Crown Urn Depth Chart

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twizt1d

Reaction score
hey guys,
i have never really been a fan of getting an accurate volume reading by the sight glass and its a real pain in the ass to mark so i thought id make a chart up
can use it to mark a dip stick or just use a steel ruler
i used the numbers floating around and just dodgied it up in excel (first 6 litres = 78mm every 1 litre after that 11mm) and turned it into an image so you dont need excel to open it
hopefully it helps someone and saves the frustration i had with trying to work out volumes

now to print it out and bang it on the wall next to the urn..

cheers,
tones

urnchart.jpg

Something to note, water (well, fluids in general) expands with temperature, up to boiling point.

I have a similar table for my (non-Crown) urn, with Volume vs Depth at 3 distinct temperatures: 20 C (room temp), 65 C (mash temp) and 100 C (boil temp).

If your initial measurements are taken with room temperature water, you need to include approximately 2% expansion at 65 degrees, and 4% expansion at 100 C. This is a simplification of the model, but works well enough for most homebrewer's needs.

Back