Crystal Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big d

Hopaholic
Reaction score
doing my usual search for beer stuff on the web and came across another recipe im keen on trying sometime.its called a rogues brutal bitter clone but requires crystal hops.has anyone come across this variety in oz?
it is a triploid variety grown in oregon developed from the german hallertau aroma hop variety with contributions from cascade,brewers gold and early green.

cheers
big d

Bigd

I think i have bought some from Hopco.
Will check later - if so- might be able to give Batz some to give to you...

We are not quite that close , but give me some anyway :D :D

I bought some from Hopco. I haven't used them yet though, but they smell good. We bought (as a group) a kilo each of Crystal, Vanguard and Challenger @$35 per kilo. Divided up we all ended up with about 200-250g each. I have used the challenger in an all challenger english bitter, I think I like it-no bubbles yet though.

About 2 weeks after we bought them at $35/kg the guy from Hopco advertised all these varieties and more for $25/kg on Craftbrewers-I think he was just having trouble shifting the more obscure varieties. He won't sell less than 1 kilogram lots. Other than that I can't help you out much more. I can give an up date when I use some.

Cheers, JD

I stock Crystal hops (and Vanguard and Santiam and Progress and Galena. . .) The crystal hops have a very fine perfume like character

Jovial Monk

batz..whats a thousand or so kms between northern brewers.just about neighbours :D

thanks jm if i can find your phone number which i think ive stashed somewhere i will give you a buzz and order some stuff.
do you have a printed catalogue by any chance of stuff you carry/sell?

cheers
big d

between you and me, ring Dave Stewart at the 'old' Grumpys store at Somerton. He'll look after you.

He's been good to me, better than the other Grumpys the last year, and now that..........

loyalty calls for me to shop at Goliath's. Ask yourself who has been your best source of help at grumpys.

not yet, but will have a pdf posted to my chariot.net web space 'soon"

The Grumpies partners have spilt up?

Jovial Monk

sounds like it jm

keep all posted when you get the pdf posted

check the grumpys site out jm and everyone else.
all reference to the somerton park store has been wiped along with dave stewards mug shot.now replaced with grumpy thomas
mmmmm

I had a quick talk to Dave just outside his store late yesterday afternoon. Andy has bought him out and he is running Goliath brewing from the Somerton Park store.

JM

Crystal are a Hallertau derivative. So if you've tried those (or many German beers that use Hallertau) you'll have the idea. More info here.

thanks heaps for the link Stuster!

"Very popular in the craft-brewing industry. Viewed as the most pungent of the new triploid Hallertau family of hops."

Pungent?

Big fan of the Hallertau family, so it'll be good to give a try! Anyone used them? Reports on what they are like?

i thought you you bought some ages ago?
I bouhgt some from Ross but haven't tried them yet.

I've done an all crystal ale that turned out pretty nice. I'm not so good on the describing tastes and smells yet but the words in my mind are "sort of flowery". I'll see if I can write more tonight when I have one in front of me

oh, and I believe it's one of (or perhaps the only hop?) the hops in the bridge road brewery aussie ale

Back