Cry Havoc White Labs Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I'm a bit of a tightarse and I figure Im sick of paying for all this lovely S04 and US05 safale yeast. I read up on starters and and Im having problems with temp control at the moment.
So then I discover the signature series white labs charlie papazian "Cry Havoc" yeast.
I'm made up a 1L starter with a view to keeping half of it to create a starter for my next brew and so forth, use half and keep half each time.
From what Ive read this yeast is bonza, can be used for lagers or ales.
I've been maintaining about 17C in the esky the last few weeks but sometimes dips to 15 which would probably stall your average ale yeast.

I'll report back my findings once this brew is in the bottle - about to make up 23L of:
Coopers sparkling
1kg amber LME
500gms dex
500gms wheat DME
20gm cascade pellets at 10mins
10gms galaxy pellets at 5 mins
12gms amarillo teabag dry hopped after primary fermentation finishes (day 3-5)

The brew after may be based on the eurona coopers bav lager/mexican cerv twocan at lager temps and see how the yeast compares down there.

So I'm a bit of a tightarse and I figure Im sick of paying for all this lovely S04 and US05 safale yeast. I read up on starters and and Im having problems with temp control at the moment.
So then I discover the signature series white labs charlie papazian "Cry Havoc" yeast.
I'm made up a 1L starter with a view to keeping half of it to create a starter for my next brew and so forth, use half and keep half each time.
From what Ive read this yeast is bonza, can be used for lagers or ales.
I've been maintaining about 17C in the esky the last few weeks but sometimes dips to 15 which would probably stall your average ale yeast.

I'll report back my findings once this brew is in the bottle - about to make up 23L of:
Coopers sparkling
1kg amber LME
500gms dex
500gms wheat DME
20gm cascade pellets at 10mins
10gms galaxy pellets at 5 mins
12gms amarillo teabag dry hopped after primary fermentation finishes (day 3-5)

The brew after may be based on the eurona coopers bav lager/mexican cerv twocan at lager temps and see how the yeast compares down there.

Have a read of this mate.
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...=45866&st=0

So you are a tight arse and don't want to pay for yeast, but you use amarillo hops in a tea bag?? :huh: :huh:

Awesome thread - thanks so much for the link! Great ideas in there for the thrifty brewer like myself! (must be scottish ancestry somewhere back in the family tree, or just living in sydney...)

Hey. How did the "Cry Havoc" go?

Was thinking about getting some and wanted to see if anyone else had good results with it.

Latest posts

Back