Crystal Malt Substitution For Ldm

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASYLUM_SPIRIT

Reaction score
Hey

I'm about to do a Cooper Pale Ale, I got the tin plus I have a packet of Dextrose or a packet of 75% Dextrose & 25% Corn Syrup. Not sure which packet to use, any advice?

I don't have any LDM but what I do have is about 1kg of Cystal Malt Grain.

I was going to add some fresh grains in addition with LDM, but I don't have any LDM.
I want to put down a batch today and I was wonderng if I could substitute Crystal Malt for LDM and if so how much should I put in to get a really nice fresh flavoured beer.

I also have 25g Golding hop pellets I was planning to dry hop. Do I use the full 25g?

Thanks in advance for the help.

The 75% dextrose / 25% corn syrup (maltrose) would give slightly more body than using dextrose alone.

The crystal grain is not a substitue for LDM, but you can use aroud 200 - 250g to add a bit of malt sweetness to the beer. It needs to be cracked and steeped then the resulting liquor boiled before adding to the fermenter with the can etc. If you're not sure how to do this just ask.

The hops can be added dry to the fermenter after a few days and then left in for 4 - 5 days, no more than a week. Alternativey you could add them to the boiled liquor from the crystal for 5 - 10 minutes (for a touch more bitterness) or as you turn off the heat, then leave them in the pot as it cools. 25g wouldn't be too much if you want a good hoppy taste, but I've not used Goldings in such a way so I couldn't say how they'll go with the Coopers Pale Ale - my guess is quite well.

The 75% dextrose / 25% corn syrup (maltrose) would give slightly more body than using dextrose alone.

The crystal grain is not a substitue for LDM, but you can use aroud 200 - 250g to add a bit of malt sweetness to the beer. It needs to be cracked and steeped then the resulting liquor boiled before adding to the fermenter with the can etc. If you're not sure how to do this just ask.

The hops can be added dry to the fermenter after a few days and then left in for 4 - 5 days, no more than a week. Alternativey you could add them to the boiled liquor from the crystal for 5 - 10 minutes (for a touch more bitterness) or as you turn off the heat, then leave them in the pot as it cools. 25g wouldn't be too much if you want a good hoppy taste, but I've not used Goldings in such a way so I couldn't say how they'll go with the Coopers Pale Ale - my guess is quite well.

Thanks for the info mate.

I still want to steep some grains in my brew regardless, but would you reckon I should still buy some LDM, or just use the dextrose/corn syrup and grains?

I would use LDM over dextrose or a mix any day.

Steeping some crystal malt would certainly improve the brew, but don't be tempted to over do it or the beer will be too sweet. 250g in 1 kit plus a kilo of LDM / dextrose would be plenty.

I would use LDM over dextrose or a mix any day.

Steeping some crystal malt would certainly improve the brew, but don't be tempted to over do it or the beer will be too sweet. 250g in 1 kit plus a kilo of LDM / dextrose would be plenty.

Thanks mate, thats cleared things up for me

Latest posts

Back