Croizen But No Bubbles In The Airlock?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isaac1013

Reaction score
I have brewed a lot of beers with my partner, but undertook my first solo mission this weekend. Everything seemed to go fine. However after 32 hours, the beer has a substantial croizen but the airlock is not bubbling?

The final gravity was 1.050 (lower than desired)

I'm using a larger, three chambered airlock. Do you think this could be the problem? Any other ideas? Thanks!

I have brewed a lot of beers with my partner, but undertook my first solo mission this weekend. Everything seemed to go fine. However after 32 hours, the beer has a substantial croizen but the airlock is not bubbling?

The final gravity was 1.050 (lower than desired)

I'm using a larger, three chambered airlock. Do you think this could be the problem? Any other ideas? Thanks!

I personally don't monitor airlock activity as it's not really a useful indicator. Simply check the gravity after a week or so and go from there.

Dont worry about the airlock, if there is KRAUSEN on top of the brew, then its fermenting. The CO2 is just finding somewhere else to escape thats not through the airlock.

Also, the original/starting gravity is 1.050... the final gravity will be down around 1.015 or so, depending upon recipe.

Have a search for using gladwrap on the fermenter instead of using a lid and airlock combo. means youll never have to worry about the airlock not bubbling and is much easier to see how the brew is coming along

Sponge

EDIT: beaten to it

Thank you for the advice......and for the spelling lesson (hope Robert isn't on the internet right now!).

I'm feeling much better about things.

- the greenhorn

Thank you for the advice......and for the spelling lesson (hope Robert isn't on the internet right now!).

I'm feeling much better about things.

- the greenhorn

It's good that you're giving it a shot on your own. Use the forum search (Google option) to find the extract and kit beer designer spreadsheet. You can key in your ingredients and it will tell you what starting and final gravity readings to expect - this way you can tell when fermentation is finished (or close to it) by comparing the actual specific gravity reading you take and the predicted one. Most yeasts will finish in the ballpark of a couple of points (unless an issue has arisen).

Krausen is what you want to look for, rather than bubbling airlocks. Mmm, krausen.

Is it an Ale Yeast? A dried one? What temperature?
You'd probably expect that Krausen to stay for 3 days or so, then drop out leaving a little foam/trub floating on top.

All sounds good anyway, give it a sample with the hydrometer after a week or so.

So many beers get ruined in that first week with panic that things aren't working properly and then doing something unnecessary (pitching more yeast/adding sugar etc.), sounds like you did the right thing by asking the question, your airlock days are behind you!

It's good that you're giving it a shot on your own. Use the forum search (Google option) to find the extract and kit beer designer spreadsheet. You can key in your ingredients and it will tell you what starting and final gravity readings to expect - this way you can tell when fermentation is finished (or close to it) by comparing the actual specific gravity reading you take and the predicted one. Most yeasts will finish in the ballpark of a couple of points (unless an issue has arisen).

Wow, that spreadsheet is amazing! Thanks for that. Oddly enough, I haven't tried a kit beer yet - just AG (after months of 'apprenticing' :)).

I do have an ap on my iphone that should do something similar, but have not learned how to use it just yet (Hence your comment in the spreadsheet thread about how bloody confusing those things can be!)

Krausen is what you want to look for, rather than bubbling airlocks. Mmm, krausen.

Is it an Ale Yeast? A dried one? What temperature?
You'd probably expect that Krausen to stay for 3 days or so, then drop out leaving a little foam/trub floating on top.

All sounds good anyway, give it a sample with the hydrometer after a week or so.

So many beers get ruined in that first week with panic that things aren't working properly and then doing something unnecessary (pitching more yeast/adding sugar etc.), sounds like you did the right thing by asking the question, your airlock days are behind you!

I used the American Ale 1056. Mashed out at 170 F and it was at about 65 when I pitched the yeast. And yes, no more fret over airlocks!

Sounds perfect, enjoy your brew! :icon_cheers:

I used the American Ale 1056. Mashed out at 170 F and it was at about 65 when I pitched the yeast. And yes, no more fret over airlocks!

Ah so you're do a full mash? Nevermind what I saida bout the spreadsheet - your brew software (brewmate, beersmith, etc) will tell you the gravity predictions. That's even cooler - wish my wife would get onboard. The best I've gotten out of her was to help with some cleaning, which I'm not complaining about, but still!

Ah so you're do a full mash? Nevermind what I saida bout the spreadsheet - your brew software (brewmate, beersmith, etc) will tell you the gravity predictions. That's even cooler - wish my wife would get onboard. The best I've gotten out of her was to help with some cleaning, which I'm not complaining about, but still!

LOL...That's exactly why I wanted to brew my OWN beer, because otherwise I'm just cleaning and haeping to lift things the whole time!

Your wife helps with the cleaning! Where can I get one of those?

Back