Crown 40 L urn power usage

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samuel Adams

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been doing a few brews in my urn the past few months and just got a higher than usaul power bill.
I know the price has/is going up but my actual kw usage is up from previous bills.

Would doing a brew every two weeks make much of a difference in my bill ?

Does anyone know how much these babies suck per hour in a $ value ?

(Urn is a crown 40L concealed 2400w element purchased brand new and in good condition)

(Yes I seached google & forum)

Cheers :unsure:

well if you ran it full bore for 1 hour it would use 2.4kWH.

Multiply that by your tarriff and the number of hours you had it on for and it will give you a dollar value.

In a very simplified way, if your power is charged at say $0.27 / kWh then your 2.4kW element would cost about $0.67 an hour to run.

Sounds about right, I was paying around 40 cents for a one hour boil before electricity prices went feral.

edit: might want to do an audit of everything (maybe buy one of those plug in meters) and see if you are doing anything differently, e.g. leaving PC on 24/7 - are your fridges in good nick?

2.4kW x 1h x 0.27c kWh = 67c
Every fortnight means 6 per qtr bill which is only $4.

I'd be checking fridges, HWS, PC, incandescent lights etc.

Edit if you mash in urn and count boil-up time and do 90min boils you're going to be running it longer than 1 hour.

Awesome cheers guys, I didn't realise it was that simple with the 2400w stuff.

Yeah bribie I was scratching my head as to the jump. Missus was blaming my brewing gear - urn, ferm fridge etc.
I always try to turn stuff off not in use (I know the pc is thirsty)
Might be a fridge that is sucking more juice all of a sudden. I'll get a meter I think.

Thanks agian !!

:icon_offtopic: Great thread, Kev. I have a fairly late model fridge freezer in the garage which was our kitchen fridge but we bought a bigger Bottom-mounted freezer fridge when we moved here (you may remember dropping into Bing Lee when you were down this way)

I use the garage fridge now for storing curries and hops and cooling the odd six pack, so if I got a little chesty from Aldi next time they come up it would likely pay for itself in a year as opposed to the fridge freezer.

On topic, we switch everything off at the wall overnight, apparently "standby" mode can add 10% to your bills, and look at all those standby items sucking juice 24 hours, TVs Blu-Rays, printer, microwave, PC gear (some USB ports are "always on" and that little green light on the printer) - wifi router, clock in the spare room, phone chargers that still grab power even if no phone attached.

We even just light a candle for background light when watching TV, nice romantic glow and $1.99 for six candles :lol:

At least in this area nowadays there's 20° ambient dead on in the garage so I only need to ferment initially for a few days in the fridge then just turn off. I have a cube of water that just sits there on the garage floor and every now and again I zap it with my laser thermometer to check the current temp.

It takes my Crown Urn about 60 minutes to heat cold water up to strike temperature.

After the mash about 45 minutes to mash out to then to boiling.

I boil for 70 minutes.

So say 3 hours total 3 * 2.4 * .277 = $2 per brew for power

We have a good water supply here (voted best tasting in NSW) and a late model HWS so I just fill the urn with hot tapwater and a touch up with salts. Haven't used the RO for a wee while.

Back