Cube from 2011 pitched today

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Exactly 18 months ago RdeVjun and I did a Russian Imperial Stout and it's been in a cube ever since, used as a door stop, hidden under a desk, travelled from Bribie Island to Old Bar Beach in the removalist truck, been through 2 summers in 2 garages.

Finally got round to pitching today as it's now ambient for brewing in my garage (21° which is perfect for the style and yeast)

Poor sad arse cube, gave it a wash down and a Starsan. Hey the thing's got a tap, forgot about that - useful to do a "single drop" to aerate it. Pitched with a bottle of Wyeast Irish Ale 1084 from a previous brew.

RIS sad cube.jpg

RIS clean cube.jpg

The aroma was lovely, filling the garage as if it was fresh out of the kettle. I had a taste and it's delicious. Might try a bottle at Christmas :super: and I'll certainly be sending RdeV a few.
RIS transfer.jpg

RIS pitched.jpg

**********************************************************************************
Russian Imperial Stout

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 22.0
Total Grain (kg): 9.475
Total Hops (g): 130.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.101 (°P): 24.0
Final Gravity (FG): 1.024 (°P): 6.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 10.14 %
Colour (SRM): 54.7 (EBC): 107.7
Bitterness (IBU): 79.2 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 120

Grain Bill
----------------
6.500 kg Pale Malt Golden Promise (68.6%)
0.600 kg Pale Malt Oakey (6.33%)
0.500 kg Choc Chit JW (5.28%)
0.400 kg Amber Malt (4.22%)
0.375 kg Brown Sugar, Light (3.96%)
0.300 kg Black Roasted Barley (3.17%)
0.300 kg Carafa II malt (3.17%)
0.300 kg Flaked Barley (3.17%)
0.200 kg Crystal Heritage Simpsons (2.11%)

Hop Bill
----------------
40.0 g Magnum Pellet (12.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.8 g/L)
30.0 g Magnum Pellet (12.5% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil) (1.4 g/L)
30.0 g Cascade Pellet (7.8% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (1.4 g/L)
30.0 g Cascade Pellet (7.8% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (1.4 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 21°C with Wyeast 1084 - Irish Ale

Notes
----------------
BIAB for initial Mash then sparged in lauter tun. Two hour boil.

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Nice. I've often wondered what the wort would be like after extended periods in the cube. I've kept one for around 4 months, and it came out nicely. It was a choccy porter.

I have a dark strong that was brewed on 21-08-2010, "pre-aged" in the cube until late last year when I finally got around to pitching it. Tastes pretty good to me and went well in a competition.

Kinda knocks the "no chill cubes let oxygen in through the sides and also kill you with botulism" anti-nochill brigade we used to get on the forum.

Bribie G said:
Exactly 18 months ago RdeVjun and I did a Russian Imperial Stout and it's been in a cube ever since, used as a door stop, hidden under a desk, travelled from Bribie Island to Old Bar Beach in the removalist truck, been through 2 summers in 2 garages...
Don't do it Bribie!! Think of all the oxidation and botuli.....

Vitalstatistix said:
I have a dark strong that was brewed on 21-08-2010, "pre-aged" in the cube until late last year when I finally got around to pitching it. Tastes pretty good to me and went well in a competition.
I stand corrected...

Cubes FTW :beerbang:

Bribie G said:
Kinda knocks the "no chill cubes let oxygen in through the sides and also kill you with botulism" anti-nochill brigade we used to get on the forum.
Botulism spores will not cause spontaneous fermentation so the Jury is out until you drink it Bribie :p what's even more amazing is the tap stayed on through all that moving.
Although good on you for pushing the boundaries, hope it tastes great.

I'm keen for the tasting results.
I reckon it'll be a ripper........................ :beerbang:

Took Andrew's advice and put a plug back in when I sanitised the cube :p

Awesome. I guess you won't know 100% that oxygen hasn't permiated the cube until you taste test the aged/finished beer, but suffice to say cubing seems acceptable in terms of sanitation. Guess its a bit like preserving - sterilise receiving vessel and add contents boiling hot and allow heat shrinkage to create a vacuum seal.

iralosavic said:
Awesome. I guess you won't know 100% that oxygen hasn't permiated the cube until you taste test the aged/finished beer
What would that be considered as anyway, late hot side aeration? And what (bad) effect would that have if it's only oxygen that's coming through into the cube?

That would be the no-chill-slow-aeration method Florian :blink: .
If any oxygen did get through it could possibly cause the contents to become stale perhaps? Only one way to tell, keeps us posted on the taste results please Bribie.

Wouldn't the cube lose some of it's "sucked in" if it was permeable to air?

Back