• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Crushed Maize

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
I only need a small amount of crushed maize for a mash recipe this weekend and its too far o go to my local brewshop ,the price of petrol!!!

Is Polenta the same ? how do I use it do I have to boil up first ?then add to the mash .

Is Sweetcorn maize ? could I use some fresh.

Please help Pumpy

Thanks Ray ,

Thats great saved me a long trip

Pumpy

Pumpy.

Polenta needs a cereal mash. I'd probably be dubious about it converting just being added to the mash.

Treat it like a separate decoction. Add it to a pot of water with 25% of its weight in crushed malt. Let it sit at 50c for about 15 mins. Then heat it up to 67c for about 30 mins. Heat to boiling for about 30 mins.

Can be boiled by itself. However heating up with crushed malt helps to liquify the enzymes to a certain degree. You'll be susprised at how little sticks to the pot this way. Plain boiling can get a little messy.

All that stuffing around makes you appreciate flaked maize. :)

Warren -

I know from making polenta that there is a big difference between polenta (the coarse stuff) and instant polenta (fine grained stuff). The instant works straight away while you have to boil the crap out of normal polenta. So I wouldnt be surprised if the instant stuff could be chucked in the mash. But I dont know cos I use TF flaked maize.

Here it goes again, that eerie brewers telepathy.

My next brew is a Leffe Blonde clone, nicked from HBD, that calls for 1lb of instant polenta.
I will probably just add this to the mash, with a handful of rice hulls.
Can anyone see a problem with this?

Vlad,

Personally I wouldn't recommend it. Does your HBS carry flaked maize. Could be substituted with no problem and just chucked into the mash.

Warren -

Oh and boiling poleta spits and farts and if it gets on your skin burns like hot plastic.
gloves are a must

Good point Darren.

Sort of looks like those mud pools in New Zealand. :lol:

I learnt the hard way. :blink:

Warren -

Thanks Warren ,

It may be a bit of messing around but it will save me a hour and half long trip and risk the speed camera up that way .which are highly sensetive

Pumpy

Pumpy,
Health food shops often sell flaked maize if that helps

Yes those speed cameras are sensitive. You have to love and respect your speed camera, tell it how much it means to you, otherwise they will turn out like an ex-wife and make you poor.

Thanks Darren ,

My local heath shop had a powdered version like a flour, I dont think it was flaked .

Only have one health shop around here, we cant be very healthy .

pumpy

Pumpy,

Theres a Go Vita health food store at The Mall. Theres also a GNC store near the Bi-Lo at Macarthur Square

Thanks Linz I will pop over in the morning

Pumpy

Linz ,I ended up getting some whole popping corn from the Asian shop whole I put it through the grain mill and now it looks like Polenta ,Ha !Ha! I gone full circle

Pumpy :blink: :unsure: <_< :huh:

Pumpy,
I have always wondered what fresh corn off the cob would be like! Would be easy to crush and presumably would be the same as popping corn (except fresher).
I suspect that a cereal mash (boiling) would be necessary to expose the starch correctly.

Darren ,
I have found no mention of the use of fresf corn anywhere ,
I will just have to boil the polenta I have found using Polentain the Palmer book .

pumpy

Could you not have use the puffed corn from the health food isle at Coles???

fresh corn is nothing like maize

different varieites of corn for a start and picked at a different stage of development

Fresh corn is chokkas full of simple sugars - fructose etc which why it is very sweet and why we call it 'sweet corn' . Maize is corn which has been allowed to fully develop long chain starches like wheat- it goes hard dry and seed like - and so can used as a flour to make wonderfulk things like corn chips and my personal favourite -corn wafffles - yum - am now drooling and losoing powar of spellings

lou

Back