Crystal Malt For Yeast Starter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joolz

Reaction score
Hi,

I was going to make a yeast starter in preparation for tomorrow but have just run realised I'm out of DME. The only thing malty I could find in my supplies box was some crystal malt... Could I use this to make a starter?

Thanks,

Joolz

I have a feeling that you could. The starch in crystal malt should all be converted to sugar during malting.

You may have to filter the stuff out after you extract the sugar, though.

I'd be interested to know how you get on, if you decide to try it.

Never tried it but the sugars from xtal malt are a bit less fermentable than other malt sugars so it may not be the best medium for growing up a starter in.

1 day is not very long to grow a starter :eek:

I'm going to say no on this one. I think Crystal mainly contributes sweetness to your beer because of the large % of unfermentable sugars. Better off getting some DME or liquid malt extract. If you did have some pale malt you could do a little mash then boil it but it's a bit of messing around.

Cheers, Justin

Justin said:
I'm going to say no on this one. I think Crystal mainly contributes sweetness to your beer because of the large % of unfermentable sugars. Better off getting some DME or liquid malt extract. If you did have some pale malt you could do a little mash then boil it but it's a bit of messing around.

Cheers, Justin
[post="75948"][/post]​
You could try a bit of crystal malt combined with a bit of sucrose (or better still golden syrup).

1 day is not long for a liquid yeast starter.

Soooooo..., if U R talking dry yeast, the best thing is rehydrate with boiled and cooled water. U can add some sugar (which is fermentable, apparently) to your starter, and then boil/cool.

It may too late this time, but next time, perhaps?

Most dry yeast are good on their own. Saf instructions that came with my S-33 Belgian ale yeast state to sprinkle evenly on top of the wort, and leave for 1/2 hour before stirring in and aeration. Worked well for me.

Uncle Seth out :p

Thanks for your replies guys.

I went ahead and did it anyway. I now realise it probably wasn't a very good idea since I have now found out crystal malt is rich in mostly non fermentable sugars (dextrins). I also added some sucrose and (boiled) baker's yeast to the starter "wort".

I am pleased to say that despite all my wrong-doings the starter is bubbling along nicely tonight so I will be pitching it anyway.

That's one thing I like about beer brewing: it is relatively forgiving... :)

Back