at 6.00pm Monday night, there's a solid 5cm Krausen on top and it's going nuts, had dropped to 1.050 in <24 hrs. This morning (Wednesday) it was at 1.042.

Ordinarily, I'd rehydrate the yeast and pitch into a well aerated wort, but it was just to see how sluggish it would be. :blink:

Martin

I've got a couple of packs of that batch, and just had a brew stall at 1.020.
It did the usual lag thing, then fired up on day 3, took it from 1.053 to 1.020 in a few days then stopped.
At a steady 19 degrees.
I've used BRY-97 before with good results, always the lag, but never a stall.
I've just transferred the lot onto the US-05 yeast cake of another brew and fermentation has kicked back in.
Fingers crossed, but I think I'll stick with US-05 or try the Mangrove Jacks Craft yeast for APA's in future.

HBHB said:

I threw a couple into a Centennial Hopped AIPA with an OG of 1.064 and it chewed down to 1.010 in 6 days. Was no signs of Krausen after 36 hrs and didn't get back to it until day 3 again.
2 packs rehydrated and pitched at 22 Deg C fridge set to 18 Deg C.
whats the number the issue is with.
is it the above mentioned one.

Mine just stalled too for maybe 3 days. I was all like "yeah this is why I usually use liquid yeast".

barls said:
whats the number the issue is with.
is it the above mentioned one.
Correct.

My understanding is that the recall has nothing to do with stalling, but some randon longer than usual lag times.

Same batch as HBHB, rehydrated 2 packs (to be sure, to be sure after reading this thread) and pitched both into a 1.050 SNPA clone.
Into the brew fridge at 18 degrees.
Checked in on it this morning, about 40 hours later. Kräusen is well on its way.

HBHB said:
Correct.

My understanding is that the recall has nothing to do with stalling, but some randon longer than usual lag times.
is it a mandatory recall or optional recall?

Mandatory

Ed. More damage control but the decision was made to destroy the entire batch.. More a case of a few bad eggs on the supply chain as I understand it, generally speaking, from a trusted source you 'should' have little issue.. But you know.. Should is a big word in brewing terms

Latest posts

Back