Cryo Hops - Discussion Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep I'd send brewman a pm. He'll let you know when the next batch comes in or if someone pulls out and there is a spare.

Yep I'd send brewman a pm. He'll let you know when the next batch comes in or if someone pulls out and there is a spare.

Yeah, I sent him an email. The dude called me a couple of hours later. Wow, talk about customer service! It sounds like this order was so successful, they'll try to bring in more in the near-ish future. He didn't hear of any demand for the di-bittered cryo-hops, so he'll probably just concentrate on the LupeLN2. Hopefully he'll get some more varietals in the next order.

I've got an IPA in the fermenter now that I'm planning to hop with the powder probably on the weekend.. Thinking of going hard since my last experiment with 10g/L of normal pellets in an IPA was delicious, so I'm thinking of going for 5g/L with the powder... still not sure that's the greatest idea though :/

Now that the initial lot of LupuLN2® Citra has been sent out by Brewman to the brewerhood, I'm resurrecting this thread as the Cryo-Hops discussion thread rather than starting a brand new one.

Would mods maybe like to add "Discussion Thread" to the title?

Well ere goes: I was going to do a repeat of my Four Pines Pale Ale tribute that turned out absolutely brilliantly, so I'm altering the recipe to make it more Citra-forward as well as knocking down the red colour a lot.

When opened a packet that arrived half an hour ago, to take a sniff, it was hop heaven so I'll be doing two later additions and keeping the Simcoe as the sole bittering hop in the boil.

4 Hoops Pale Ale 3
American Pale Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 22.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.850
Total Hops (g): 51.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.052 (°P): 12.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.11 %
Colour (SRM): 8.5 (EBC): 16.7
Bitterness (IBU): 35.1 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 74
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
3.500 kg Base Barrett Burston Pilsener (72.16%)
0.450 kg Munich I (9.28%)
0.450 kg Munich II (9.28%)
0.300 kg Wheat Malt (6.19%)
0.150 kg Caraaroma (3.09%)

Hop Bill
----------------
13.0 g Simcoe Pellet (12.2% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)
20.0 g Amarillo Pellet (8.6% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Aroma) (0.9 g/L) - CUBE HOP
8.0 g LupuLN2 Citra Pellet (24% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Aroma) (0.4 g/L) - CUBE HOP
10.0 g LupuLN2 Citra Pellet (24% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (0.5 g/L) - DRY HOP ON PITCHING

Lactic acid / Calcium lactate buffering.

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with WLP090 - San Diego Super Yeast

How did you go subbing for the Citra LupuLN2? I plagiarised this from you a while back but forgot to ask if it actually turned out nice.

Lovely.
Dark velvet mermaids swimming on my tongue and sending waves of musk up the back of my nose with every twitch of their tails.

Or something like that.

Good enough for me - mash is underway!

Alright, I have some of this and the resin.
When to use what?????

Indica, talking to Steve I gather that the resin is more for base bittering.

In my case I've adapted my third incarnation of 4 Pines Pale Ale tribute, the lupulins selection is perfect for this brew, hopefully Amarillo might be in the pipeline as well:

4 Hoops Lupulin
American Pale Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 22.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.950
Total Hops (g): 45.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.053 (°P): 13.1
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.21 %
Colour (SRM): 7.5 (EBC): 14.8
Bitterness (IBU): 44.9 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 74
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
3.000 kg Base Barrett Burston Pale (60.61%)
1.200 kg Weyermann Vienna (24.24%)
0.500 kg Wheat Malt (10.1%)
0.150 kg Melanoidin (3.03%)
0.100 kg Caraaroma (2.02%)

Hop Bill
----------------
10.0 g LupuLN2 Simcoe Pellet (26.9% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil) (0.5 g/L)
15.0 g Amarillo Pellet (8.6% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Cube hop) (0.7 g/L)
5.0 g LupuLN2 Citra Pellet (24% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Cube hop) (0.2 g/L)
15.0 g LupuLN2 Cascade Pellet (12.8% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop on pitching) (0.7 g/L)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with WLP090 - San Diego Super Yeast

mines on the boil as we speak.

ran out of time to get new malt, so I'm running with Simp. GP and Glad Ale 50/50

Cascade at 60, 20 and about to chuck in the Citra (and a dash more Cascade) at 0

wp_ss_20171021_0002.png

SWMBO and her sister grew up in Ultimo round the corner from the old Tooths brewery and used to walk past it on the way to primary school.
She'd forgotten all about brewing till I fired up my first hop boil and she burst into tears. :rolleyes:

mmmm the smell of wort and hops on the boil.

measured 1.047 OG, the citra had a lovely aroma.

Had Murray's Angry Fred at Bitter and Twisted last weekend.

Best beer of the day for me. Was perfect timing as they brought the keg in it flogged down raining, so I just huddled next to the keg under the tent. "seeingstars:

Was an absolutely cracking beer. The beer was a dedication to the original Fred when Shawn Sherlock was there. But These guys seemed to have had a heavy hand on the LupulN, which was not available back when the original was made, so it is extra Angry!

Apparently there is a bit of it around the Sydney pubs, so if you see it get it!

I know they plan to keep using the LupulN, but not sure in what beers.

This is a V2 of the recipe using only resins for bittering and combination of resins/cryo/pellets for wp/dh that I tried 3 weeks ago.

Definitely wouldn't use all cryo/resin for wp additions or dh additions.

Had this strange 'chemical' taste that is fading over time but the beer was extremely pungent when young.

I found I had to change the amounts of Citra as it was way too overpowering, difference between last batch was that this one has 5g less in the whirlpool and 5g less Citra in the dry hop than last batch.

I got to try mu Summer Ale yesterday that was all whirlpool additions of Mosaic Resinate and Citra lupulN2 and then dry hopped with Citra/Mosaic LupulN2. It tastes amazing and certainly no chemical taste. I wouldn't say the flavour is more intense, it is just cleaner and as such the hop varietal character seem more defined. It works really well in this low bitterness style and would work great in a NEIPA.

So… very nice and mellow bitterness, good aroma and hop flavour.

Another taste - solid bitterness. I have not ever really tasted astringency so cannot say if there is any or not. Good beer.

Just had a hop burp.

Recipe Specifications
————————–
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 9.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 50.9 IBUs

Ingredients:
————
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) ( Grain 1 80.0 %
0.50 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC) Grain 2 10.0 %
0.50 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC) Grain 3 10.0 %
10.00 ml Cascade GREEN Resin (CO2 Extra Hop 4 41.0 IBUs
25.00 g Cascade LupuLN2 - Steep/Whirlp Hop 5 9.9 IBUs
25.00 g Cascade LupuLN2 - Dry Hop 0.0 Hop 6 0.0 IBUs

————————————————————————————-

Tasting mine now - very smooth actually for one month, goes well with the cascade.

As usual with my beers needs to clear up a bit, but the taste is there.

WP_20171126_13_12_17_Pro.jpg

Back