Crown Seal Tool

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrostyOnes

Reaction score
Hi all. New around here so sorry if this has been asked before...

Has anyone seen the fancy looking crown seal tool (there's probably a proper name for them) that comes with the Tooheys Microbrew kit (sold at Kmart around Melb at least) ? It's a fancy looking red plastic contraption that looks like it works the opposite to those nice corkscrews that grab the neck of the bottle. ie. it grabs the bottle and uses leverage to press the crown on.

Anyone tried them?

I'm trying to decide if the Tooheys kit is worth buying over the Coopers one just becasue it has this applicator in it. ie worse beer/ better tool equation.

Cheers

Buy the look on their website, looks like a standard 2 handed capper, very good to use, but I won't try and sway you one way or the other

welcome to brewing!..

I think I know the capper you describe, if it is the one im thinking of I have one, it has two handles and you pull them down and the bottle gets pulled up and capped, if that's the one, just be careful with capping twist tops, it rips the heads off cause the necks are weak... it cost me $2 at a garage sale..

as for cappers, hit garage sales, there are always people selling them!, buy a full kit form garage sales, I have about 5 kits with all stuff included, I think the most I paid was $10... and they normally throw in a heap ob bottles :p .. all good for spares...

If you mean a butterfly capper, I have a purple coopers one but it's a pain in the ass as if you don't line the capper up on the right angle the caps sometimes don't go on right. I prefer my bench capper.

Gotta agree with Kai.

Bench Capper is the only way to go....

Thanks guys, sounds like the old KISS principle is the go. They nearly had me with the fancy plastic gadget but I reckon I'll get my hands on a bench capper. A few of those twist tops are always going to find their way into the crate and I don't want to lose a bottle due to a minor coordination error brought on by a bit of sampling during bottling. :eek:

I'll check out a garage sale or two on the weekend an see whats available.

Cheers
:D

Of all the various bits and pieces we have accumulated, the two most useful have been the squirty bottle washer/draining tree apparatus, and the mighty Super Automatica bench capper.
Make the drudge work end of things a lot easier & quicker, leave more time for drinking & planning the next brew.

Just get grolsch bottles. And then kegs. Then you dont have to stuff around with capping.

cheers
johnno

Back