Cryo Hops - Discussion Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wasn't really sure where to post this, could have gone in the "what's in the glass" thread or the International Beer Collector thread as it was a gift from Jason at IBC. I asked this one wont be going into the monthly packs (not for retail either) If it was I would be down there tomorrow buying all I could.
Cryo 2 (2).jpg

De Molen never disappoints but this one was a wow take on an IPA or as they call it IPA - ish.
Because Brewman has been supplying Cryo Hops (look for the ones called "LupuLN2"), I thought it only fair to share it with him, so we split this this afternoon, I took notes and rang Jason with a couple of questions, this beer was brewed for a special beer show in Holland that was held in late September.
So its pushing 2&1/2 months old, it has probably settled down a bit from when it was young.
We poured it a little colder than the 7oC recommended, but its a sipper so was well warmed by the end of the glass.
On the nose
Fruity hops up front Simcoe leading, subtle malt some esters.
As it warmed Buckets of hop aroma more of the other hops coming through with a balanced malt, also some quite pronounced Peach and Apricot yeast esters.
On the palate
Hops up front, low bitterness just balancing malt sweetness, complex fruity esters - no faults
After taste is clean and invites another sip
No lingering bitterness, but a mouthful of hop flavours.
If it wasn't for the 9% ABV it could easily be something I could drink a lot of.

De Molen put a lot of good information on the labels.
Cryo 2 (1).jpg

OG 18.4oP or SG 1.0736
Colour 12 EBC - so pale to gold
Bitterness 18 IBU - Sounds ridiculously low but it works
9% ABV - using %ABV = Change / 7.5 we get a change of 67.5 points giving an FG of 73.6-67.5 = 6.1
FG 1.006
Apparent attenuation is a rather startling 91.7%

I rather suspect that the high attenuation very dry for an IPA-ish finish lets them getaway with the low bitterness
The name 21 Grams comes from the weight of hops used in every HL (100L) of beer.
I suspect I'm going to have to have a go at a clone, I know a lot of brewers are going to be thinking 21g/100L that's only like 5g in a standard brew - it is but the beer is as hoppy as hell and it works.
Mark

Mark that is 21g per litre, not per HL. Cryohops are about double the strength of T90 pellets so it equivalent to 42g/L. You'd expect it to be hoppy!

Well that makes a lot more sense!
I couldn't figure out how they were getting that much hop flavour out of so little hops, only off by 100X :)
All the hops must be very late for the IBU's to only be 18.
Cheers Mark

Thanks for sharing the 21 grams Mark.

IPA - ish, spectacular hoppy nose and taste, smooth as silk, and a balance that I found really interesting with the low reported bitterness. Fruity aromas from those Cryo hops and some nice yeast esters too. Clean and crisp, and unlike any other IPA I have had at any strength let alone at 9%.

Has a very Belgian high alcohol but you don't know it feel.

Got better as it warmed. A flawless beer, unique and stunning.

Hope they do this beer again.

Back