Cub's New Beer - Vb Original Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captain_booze

Reaction score
hope this wasnt; brought up in another thread although i couldn't find anything on it in a search of AHB.

was just reading in BRW about CUB's new beer to be called, victoria bitter original ale. apparantly its to be a 'premium priced' version of VB. no advertising only in-pub promotions.

maybe its just me, but why are they bothering?

anyone tried this? I haven't seen it in the stores but have heard of others seening it.

They would bother because there is a hell of a lot of VB drinkers out there who love the crownies as a special ocasion, this way they can have their normal and premium VB

i hear that this brew will be using real hops and 100% malt but i will wait and see

I think the big question is, is it going to be an ale or a lager? we already know its going to be shit. I think its a pretty strange idea having VB lager and VB ale.

Edit:

Well i might have to swollow my words here, here is the only review of VB orig. ale off ratebeer. Sounds like it might be worth a try....

375ml Stubby. Packaging looked ok, at first you may think it is in a redback bottle. Reddy amber body with a white frothy head. Lacing all the way down the glass. Hops upfront on the nose then some malt. Some bitterness at the start of the taste, a little bit watery in the middle, and then finishing a touch sweet, no big flavours or any complexity but nothing really offensive either. Maybe drink it nice and cold that way it may taste better.

a review from beeradvocate.com

"as stated on the label, this is darker than your usual macro lager. actually, an attractive, very clear copper color. forms a 1cm not quite white head of fine bubbles. head retention is below par.

serious lack of aroma hops in this. cant say much more than that.

well, the darker malts give this slightly more flavor than the regular, though not original, VB. which is sad as this hasnt got much flavor to speak of. some tart bitterness at first.

mouthfeel is really light. i suppose to make it "easier drinking" and all. fells like its been fermented and filtered to within an inch of its life. obviously though, what was i thinking.

other aspects of this beer? the packaging?a rip off of cascade first harvest cardboad six pack holder. the label is like a lame attempt at a christmas seasonal. and the bottle is a redback look-a-like."

sluggerdog said:
anyone tried this? I haven't seen it in the stores but have heard of others seening it.

I believe ATM it is only avaiable in select restaurants. It won't be avail in bottle shops for a while yet.
Linz had a great article on the details a few weeks back.
Maybe he can dig it up.

Beers,
Doc

i saw an ad in the lansdowne for 'new' vb, where the bottle looked like a redback. i thought it was vb repackaged & ignored it. it probably has the same relationship as fosters to crownies. is it actually 375 or maybe 345 ? i guess those marketing people have to occasionally come up with a new angle for the same old swill.

<threadjacking/retorical q> i noticed that coopers on tap is growing a lot. surely the real question is why dont cub/ln brew a cooopers clone beer & try to squeeze them out ? is marketing the same old swill easier/cheaper than trying ANYTHING else ?

I am also suprised that CUB or tooheys aren't having a crack at coopers, as a uni student, I've noticed (compared to the last couple of year, very few students buy slabs of VB or Draught, instead pay the extra $5 for a slab of pale/sparkling/stout. At a recent house party, nearly everyone there (including chicks) were drinking coopers of some sort. My local (naughtons hotel) always seems to be short in supply of coopers slabs.

Must have been that pale ale hat craze B) or the 6.3% a.vol in the stout :beer:

yes, the usual market hype. on the positive, those bottles when empty, collected from your local restuarant etc, are as useful as a stolen empty keg. the glass is thicker than most, just like your average beer drinker.
cheers

I was at a bottle shop today, purchasing a beer style that I am yet to make myself.

Anyway, the propietor gave me some beer glasses (330 ml Kozel Dark), and said he might have a VB ale for me next time I visit.

Oh yeah, and he returned the bottle which previously contained my Weizen, which he enjoyed.

Seth :D

I have tried the VB original ale and it is very nice.
It actually tastes very similar to my attempts to clone Coopers pale ale.
At a guess i would say that it uses JW trad malt, a light crystal with lots of POR. a flameout addition is definetely there, it has a good POR flavour as well as the bitterness.
I am nearly 100% sure they are using and ESB yeast. I reckon its WLP002.

I recently attempted a coopers clone using WLP002 and its pretty much spot on.
From memory i think i used 4kg JW trad ale, 200g wheat and 50g caramunich 1. mashed at 64 degrees. POR for bittering 10g, 10g at 15mins and 10g at flameout.

dont be like i was and knock this beert because its branded as VB, for once i think CUB got it right.

sounds like i need to get a 6pack of vb ale & check it out myself. thou ~$10 for a sixpack is a bit rich ....

I wonder, as optomistic as one can be half-tanked at 1am, if the "VB Ale" isn't at least ~partly~ inspired by a recipe of some way-back VB. Maybe it'll have some credence as a real beer. I mean, CUB would have to be aware of the craft- and boutique- beer movement in the US and would be manouvring to take a chunk of market share and/or credence when the wave inevitably hits our shores.

voota said:
I am also suprised that CUB or tooheys aren't having a crack at coopers, as a uni student, I've noticed (compared to the last couple of year, very few students buy slabs of VB or Draught, instead pay the extra $5 for a slab of pale/sparkling/stout. At a recent house party, nearly everyone there (including chicks) were drinking coopers of some sort. My local (naughtons hotel) always seems to be short in supply of coopers slabs.

Must have been that pale ale hat craze B) or the 6.3% a.vol in the stout :beer:
[post="60083"][/post]​

yeh im at Melb Uni too and i notice round uni that VB is down but i reckin carlton is still as popular as ever. i agree, coopers is the better option for a little more $

I tried this last night while at a local club.

A shitload better than standard VB, but it's got nothing on a decent HB!!!

Drinkable and not too shabby but at $5 (club prices) wasn't worth it.

I've tried it and I thought it smelled like normal VB (old socks) and tasted pretty much the same too. :(

Nice shaped crown seal stubbies for HB though. :D

manaen said:
I tried this last night while at a local club.

A shitload better than standard VB, but it's got nothing on a decent HB!!!

Drinkable and not too shabby but at $5 (club prices) wasn't worth it.
[post="60362"][/post]​
Agree with Manaen, tried this last night. Though I like the retro label, the bottle is ok not as thick as a Redback bottle but same shape. Apparently I was first sale at my local, let me take the empty home.
An easy drinking ale, balanced but more on the slight malty side. Nothing to challenge the taste buds and I was regretting not getting another Carbine stout (normal choice if available in QLD).

new vb? i am quoting from the advertiser newspaper (adelaide) wed may 11, vic bitter 4.6%. derided as simple for simple folk, cub has hit back. a retro drop based on the bitter ale will turn cynic to sycophant. with lilting(????)barley daubed flavour and bronzed aussie colour, the beer has been given required consideration of heritage. darker in colour than the vb we know, it has a sweet but bitter nut finish.it,s a malt-heavy brew with the edgy stylings of an expensive belgian ale. : it,s as close as you"ll get to the beer your great-grandfather enjoyed'' says Mat Keen, CUB,s GM of general beer. the bottling,packaging and original VB labelling fall into line with aburgoening nostalgia market. even if future beers do turn retrospective,this classic VB is a fitting salute to an iconic history. beerists,follow your intrigue. <_< well this intrigued beerist sez what the f%#k! oh and what is a sycophant! do i need an axe to become one of them. :p

oh, forgot too add a new advertisment in the same paper, pure blonde superior taste,low carb,full strength,double hopped? my guess cub?

Back