Credit Card Scammed...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WarmBeer

Unhappy camper
Reaction score
So, I get an automated SMS this morning from my bank, ING, telling me my credit card account has been suspended due to suspect transactions at around 3:20 this morning.

All credit to them, I was sound asleep at that time of the morning, not spending $157.68 in Macy's, so their algorithms are working. So I give them a call back, get my card suspended, and will have to submit a credit card reimbursement.

Now I know all this, because it happened before, approximately 6 months ago.

Now, the kicker, since having my card replaced 6 months ago, I have used this particular credit card EXACTLY ONCE. This was confirmed by the ING representative. And the only place I have used this card is one of the sponsors of this site.

I'm not about to name names, and I believe they're a very reputable business, but has anybody else had any issues with their online purchase details being stolen from any of the sponsors?

tldr; Credit card details stolen. I suspect one of the sponsors has been hacked.

Interesting thread. I would assume a sponsor hasn't been deliberately mischievous, so we'll make the assumption they have a vulnerability in their site that they are not aware of.

Let's help them with this.

Interesting thread. I would assume a sponsor hasn't been deliberately mischievous, so we'll make the assumption they have a vulnerability in their site that they are not aware of.

Let's help them with this.
Yes, I will give them the benefit of the doubt for now, and will see if anybody else on this forum has had the same, unfortunate, experience.

If so, I will give them a heads-up incase they don't know they've been hacked...

would it be possible that your PC has been hacked?
Everything is possible.

However, I don't believe there's a high probability of my Ubuntu PC, sitting behind a hardware firewall, having been hacked. If I was running Windows XP, yes, I'd be concerned.

i'v had the same happen twice in the last 6 months or so as well (one just over the weekend). it's not been a massive amount taken both times, less than a dollar but still i'v had to replace my card.

i do use the card alot over the internet so it could have been taken from anywhere. still it would be interesting to know if we shop at the same place and it may have happened there

I assume you've spoken with the retailer and alerted them to the issue?

that really sucks.

http://sucuri.net/

run some security scans and they come up clean which is a relatively good sign. But once you're in the secure portal, who knows what kind of nasty handy work has been injected into the code.

I assume you've spoken with the retailer and alerted them to the issue?

that really sucks.
Have spoken to the retailer, he is going to check his end and get back to me.

Given that there hasn't been a large number of other complaints, I'm thinking it may just be a random event. Throw enough semi-random (i.e. Credit Card) numbers around, some of them are likely to stick.

Have spoken to the retailer, he is going to check his end and get back to me.

Given that there hasn't been a large number of other complaints, I'm thinking it may just be a random event. Throw enough semi-random (i.e. Credit Card) numbers around, some of them are likely to stick.

There isn't really such thing as a random event in this regard.

had my credit card numbers used by a service station employee a few years back.
she tried to buy a lounge suit for herself as a chrissie present from a well known retailer,
transaction was refused,she spent her xmas break in a cell...justice done....
and she was sacked from the job and now has a criminal record.. dumb as dog shit that one no doubt....cheers.......spog...........

It might not be a breach by one of the sponsors.

I had one of my cards done once a few years back. It was a visa debit card linked to my savings a/c that I had never used. The bank advised that what the scammers do is once they find a card that works they just start changing the card number 1 digit at a time until they find more that they can use.

I had a message this morning on my phone, Also used my card at a sponsor( yesterday) some fraud company rang me at 9 o'clock today and said some American company tried to withdraw $800 but kept getting security numbers on the back of the card wrong. Massive inconvenience.

This is starting to sound more worrying.

i bought some tool a flight to Turkey last year... now everyone should get the chance to go to Turkey it's a nice place to holiday

but I was not saying I would pay for tickets :angry:

i use the card heaps nearly exclusively instead for cash but the day before i used the card in a Cab..... hmmmm but who knows

sucks to have to ring all the direct debits that might come out of the card and reorganize them

Back