Cub-cascade Kits

• Thread starter Jovial_Monk
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jovial_Monk

Alrighty!

I Just took my delivery of the new CUB kits: Porter, Pale Ale, Lager and Draught.

The kits look stunning, and I am selling them for $14 untill next Fri. So come in now, have a beer to celebrate my birthday and have a look at the kits. My regular price will be $14.75.

If the contents make a beer as stunning as the outside of the cans they will make brilliant beers!

And, it is worth looking at the kits just for the names they put on them!

Jovial Monk

yeah, id love to see a pic, my local is getting them in early next week

Please let me know what the Porter is like. I am real keen on the JS Porter at the mo, and my hbs bloke reckonshe has got a great copy.

Hmmmmm I can't find out anything about them in 30 minutes of web surfing.

I will take them home and take some digiatal piccies to post here
And I will brew up one of the Porter kits, with a simple extract/dextrose mix to the taste of the kit comes through. I am trying to generate interest in porters in the shop so this kit could be handy in that.

They are certainly flying out the door today!

Jovial Monk

How did the Porter come out? and what else do u add to the 1.7kg kit?

i made the lager, with 1kg of light liquid malt. And im not a huge fan.

Some of my other mates like it, but i personally think it has a very over powering flavour, and i prefer my lager to be easy drinking.

Probably wont do another for awhile

Hi all
I brewed their porter kit to see how it was. I am going to make a statement here to say that it was the worst kit I have brewed in 10 years. I brew a kit beer now and again for my every day drinking (problem).
The beer was like going back to the old kit days. If they are producing their own malt extract they have a long way to go. The amazing thing is their supply a lager yeast with the kits. The supermaket brewer in summer will have a nice selection of really bad beer for their summer BBQ.
Cheers
Ray

Basically the same story we keep hearing about these kits Ray. We trialed them in one store ... they wont make it to the rest.

Disappointing really

Shawn :(

Hi Shawn

They have two big problems:

1. The malt extract is not Coopers or others, so it must be their own which must have gone through a very ordinary quality test control.

2. I really do not understand why they are putting a lager yeast under the cap. The summer brewing for most kit brewers with this yeast would make some very nasty beers.

When they tested these kits, did they think thats what the average Australian kit brewer makes.............makes me wonder.

Cheers
Ray

Let me add another negative vote. I did the Cascade spicy ghost, can only, made up to 12 l. It was actually two big yeast starters. I used the spicy ghost because I wanted a cheap source of fresh bland extract for the starters. Instead of tipping out the beer when I needed the yeast cake I mixed 6l brewed with 1056 with 6 l brewed with 1728, cold conditioned it a couple of weeks, and bottled.

Tasted one tonight, and I probably shouldn't have bottled it. Its not nasty, I'm not getting bad extract flavours. But it produces an average to poor head and its very bland, except for a detectable but nasty high alpha hop bitterness aftertaste. How you would detect any spicy flavour if made up to 22 l with dextrose I have no idea.

Not sounding too good for the Cascade IPA I tried :angry:

The Spicy Ghost I've got sitting in a secondary is tasting fairly yeasty at the moment, and I don't hold much hope for it to improve. Fermented for two weeks at 14-16

fortunately with over 100kg of grain at my feet i have absolutely no intention of going back to kits and its good to read of reviews for those breweries who seem to think they are missing out on a huge market and thus put new kits out on the market.
why they bother at times is beyond me especially as the reviews of the cascade product shows.
master brewers in deed :(
makes ya wonder where they get there brewers ticket.

cheers
big d

Hmm, I bought the pale ale today, going to put it on tomorrow, hopefully wont be too bad. Finger crossed.

hmmm. doesnt sound good. was thinking of doing a quick kit to revive myself from the stresses of extract. might stick with the coopers sparkling (which i was very happy with the first time) instead of the cascade IV pale ale.
joe

Back