Critique My Design

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just to clarify, as far as Im aware

Mill dust is not a problem in HLT, Mash or kettle. After all you are putting the milled grain in to the mash tun. The problem is only with parts that come in contact with your cooled wort.
So if your no-chilling then it shouldnt be a problem as far as I can see.

just to clarify, as far as Im aware

Mill dust is not a problem in HLT, Mash or kettle. After all you are putting the milled grain in to the mash tun. The problem is only with parts that come in contact with your cooled wort.
So if your no-chilling then it shouldnt be a problem as far as I can see.

This is what I was saying. I haven't had a problem and have been milling near the equipment for about a year. The equipment that I use gets with the cooled wort gets a good clean, then a sanitize right before the cooled wort is added, by which time the mill has been placed back into the shed anyway.

Its now a moot point as BalconyBrewer is going to mill away from the bench.

With the spiral burner, how are you going to move it from one place to another? Or are you going to move the HLT/Kettle.

I had a two tier system without a pump and did well without one. The thing is the lifting of the full mash tun or kettle to get gravity to do its work. You could easily move the wort from the mash to the kettle using a large sanitized bucket.

+1 for putting the HLT up but it may mean a conversion to an electric HLT or getting a second burner for the kettle.

Whatever way you go you will have fun.

Why would you go to so much trouble designing a frame and then use a bucket to move your hot water and wort around? Just make it a 3 tier system and you'll be laughing. HLT definitely at the highest point, MLT lower and kettle lower still. It wouldn't be too much extra work to creat a step between the high shelf and the low shelf.

I know you've already decided on the mill relocation which is good. I would've told you to move it like the others ;)

ok all, i am looking at upgrading from odd bits i find to setup on a brewday to a simple 2 tier system. key word here being simple, just want a nice organised system with some storage under it.

i batch sparge, no pump (not thinking of getting one) and no chill.

here is my current idea, please feel free to point out negative points, and any links to a similar system that works would also be appreciated

View attachment 24093

View attachment 24094

Morsey

You might want to spread the castors to each corner of the frame rather than just one... otherwise it's going to be a c*nt to push!

Attachments

• brewstand1.JPG
    brewstand1.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 19
castors on all four corbers mate, just to many cut and pastes involved.

any comment on yardys SS 2 tiered system????

no pumps that i can see???????

(hope he doesnt have any copyright issues)
hb.jpg

Pretty sure that was a mock photo before he finished it off. Or alternatively, send him a PM.

Reckon Yardy's system with the cooler up top is making work hard. Apologies to you and Yardy.

Go with gravity. Why scoop flaming hot water in pots, jugs and buckets up hill when you can just turn a tap and let it trickle down? Makes it dangerous and more difficult than it need be. Plus dropping hot water over your grain in a cooler from on high or perched on a ladder will disturb the grain bed and make clarifying wort a longer process. It's hard enough sometimes to climb up and put cold water in a high HLT. I wouldn't want to try it with hot water.

If you were setting up a poll I'd be with the consensus - HLT up high, Mash then Boiler 3 tier preferred. Or use Yardy's design and put the HLT where he has the Cooler, and be prepared to use the boiler on the ground under a flame and use the rest as bench space.

Hopper.

Before I had my current brewframe I did a lot of moving hot water around with buckets. Important lesson I learned: hot water=bad on skin. Go for two tiers if you have a pump, but three is really best if you only have gravity to drive your liquids around.

Back