Crispy's 2nd Ag

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crispy

Reaction score
The second AG is now under the belt,

Oatmeal stout.

Got home from work Friday, mashed the grain, had dinner, then the fun started..

The space shuttle burner performed well again, sparge water up to temp in about 4 minutes.

I batch sparged twice with a little less water each time, rather than the single batch sparge I did on the first AG. My efficiency was up about 6 points, so I;ll stick to this method for now.

I used Uncle toby's 5 min Oats, did'nt know what the yield would be from these, so I entered it in Promash as Flaked Oats.

A little later in the evening the burner entered boost mode when I was checking the footy score, I looked around fron 15 feet away to see foamy black stout exiting the big hole at the top of the pot then running across the cream tuscan pavers. :lol: ........I ran to the rescue, and without thinking thrust my hand into the boiling stream of wort to turn the engine down.... :eek:

Pain from the burn B) was reduced with cold water and a several IPA's :lol:

Left to cool overnight, I became paranoid about the yeast I intended to use, so raced of down to the G spot and picked up a 1026 British cask ale, which was ready to pitch, and is now bubbling away.

Later in the day SWMBO pointed out that my car was unregistered, as I forgot to pay it on friday. Luckily did not get pulled over. :rolleyes:

Final gravity ended up at what I had planned thanks to the better efficiency, but my volumes were a little out, ended up with 4 litres more than planned, now have 25 litres in the fermenter and 2 litres in a starter for the next AG - Midweek Porter.

If anyone has a killer Porter recipe, please post it.

Cheers,

Crispy

Oatmeal_Stout.jpg

Well done Crispy, I also did my 2nd mash on Friday night. This time i did a 3 X batch sparge and my eff. went from 50%, (using fly sparging) to 74% with the batch. Mine was an Oktoberfest.

Crispy,
Give this recipe a try, it is nice and simple but got me a third place at the Bathurst show.

Andrew

Brown Porter BYO
Brew Type: All Grain Date: 24/01/2004
Style: Brown Porter Brewer: Andrew Clark
Batch Size: 21.00 L Assistant Brewer:
Boil Volume: 26.53 L Boil Time: 60 min
Equipment: Andrew's Mash Equipment Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %

Taste Rating (50 possible points): 42.0
very nice dry beer, nice chocolate aroma and flavour

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.85 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3 SRM) Grain 83.5 %
0.50 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (74 SRM) Grain 10.8 %
0.26 kg Chocolate Malt (457 SRM) Grain 5.6 %
55.00 gm Fuggles [4.5%] (60 min) Hops 30.0 IBU
15.00 gm Fuggles [4.5%] (15 min) Hops 4.1 IBU
1 Pkgs Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.049 SG (1.040-1.050 SG) Measured Original Gravity: 1.047 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.012 SG (1.008-1.014 SG) Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Color: 27 SRM (20-35 SRM) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 34.1 IBU (20.0-30.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 2.0 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 4.8 % (3.8-5.2 %) Actual Alcohol by Volume: 4.8 %
Actual Calories per 12 oz: 155 cal

Mash Profile Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out Mash Tun Weight: 3.50 kg
Mash Grain Weight: 4.61 kg Mash PH: 5.4 PH
Grain Temperature: 22.2 C Sparge Temperature: 75.6 C
Sparge Water: 19.42 L Adjust Temp for Equipment: No

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 12.02 L of water at 74.4 C 67.8 C 60 min

Mash Notes
Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage Carbonation Type: Kegged (Forced CO2) Carbonation Volumes: 2.4 (1.8-2.5 vols)
Estimated Pressure: 86.8 KPA Kegging Temperature: 6.0 C
Pressure Used: - Age for: 2.0 Weeks
Storage Temperature: 11.1 C

Notes
Entered into Royal Bathurst Show 2004. Placed 3rd in catagory 120 points

Well Done - SJW,
you gotta be happy :D with that increase in efficiency, no more fly sparging for you, I'm guessing.

Cheers for that recipe AndrewQLD, I'll give it a go on wednesday.

I have 2 empty fermenters and 2 starters going (WLP004 and Wy1028) so I may have to do 2 midweek brews.....bummer. :lol:

Cheers,

Crispy

Latest posts

Back