Crown Concealed element boil dry

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyt

Reaction score
Hey all,

Have a Crown 40 L concealed element urn. After half a dozen Biabs, no problems with boil etc. Yesterday it did the dry boil cut off thingo which I have read about on here. I scraped the element with my ss spoon and managed to get it going again. Ideally i don't want to be watching it boil for an hour, being on standby with a spoon!

I thought about maybe applying a light layer of silicone spray ( with finger, not spraying in there) on plate to possibly discourage the wort from sticking to it........silicone spray is inflammable....... One would think the chances of anything happening after being diluted with 35L of liquid would be very low? And also concerned about it possibly affecting head formation/retention, again dilution rates high??

Appreciate any thoughts

Cheers

Have a taste of your silicone spray.

Is that how you want your beer tasting?

When i was biabing, I used to clean the element with a drill mounted wire wheel prior to each brew.

I never had problems once I started doing this even with wheat beers.

smokomark said:
Have a taste of your silicone spray.

Is that how you want your beer tasting?

When i was biabing, I used to clean the element with a drill mounted wire wheel prior to each brew.

I never had problems once I started doing this even with wheat beers.
Just tasted some, and i can't taste anything, but again a risk there as you say. What sort of grade was your wire wheel? I'm assuming a very fine one?

Cheers

avoid using the element before your sacch rest is complete. starch will burn onto the element, you should have a problem with sugar burning on. i had to drain my urn mid-brew clean and continue once.

definately can be done without silicon spray!

I used a cone type wire wheel with soft gold coloured bristles. About $5 at the local hardware.

What a discovery though if it did work. Would be interesting to do as an experiment in another vessel first.

You can get food grade silicon spray, can't remember where i got it from though, whether it would work dunno. I would have thought that wire brushing would make the element rougher and therefore stick more ... obviously not. I have a scrubbing brush stuck on the end of some aluminum tube and give the element a scrub after mash out [ turn element off first] .I try and keep the element as shiny as possible so it scrubs easy.

seamad said:
I would have thought that wire brushing would make the element rougher and therefore stick more ... obviously not.

I've done 30 odd brews since I started doing this and the element looks as good as new. No need anymore as the urn only heat water now,

It is a very light duty wire brush.

Back