Crown Urn thermo bypass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Does anyone have a link to the earlier Crown Urn re-wiring threads? I've got an exposed element Crownie that's now 7 years old and has recently been cutting out about half way through the boil. Had a similar problem with my original Birko and a bypass worked fine, just remembering to always have liquid in it when running, which I do anyway.

I've done a search but can't find it, it was to do with modding the original concealed element Crownie... there was a circuit picture somewhere and I need to check if it's the same as the exposed element.

Hi Bribie,

If you take the bottom off and post a pic I can tell you which wire to remove.

It actually probably needs a new thermal cutout switch, but they only seem to last 6 brews or so for me. I went through a few then just bypassed. Burnt wires were still an issue though.

Mark

Thanks guys, that's the thread I was looking at, looks a bit rocket science to me ... I'll take a photo and post, also will compare my wiring with the ones in the thread. It's pretty ancient so hopefully the same.

crown urn wiring.jpg

The metal bracket at the top of the picture is attached to the centre of the urn base, not to the removable cover which is behind it with a green earth wire attached

Looking at the photo on the old thread, looks pretty well identical.

I can't see because of the zip tie. If you cut that and spread the wires you basically bypass the thermal cut out switch that is on the element by removing one set of wires and putting the connection straight to the element.

Send another photo if unsure with the wires spread out.

Bump: I got back to the problem yesterday and fixed it by simply joining the two brown wires from the control box using one of these (rated 20A)
Works a treat and I actually got a better boil than usual, better break and clearer wort.

spade fuse.jpg

From your OP you said you did it for your birko as well - do you remember how you did that?

When I use ~1kg+ of rye it cuts out, which is OK atm because I know to look out for it, but I dont want it to get worse

Sorry, it was done by an electrician on Bribie Island - done in return for a few tallies of HB.

In my case the cutout reset switch had died, the Crown doesn't have one so I have no idea what wiring was involved.

Back