Crazy Ale (need Some Help)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty

Reaction score
Last night i made up an ale that included,

Two cans of Coopers Real Ale
500g Light Dried Malt
20g of Ringwood hops
Coopers + Morgans Yeast

Now when i was making it i put all the ingrediants in a saucepan and boiled it up but when i added the light dried malt it just stuck to itself and made a big ball of gum that wouldnt dissolve. How do you add light dried malt so it doesnt do this??

Also the morning after i went to check on the fermenter and there was very little water in the airlock but there was alot of krausen trying to get out. So worried that it might get infected i added more water and now it is bubbling like crazy, when i say crazy its like sticking a straw into a glass of water and blowing continuosly.

Is it all going to be ok?

Thanks in advance, Scotty

With DME, the best way to dissolve it is just to add it slowly. If you whack it all in at once you'll get big globs of the stuff which are a PITA to break up (as I suspect you know). I don't think it's important whether it's dissolved or not, entropy will take care of that over the course of primary fermentation. :)

With respect to your fermentation, did you add both packets of Coopers yeast? I did a two can Coopers stout brew as my second brew, using both yeast packs. A day and a half after pitching I came back from a night out with my other half to see that the 7 L of headspace had been annexed by krausen and a brown foam sculpture had been deposited where the airlock once was! :eek: I quickly fitted a blow-off tube, and it all went fine. There's not much chance of anything getting into your brew at this stage I don't think!

RDWHAHB! :chug:

Whats a blow off tube?? that might work. Yes i did add two packets of yeast, one coopers and one morgans. I just took a reading and its down to 1034 from 1052 in just 12 hours, at this rate it will be done by sunday!!

Just a sanitised length of 3/8" tubing. Stick one end into the airlock hole and submerge the other end in an icecream container containing the sanitiser of your choice. It works just like a big airlock, but any krausen ends up in your icecream bucket full of sanitiser rather than spewing out the airlock. :)

just wondering, how big is your saucepan? two kit cans alone in a small saucepan would make for some pretty thick boiling wort. add some dme and it may be tough for it to dissolve. just a thought.
joe

Hmmmm dried malt extract dissolves just fine in cold water. Add 200-250g at a go, stir, add next lot etc untill all the extract is in, bring to a simmer stirring occasionally. Watch out for the foam caused by coagulated broken down protein as it can cause a boilover.

I am not a fan of boiling kits: if you want to do a full wort boil it is way cheaper to buy bulk Coopers liquid extract.

Jovial Monk

Holy Crap, after 24 hours the gravity is down from 1052 to 1020!!!!!! its already 4.5% alcohol after one day!!! is this normal?? This has never happened to me before and i have been brewing for a while... What do i do now?

Leave it! There's nothing wrong with a healthy yeast population doing the job quickly and effectively... :)

As has been said previously: RDWHAHB

Chatty

Hey guys
If you were wondering, that crazy ale i made tastes delicious. I would recomend it to everyone. It tastes very similar to James Squire Amber Ale.

Scotty

Back