Cube hopping with 3 oz and a small bittering FWH addition, then dry ho

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bootlegnjack

Reaction score
Hi I am looking for some feedback on a cube hopping experiement I want to try. I'm hoping to get a nice hoppy beer with no chill which seems like it might be a bit of a juggle. Still a new brewer and getting my gear together so I'm only set up for BIAB, bottling and no chill at the moment. I'm thinking of just going hard out with an experimental (for me) cube hopped brew for the first one. I like them hoppy but am reading that its hard to get a good fresh hop flavour and aroma sometimes from cube hopping.. or at least its seems that a few guys try it, its too bitter or hops not fresh and they give it away.

What I'm thinking is taking an idea I saw from a guy on you tube (offtap) who said his mate did a cube hopped experiment with a small bittering addition then did 3oz mosaic in the cube and that's all the hops he did. The feedback from drinking it was that his mate said he would forego the small bittering addition next time as it was too bitter for him and just go with the 3oz in the cube. Old mate who's video it was said it was a great beer but he would have also liked a dry hop addition as well so I'm thinking of doing just that. Small FWH addition (5g), 3oz in the cube when its cooled slightly ..say 90 C so hopefuly its not over bittered and then dry hop with another 3oz, if its not bitter enough I have some hop extract I can use.

Anyone got feedback on cube hopping with a few ounces like this?

I'm trying to keep it simple but if its going to taste better doing it another way I will probably try this out and if its not what I'm after I'll try a small boil or french press addition instead. Cheers.

I recently did a mini boil with hops and added to a cube with only bittering hops. Turned out great the hops I used where 14%AA

Back