Crony Keg Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kranky

Reaction score
I need to replace an O ring on the gas inlet to a corny keg but can't get it to budge. I'm using a basic tap spanner and can undo the beer valve no problems. I'm out of WD40 and have tried soaking it in hot water. Has anyone got any ideas how I might be able the valve off (preferably without a trip to the hardware store)?

Shock load it a bit, use short sharp applications of force, hit with hammer etc. You could also try putting a breaker bar over the end of the spanner and another through the handles of the corny to get more leverage. I have an impact wrench which sorts stuck nuts out on the car, never had to do it on kegs though. I would be using a spanner and mallet if that is all you have. Make sure the spanner is on the nut properly each time before hitting the spanner or you will round it quick smart. Remember, if you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Another good product is 'Bolt Off" though it would involve a trip to the HW store. I had a stuck bolt on my ride-on mower deck on the weekend and ended up having to use a 6 foot piece of pipe to get enough leverage to remove it. Just take care to make sure you are turning the right way. OT gotta love the names they come up with for products, a mate has a can of "start you *******" for getting his tractor going.

Another good product is 'Bolt Off" though it would involve a trip to the HW store. I had a stuck bolt on my ride-on mower deck on the weekend and ended up having to use a 6 foot piece of pipe to get enough leverage to remove it. Just take care to make sure you are turning the right way. OT gotta love the names they come up with for products, a mate has a can of "start you *******" for getting his tractor going.
:icon_offtopic: Great for sorting out SWMBO for a while too.. 24% Ether and CO2 propellent. :ph34r:

As mentioned, get a piece of pipe and lengthen your spanner. The extra leverage should do the trick.

Cheers
Nige

I hope it and it's 'crony's' aren't causing too much trouble down at the milk bar...

If you don't have a length of pipe then just use 2 combination spanners (ring & open end). Put the ring on the post and then link the other ring though the open end so they lock together. Doubles the leverage easy..

If you don't have a length of pipe then just use 2 combination spanners (ring & open end). Put the ring on the post and then link the other ring though the open end so they lock together. Doubles the leverage easy..

All of the above but FFS TAKE IT GENTLY bloke.

Back