curious yeast starter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneEye

Reaction score
Just a question to see if any of you lads have had a similar experience with a yeast starter.

I'm planning a big brew (~1.095) and according to Mr. Malty that will require a 3.5L starter using a stir plate. I only have a 2L flask so I went for the 2 step approach. First time doing so.

I made a ~1750ml starter on Sunday and let it spin on the stirplate for a day and a half before chilling it down, decanting and adding ~1750ml of fresh wort today.

Now the first step of this starter showed no signs of a visible fermentation and that's fair enough, I've had that before and it's my first time using this yeast (Whitbread 1099) so didn't think anything of it. Had a nice thick layer of yeast after chilling it so there was some work done. Already today after only being on the stir plate for a few hours the krausen has been and gone, it snuck a fair way up the flask by the look of it too!

Any explanation for the drastically difference in how the 'steps' went about their business. I'm not worried at all, just curious! Is it just the larger yeast count to blame?

Latest posts

Back