Cube Crisis - The Great Mix Up!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cortez The Killer

HeCameDancingAcrossTheWater
Reaction score
Had the good fortune of being able to brew two weekends in a row

The first weekend I made a Kolsch and Belgian Wit
The second a California Common and a Cream Ale

Good luck was on my side - both brew days went smoothly

So I put the Kolsch on to ferment last week and that's going great

Now the problem arose last night when I went to collect the Belgian Wit

Staring at me were 3 identical cubes - all being just about the same colour

And my swiss cheese mind doesn't remember which is which

Its gonna be interesting when I go to whack the Wit in the fermenter - with any luck I'll be able to smell the Corriander + Orange - if not I'm up the creek!

Anyone else had any cube mix ups

In future I'll be labelling things - my memory ain't what it used to be

Cheers

Had the good fortune of being able to brew two weekends in a row

The first weekend I made a Kolsch and Belgian Wit
The second a California Common and a Cream Ale

Good luck was on my side - both brew days went smoothly

So I put the Kolsch on to ferment last week and that's going great

Now the problem arose last night when I went to collect the Belgian Wit

Staring at me were 3 identical cubes - all being just about the same colour

And my swiss cheese mind doesn't remember which is which

Its gonna be interesting when I go to whack the Wit in the fermenter - with any luck I'll be able to smell the Corriander + Orange - if not I'm up the creek!

Anyone else had any cube mix ups

In future I'll be labelling things - my memory ain't what it used to be

Cheers

Too young for dementia .. :icon_drunk:

Well the Cal Common, shouldn't be too difficult to pick, which leaves the Wit and the cream ale, only smell would probably only pick them apart.

Good luck, :beer:

BB

Make sure you have both yeasts ready, just in case. You might have to borrow a fermenter or something, eh?

Cortez

I could be drawing a long bow but if its a Wit that had loads of unmalted or flaked wheat the right cube should have a lot more break and such sitting on or congregating around the bottom of the cube.

I find cubes of CAP have a similar look too.

Edit: I just realised the other cube is a cream ale which probably has a load of non malted adjunct break on the bottom too. Maybe flip a coin?

Warren -

:blink: :excl: G'day guys,
Ok, firstly this is my first time posting. I was using the Grumpy's forum before they stopped it.
I just had to ask the question, what is a cube?
I've read a bit through this forum past and present posts. From what I can gather, it is something you rack to to store/lager your beer.
Is it a totally sealed container? I have a new 30L fermenter with no air lock hole that I was going to use for a lager i have going at the moment. Last time I put another fermenter with airlock in fridge, but, the airlock kept running dry due to the drying effect of the fridge.

Well, that's it,
Cheers,
Bucko.

:blink: :excl: G'day guys,
Ok, firstly this is my first time posting. I was using the Grumpy's forum before they stopped it.
I just had to ask the question, what is a cube?
I've read a bit through this forum past and present posts. From what I can gather, it is something you rack to to store/lager your beer.
Is it a totally sealed container? I have a new 30L fermenter with no air lock hole that I was going to use for a lager i have going at the moment. Last time I put another fermenter with airlock in fridge, but, the airlock kept running dry due to the drying effect of the fridge.

Well, that's it,
Cheers,
Bucko.
Welcome to the forum Bucko.

Cube: A cube-shaped, food-grade plastic container used to store homebrew in, usually for secondary fermentation or lagering/cold conditioning. Same thing you put your drinking water in when you go camping....

You can get them at Bunnings, Rays Outdoors, Aussie Disposals or similar.

They say a picture tells a thousand words. Or something like that at least...

05.jpg

Cube: A cube-shaped, food-grade plastic container used to store homebrew in, usually for secondary fermentation or lagering/cold conditioning. Same thing you put your drinking water in when you go camping....

Except Cortez above uses cubes for no-chilling AG brews. If they were conditioned beers, a taste would tell which is which. Cortez'z pickle is that once you open a cube of hot-packed unfermented wort, you need to add yeast pronto.

You could also use the Craphaus identification system of a $2 packet of Go Lo coloured cable ties. Just wrap one around your handle. :p

I normally stick these on my kegs to list what beers are what.

Warren -

I do all my primary's in those blue slimline cubes as well without any probs. That means I can fit two in my mashmastered fridge at once. Theyre about $18 each at Kmart and clean them out by soaking napisan and hot water in them overnight. Been doing it for 5 years and have never had any dramas.

Crisis averted!

Call me Sherlock Holmes!

Last night I remembered that I took pictures of the brew day - http://hyperfox.info/webalbum03/finalprodu...lovernight.html

Including a picture of a cooling cube - which happened to be the belgian wit!!!

After some forensic work / a police lineup / expert consultations / the use of a clairvoyant / and some clever reconstructions - I was able to identify the correct cube!

Sweet!

Cheers

Edit: 999th Post!

Crisis averted!

Call me Sherlock Holmes!

Last night I remembered that I took pictures of the brew day - http://hyperfox.info/webalbum03/finalprodu...lovernight.html

After some forensic work / a police lineup / expert consultations / the use of a clairvoyant / and some clever reconstructions - I was able to identify the correct cube!

Sweet!

Cheers

Excellent detective work mate!!. A new CSI show in the wings maybe?? CSI brewhouse???. I'd watch that.

Excellent detective work mate!!. A new CSI show in the wings maybe?? CSI brewhouse???. I'd watch that.

Lol I wonder how theyd fluff out the story of the mixed up cubes? :p

:beer:
Thanks guys.
Kind of thought it was something like that.
Just another question. If you are going to use a cube for lagering, do you fit an airlock, or do you seal it up air tight?
Plus, i read somewhere about the less head space the better. Is this true?
Cheers again.
Bucko.

:beer:
Thanks guys.
Kind of thought it was something like that.
Just another question. If you are going to use a cube for lagering, do you fit an airlock, or do you seal it up air tight?
Plus, i read somewhere about the less head space the better. Is this true?
Cheers again.
Bucko.
Sealed up nice and tight. you can release the pressure by opening a little if needed .

Crisis averted!

Call me Sherlock Holmes!

Sweet!

Cheers

:icon_offtopic: And not sorry.
In the above photo [link] there seems to be a fair bit of air in the cube <_< when I seal mine there is bugger all if any air, as I use large clamps and a couple of boards to squeeze all the air out [thanks Doc I think it was for the idea].

Edit: Typo

Latest posts

Back