Crystal Malt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wardy

Reaction score
Hi everyone! i am still pretty new to this, so i was just after some opinions...

i am about to brew another IPA, but this time wanted to experiment with some crystal malt. I have 500 grams and was wondering how much I should use?

The book i have says i should steep this in the boiling wort for 10 min once the heat is turned off? will that do the trick?

cheers

Wardy,
Assuming you intend to brew about 23L of IPA and you have pale crystal malt (approx 40EBC or less) then you could toss in about 150g of it into a pot of cold water - bring it to 70C and let it steep in a grain bag like you would a bloody big cup of tea for 20 to 30 mins. Move it around gently in the water (about 2 - 3 litres would be fine) and make sure that all the grains are well soaked. DON'T BOIL! You only need to steep the grains in hot water, not boiling water.

After steeping has concluded, remove and gently rinse - don't squeeze the grain bag or you risk extracting harsh tannins into the wort. Then use this liquor as your boil - you get better extraction efficiency using steeping grains on their own in water, rather than adding them to the boil.

I used to use grain bags but found them a PITA so I just steep the grain in the water and strain out through a colander with some muslin lining the strainer - the XTAL grains will add body and flavour to the IPA - but I would not use too much grains as they may steal the characteristics of the IPA - especially if you are doing a kit and kilo IPA.

Cheers,
TL

Wardy

Depends on the type of beer you are brewing. I use Xtal, choc and roast barley alot as adjuncts for my killkenny, dark ales and stouts.

I usually steep them overnight in cold water. Fill the pot up. I have strained/sieved this straight into the fermenter - no boiling - with great results.

If i am making a stout and doing a boil of LME and hops etc...i will add the grain steeped wort to the boiler.

It is your call. let me know what beer style you are making and i might be able to be more helpfull.

GMK said:
Wardy

Depends on the type of beer you are brewing. I use Xtal, choc and roast barley alot as adjuncts for my killkenny, dark ales and stouts.

I usually steep them overnight in cold water. Fill the pot up. I have strained/sieved this straight into the fermenter - no boiling - with great results.

If i am making a stout and doing a boil of LME and hops etc...i will add the grain steeped wort to the boiler.

It is your call. let me know what beer style you are making and i might be able to be more helpfull.
GMK, read wardy's original post. He is brewing an IPA!!!

Must be Friday ;)

TDA

OK TDA... I think i got it wrong agaian,....TDA.

My IPA Kit recipe:

Steep 100gms of xtal over night in 5 ltrs of water.
Strain into saucepan with 1.5kg of LME. Add 30gms of POR Hop Pellets. Rolling Boil for 20mins.
Optional
15gms of Northern Brewer for last 10mins

Pour into fermenter with can of Coopers IPA. Add cold water to 20ltrs.Ferment with 1084 Irish Ale Yeast for 1 week.
Rack to secondary for 2 weeks dry hopping with 25gms of EKG.

If you want an APA then substite Pearle for the Northern Brewer hops and Cascade for the EKG.

Hope this helps.

BrocorrectedagainbyTDAandhavingaFM - FridayMoment.

GMK, thanks that looks like a great recipe, i will give it a go next weekend. Especially interested to try your hop additions!!

If you are steeping grains overnight and not boiling the wort

you are stupid and lazy! That wort will likely be full of bugs!

Jovial Monk
PS OK a bit strong language, but really!

Jovial_Monk said:
If you are steeping grains overnight and not boiling the wort

you are stupid and lazy! That wort will likely be full of bugs!

Jovial Monk
PS OK a bit strong language, but really!
Jm

The wort from the steeped grains are boiled in the recipee that i posted...

I boil for 20mins

How is my wort full of bugs when it is sealed and then boiled?

Anyway,

The proof is the tasting....no complaints so far.

Note:

it is uncannily close to JS IPA.....

GMK said:
That is what I was talking about

if I got it wrong, then good!

JM

your not to good on the constructive critisism are you JM!

Latest posts

Back