Crazy American threads

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

good4whatAlesU

Reaction score
so..am trying to get this amicon keg up and running but I'm having some difficulties with the threads.

The post has some kind of weird 3/8 tapered thread (doesn't fit anything I can find), with a 7/16 unf male adapter.

The ball lock posts I've ordered are 1/4 inch. I figure I need some kind of 7/16 to 1/4 unf adapter?

Am I screwed (excuse the pun).
Is this "thread" going nowhere?
wp_ss_20170911_0001.png

americans will be NPT threads, which are fairly close to BSPT , normally only about 1 TPI difference.
You can sometimes get away mixing the 2 with lots of PTFE tape, but ideally you'd use the right stuff.

cheers guys. It's making my brain hurt.

john guest reckons 7/16 unf is equivalent to ffl 1/4. Not that that helps necessarily...

I plugged it into the bunnings thread finder and one end is definitely 7/16 unf.

Last edited:
Thanks Moog you were onto it. The port tapped into the keg is a 1/8 NPT. The adapter looks to be a 1/8 NPT to 7/16 unf (male - male) fitting.

Will go searching for options to convert either of these to suit the 1/4 BSPP ball lock post. ... ye gods.

Crazy Americans !!!

Thanks Moog you were onto it. The port tapped into the keg is a 1/8 NPT. The adapter looks to be a 1/8 NPT to 7/16 unf (male - male) fitting.

Will go searching for options to convert either of these to suit the 1/4 BSPP ball lock post. ... ye gods.

Crazy Americans !!!

The real craziness is why we are still using BSP in Australia 43 years after we officially went metric.

There's no hope for the Septics and their "Freedom Units"

Thanks for the tip, ill investigate a SS option.

nothing ordered as yet. I still might get my big bro around (he's a fitter) to drill the effer out and tap in a metric.

pipe threads are tapered, so they seal very high pressure, the old BSPT and NPT are still the only options I know of, and they've been used forever.

The real craziness is why we are still using BSP in Australia 43 years after we officially went metric.

There's no hope for the Septics and their "Freedom Units"

Well F me. whoever wrote that has very little idea. while most of it (that I have read) is true, it has been twisted

Traditional recipes use units such as cups, tablespoons and teaspoons. This are units are readily visualized and are based on utensils in our homes. Metric recipes use milliliters and grams. Unfortunately for cooks, these are abstract concepts invented by scientists that are impractical in the kitchen. Let's keep our recipes understandable and practical.

And what the **** about US and Imperial units being totally ******* different.

the old BSPT and NPT are still the only options I know of, and they've been used forever.

Turns out you are right, the ISO adopted the British system and renamed it, so an ISO 7/1 R 1/4 is just 1/4 BSPT under another name.

Well F me. whoever wrote that has very little idea. while most of it (that I have read) is true, it has been twisted
And what the **** about US and Imperial units being totally ******* different.
Don't try to understand the logic n87. Some people are completely deluded / so up their own ass that they can't see reason and rationale. Take a certain President or Hanson and their respective supporters, for example.

Don't try to understand the logic n87. Some people are completely deluded / so up their own ass that they can't see reason and rationale. Take a certain President or Hanson and their respective supporters, for example.

As an American metricator I'd like to offer a 'measured' response. Idiots in all countries have figured out how to make web pages.
Not all Americans feel that way. Viva la Metric-cion.

Back on topic: it took me 2 years to find the right flared fitting for a project once. I still get mixed up on the different standards.

the whole nominal bore concept totally thew me the first time i encountered it coming from an electrical/metric thread background, it seemed strange that the thread dimensions had zero bearing on the quoted size.

I would be careful of using brass in your keg. It will very likely give you a nasty flavour taint.

Slight issue, I can't easily locate any SS versions of the 1/8 (NPT) to 1/4 (BSP) adapters. But I can easily get brass, for reasonable price.

What are thoughts on coating the inside of the brass with Loxeal or something (picked up idea from the galling thread). The Loxeal is food safe and dries hard (and I can keep using it for other stuff - so not money wasted). The brass adapter is only around 2 cm length (okay, 1 inch Lol).

Edit: I like Lyrebirds silver coating example, but just too dear I think for a $5 part ...

Last edited:
Yes you would think. But 1/8 npt is not 1/8 inch. It's around 3/8 inch.

Crazy Americans!!

Back